Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#231036 - 18/08/2004 16:01 I am a convert...xPLRioNet is EXCELLENT!
TechnoDoc
new poster

After a few weeks of playing around with xPLRioNet, I now officially consider myself 'converted'. After maxing out ARM, and taking the JReceiver/tRio plunge, I stumbled on the current thread about xPLRioNet and decided to give it a try.

First of all, since it runs as an 'NT' service, it is no good to the Linux people out there (obviously), but if you are running Windows NT/2000/XP on your server machine, this is the way to go! Simply unzip the installation package, configure your setup (easy) and start the service. It has its own database, Rio client software, and web server built in...and best of all, it has a browser-based front end that is editable! It took me just minutes to install, and in the few weeks I've been using it, the author has published several upgrades (also easy to upgrade!). It has many advanced capabilities (text to speech, integration with other xPL devices, Philips Pronto universal remote support, and more...), but I find that it performs the two main functions I need (MP3 and Shoutcast streaming) flawlessly, in an easy to setup and maintain environment.

I have played around with the web front end, and have published a modest replacement for the standard interface on the very active xPL Yahoo! group ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ukha_xpl ), if anyone is interested.

I highly recommend this excellent replacement software for anyone who needs more than the stock ARM software, who doesn't want to mess with installing all the pieces required to get JReceiver/tRio working (MySQL database, Jetty web server, JReceiver audio server, tRio client software, Rio driver software).

Regards,

#231037 - 01/09/2004 13:05 Re: I am a convert...xPLRioNet is EXCELLENT! [Re: TechnoDoc]
shawnharper
new poster

What date did you post that replacement front end? I'm interested.

And I have to echo your comments. For me, a non uber-programmer, the xpl has saved my receivers from going on eBay.

#231038 - 02/09/2004 00:58 Re: I am a convert...xPLRioNet is EXCELLENT! [Re: shawnharper]
TechnoDoc
new poster

I posted it to the files section of the xPL Yahoo group on August 4th.

I'm about due to release another version any day.

#231039 - 22/11/2004 17:58 Re: I am a convert...xPLRioNet is EXCELLENT! [Re: TechnoDoc]
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
For those using Rio(Dell) Receivers and XP, xPLRioNet is really a slick solution. Give it a try! More in this thread too.

At first I was leary of this post, as it seemed like some kind of self-serving plug to proclaim an app you're involved in as excellent, but I must agree! Once I got my head around some IP configuration issues, it was easy to install, seems to overcome server limitations, and appears to be flush with other capabilities. I really like the web-based control of the players, too. Great job to those who put this together!

#231040 - 23/11/2004 02:52 Re: I am a convert...xPLRioNet is EXCELLENT! [Re: time]
Jerz
addict

Loc: Jesusland
Well, I'm trying it but the service won't get past "starting" so it doesn't appear to actually start. I can pull up the web interface only on the computer it is installed on (which is xp running in virtual server 2005, ran into the same thing when I tried installing it on a Window Server 2003 though). I tried hitting the scan link and it's telling me "Scan Queued".

Well it's late I'm tired so I'm probably doing/not doing something stupid. I'll try again tomorrow.

#231041 - 23/11/2004 06:38 Re: I am a convert...xPLRioNet is EXCELLENT! [Re: Jerz]
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
I had the same problem when I tried to get it going, but it was because I didn't have it completely configured. Be sure you get all the configurations set up correctly. I had to put the service in manual reboot to stop the "Starting" process (though there was probably a better way...)

Once all the settings were completed it came right up. PS. don't be afraid to turn the the DHCP on as it is only broadcasting on a particular port and will not serve up IP's to other client PC's.