Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#226403 - 10/07/2004 23:27 Networking Rio Receiver question
Jemmi

After having some major issues with conflicts with the HPNA card in my computers (tried it in 3) and the normal ethernet connection (It was constantly losing ethernet network connection... would have to reboot).

Anyway... is this situation possible: I have HTPC computers close to both receivers and they are both connected to my network via 802.11b. They each have an onboard network connector. Would it be possible to connect the receivers to these ports and set it as a private connection and then connect wirelessly from my media server computer to these computers and stream like that? First of all.. I'm not great at networking... I know enough to be dangerous... I know I can get the connections made. I guess an alternative is to run the server software on both htpc's separately but I would prefer for the media server to be the music server for the Rio's also...

Does this make any sense and if so can it be done this way?

Jemmi

#226404 - 11/07/2004 15:14 Re: Networking Rio Receiver question [Re: Jemmi]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The point of networking is to connect everything to the same LAN so that you only need one media server. You seem to be talking about running the server on more than one computer. Why would you want to do that?

#226405 - 11/07/2004 15:59 Re: Networking Rio Receiver question [Re: tfabris]
Jemmi

I DON'T want to do that... please read what I wrote again

#226406 - 11/07/2004 17:07 Re: Networking Rio Receiver question [Re: Jemmi]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So I'm unclear on what exactly is stopping you from just networking everything.

#226407 - 11/07/2004 18:27 Re: Networking Rio Receiver question [Re: tfabris]
Jemmi

I live in an apartment. I cannot run network cable everywhere. I know without adapters, the rio receivers don't run wirelessly and even then I have to use tRio because I have to run Jreceiver because of database sizes and there are issues running tRio wirelessly from all I've read. SO what I am wondering is can I run ONE media server with the server software on it. THEN wirelessly connect to my two HTPC computers and have the receivers connected to the HTPC computers... basically using the HTPC computers as a bridge. This limits the wiring issue and keeps me from buying wireless adapters for the receivers. It sounds silly, I know, but I'm just brainstorming. I'm a mechanical engineer... not software or electrical... think in terms of what I have available

Jemmi

#226408 - 11/07/2004 20:54 Re: Networking Rio Receiver question [Re: Jemmi]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
basically using the HTPC computers as a bridge

Ah gotcha!

Yes, you can do that, but it's easier just to get a wireless bridge. Stuff's always easier when it comes in a pre-made box.

Note that you might need to get a cheap 10mbps hub to stick between the Receiver and the bridge, since the 100mbps ports on bridges are sometimes incompatible with the receiver (similar to this).