Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224876 - 04/06/2004 19:29 CentralStreamer
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Silly little app I cooked up months ago, held back releasing it until it was better, it never got better, but just today I finally made it work with hierarchical playlists. It's probably super buggy and I could swear that I had more to do on the readme file than what's there but now I don't remember what I was gonna say in there. Anyhoo, I'll make an actual web page for it and such, once I can connect to my ISP's web server again.

Basically, it's just a silly little VB app that shows you the playlists and songs on the Central and then when you double click on one, it sends it to Winamp or Media Player or whatever. Lets you browse the Central from your PC desktop.

Attachments
5093-centralstreamer12.zip (391 downloads)

#224877 - 01/07/2006 16:43 Re: CentralStreamer [Re: tfabris]
laserfan
stranger

Loc: Frozen North
Quote:
Silly little app I cooked up...

Indeed! I was surfing for info on the Central's ability to serve IP addresses, and tripped-across this lonely 2-year old post.

Now just a minute later, I have "Please Please Me" blaring-out from my XP computer, causing no end of spontaneous joy.

Thanks!!!

#224878 - 01/07/2006 17:36 Re: CentralStreamer [Re: laserfan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

What I'd really love to see is something just like it but that's entirely web-browser based and that will run on any system (mac, PC, linux, etc.). Ideally in Java or Javascript, I'd think. Maybe I'll make one some day, if no one beats me to it.

Because now my media player that's hooked up to my TV set is a Mac Mini, and this is a windows program that won't run on the mac mini.

#224879 - 02/07/2006 11:25 Re: CentralStreamer [Re: tfabris]
laserfan
stranger

Well, it's very cool as it is. The only thing I'd change: if upon launch it assumed a selection (of Playlist or Albums or something) then I wouldn't find myself staring at the empty window for a few seconds before realizing that I have to press a button!

But I'm glad you built it and that I found it!

Dude, you made me LOL this morning:

"If anyone needs an IT guy to answer "is the network down?" every 17.2 seconds, please forward my resumé to your overlords."

I think in our office it was more like 14.6 seconds but hey, damn close!!!!

#224880 - 02/07/2006 18:10 Re: CentralStreamer [Re: laserfan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

That's a good suggestion. That'll go on my to-do list. Thanks!

And thanks, I'm glad you liked that comment. You don't happen to know anyone in the Seattle area who needs someone to do that for them, do you?

#224881 - 03/07/2006 01:46 Re: CentralStreamer [Re: tfabris]
laserfan
stranger

Quote:
You don't happen to know anyone in the Seattle area who needs someone to do that for them, do you?

No, sorry--I did know someone at Boeing way-back-when. But I think he got laid off!

I'm surprised though. I would think that nerdy super-tech guys like you, but who can actually communicate (nice web site!) would have an easy time up there.

p.s. "Nerdy tech guy" = term-of-endearment. We have to stick together!

#224882 - 03/07/2006 05:09 Re: CentralStreamer [Re: laserfan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I would think that nerdy super-tech guys like you, but who can actually communicate (nice web site!) would have an easy time up there.

Yeah, you'd think.

The problem is that there's a lot of us. I keep getting to the second interview but then get scooped by some fresh-out-of-college kid who will work for peanuts and praise.