Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224022 - 28/10/2003 21:58 Failed to set silent seek?
dalewoodian
stranger

Loc: Meridian MS
Well I tried to upgrade my hard drive to a 120gb and this is what I get when the player software tries to boot up: Failed to Set Silent Seek, it says this on the bottom left hand of the main screen where it says HSX-109, anybody know whats going on here? I can put the old drive back in and it comes up fine. You think the drive is bad? Or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,

#224023 - 29/10/2003 04:07 Re: Failed to set silent seek? [Re: dalewoodian]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Failed to Set Silent Seek

Some hard disks have a mode called "silent seek". In this mode, they make the disk quieter by moving the heads more slowly. It's a tradeoff between speed and noise.

Apparently, the new disk that you just put in doesn't support this mode, and the Central is complaining about it. Alternatively, as you say, the disk could be bad. Have you tried the disk in a PC?

It seems to me, however, that failing to start up at all is a bad thing. Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do about this.

Try the disk in a PC. If the disk is bad, send it back and try another one.
If the disk is OK, this means that it probably doesn't support "silent seek". You'll probably need to replace it with a model that does if you want the Central to use it.

Alternatively, if you're up to the job, you could replace the kernel on the Central with one that masks the "failed to set silent seek" error, so the player starts up anyway.

#224024 - 29/10/2003 05:35 Re: Failed to set silent seek? [Re: Roger]
dalewoodian
stranger

Well that sucks.
I tried the disk in a pc and its ok.
The drive is a Seagate barracuda 120gb 7200rpm, guess i should have got one that has already been tried on a central. I knew I should have went with a Maxtor!

Thanks for the info!

#224025 - 29/10/2003 07:35 Re: Failed to set silent seek? [Re: dalewoodian]
Micman2b
addict

Loc: Central, NC, USA
I ran into problems upgrading with an IBM drive, it would not boot on the central. I went with a Maxtor drive with no problems.

Sean in NC
80gb MK2a empeg spare

#224026 - 29/10/2003 23:43 Re: Failed to set silent seek? [Re: Micman2b]
dalewoodian
stranger

Yeah, we might need to post in the FAQ that some larger drives may not work in the central. The one I tried was a Seagate ST3120022A.