Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224670 - 03/03/2004 08:12 Receiver expansion
ukengb

Loc: United Kingdom
Has anyone any thoghts on the following?

Aux/Audio IN port to use Receiver's built-in amp and speaker outlets.

And/or can anyone suggest how best to stream radio on my network with a digital radio tuner (has digital out), my linux server and a bunch of Rio Receivers on the network? I'm not really sure where to start.

Video/TV out port to replicate the small built-in screen display on a larger display.

Specificaly, I'd like to be able to control the Receiver that is next to the rest of the Home Cinema kit, to be able to play the mp3s and also to be able to actually SEE what I'm doing with the remote from the other side of the room by having it display to the TV. Something simple like a composite video signal would do. What are the chances of being able to do that? Anyone already doing it?

#224671 - 03/03/2004 11:59 Re: Receiver expansion [Re: ukengb]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Two of those three things require significant expense and time to design new electronics to solder into the receiver. So they're unlikely to happen unless you want to be the guy who designs and builds those things.

The third thing (streaming digital radio) is purely a server-software question. Have you tried looking at the third-party server products for the Rio Receiver? They can serve internet-radio streams such as shoutcast streams. If you can figure out how to turn your digital radio into a shoutcast (or similar) stream, then you can probably do it.

#224672 - 03/03/2004 13:33 Re: Receiver expansion [Re: tfabris]
ukengb

Loc: United Kingdom
The audio issue is not too much of a problem to be without, even though it would be handy to have.

But the video out idea I think would be worthwhile as there are a number of people who have indicated that not being able to see the display from any distance is a bit of a problem.

Still, it's certainly beyond my capabilities (designing it that is), but I wondered if anyone else was considering it, makes more sense than weather forecasts.

#224673 - 31/03/2004 13:41 Re: Receiver expansion [Re: ukengb]
random
stranger

>And/or can anyone suggest how best to stream radio on my network with a digital radio tuner (has digital out), my linux server and a bunch of Rio Receivers on the network? I'm not really sure where to start.

I'm guessing
1) the tuner is USB
2) you can use it on your linux box already
Well the rio is a linux box too. If it only had a USB port, you could run the same software (command line to start with).

Start with the Linux USB developers site.

----------
I don't like the shoutcast solution sugested. Instead how about:

1) If anyone already has a linux way to share USB radio over ethernet it will work for you.

2)The radio is probably spittling out already fully decoded audio for AC97, (Shoutcast is mp3 encoded (i think), the rio decodes it into what the radio is already spitting out then plays it)

a) the rio needs a linux wav player (which exist)
b) Your linux box needs to suck in the usb stream and resend in as an ethernet stream (propbably simple in perl)
c) a ui on the rio to talk to the linux box which then talks to the radio (so you can change channels)

3)
some magic hardware to let the rio talk USB, and the standard linux usb driver for your radio.

However all the ethernet/USB adapters I've seen are
USB host <-> (converter usb client<->ethernet) <-> ethernet
and you need
USB client <-> (converter usb host<->ethernet) <-> ethernet

but I could be worng there, Again the Linux USB developers site is the place.