Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224472 - 25/01/2004 14:41 Rio Install Image Format / Process Question...
geeknerd

I have a workable program that plays internet radio on the central. It's not pretty, but it's functional. I'd like to distribute it.

Thus, my question...

Does anyone know how the install cd process works? Ideally, I'd like to make an iso available (in addition to source of course) so that it can be burned to disk and installed with a minimum of fuss.

#224473 - 26/01/2004 02:34 Re: Rio Install Image Format / Process Question... [Re: geeknerd]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Does anyone know how the install cd process works?

Just poke around on the install CD. There's nothing particularly clever there: no boot sectors, nothing hidden. If I remember correctly, it's just a configuration file and an installer binary. The CD just gets mounted with -t iso9660 and the binary is run.

There might be some complication where upgrading the kernel is involved, but I believe that you can skip that step -- I don't recall how, though.

#224474 - 26/01/2004 13:06 Re: Rio Install Image Format / Process Question... [Re: Roger]
geeknerd

Sweet, thanks.

I take that to mean there's a kernel loaded, etc, when it calls the binary installer on the iso9660, so I don't have to worry about loading one myself, etc. Is that correct?

Is the setup similar to the rio receivers where there is a kernel in flash which boots, then loads the kernel on HDD?

Also, I noticed that there is a jtag *and* a com port on the motherboard. I want to hook up to the com port so that I get the console debug information. Does anyone have the pinout for that port?

Thanks again!

#224475 - 27/01/2004 03:16 Re: Rio Install Image Format / Process Question... [Re: geeknerd]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I take that to mean there's a kernel loaded, etc, when it calls the binary installer on the iso9660, so I don't have to worry about loading one myself, etc. Is that correct?

Yes, IIRC.

Is the setup similar to the rio receivers where there is a kernel in flash which boots, then loads the kernel on HDD?

Yes, again IIRC.

#224476 - 15/05/2004 18:13 Re: Rio Install Image Format / Process Question... [Re: Roger]
geeknerd

I'm finally getting around to balling up the i-net streaming media program, and I was going to make it all nice and use the "upgrader" iso format to do the installing...

So I made a nice small batch (/bin/bash) file called "upgrader", burned it to cd and popped it into the hsx109. It recognized that it was an "upgrade" cd and asked me if I wanted to perform the upgrade. I selected "apply upgrade" and the screen went blank.

Now I can't boot, and had to take the hsx apart to remove the cd. The strange thing is that the upgrader batch file didn't do much of anything but:

1. run /bin/rw
2. set, mount, pwd > /upgrader_out

That's it!

Does running the "upgrade process" make some changes that prepare the hsx for a software upgrade? If so, I need to be able to figure out what it does so I can undo it, or find a different method for installing the program.

In the "games" directory, there were some files which indicated how to setup additional "games" (or in my case internet radio). Is there some method rio had built into the hsx to install games? I'm starting to think that using the "upgrader" path might not be the best idea.

Now I'm going to pull out the hdd and put it into an external drive reader so I can see what's up with the HDD.

Does anyone have any comments, thoughts or ideas?

#224477 - 15/05/2004 22:23 Re: Rio Install Image Format / Process Question... [Re: geeknerd]
geeknerd

I figured it out. I had / mounted twice and had to reboot the machine. That caused problems with the filesystem.

To resolve the issue, I needed to pull out the hdd, attach it to my other linux box and run fsck on it. It took me entirely too long to remember that / is a reiserfs file system.