Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#231818 - 28/08/2004 20:00 Anyone using SuSE 9.1 with jreceiver?
riocanada

Loc: Ontario, Canada
As I mentioned in another post, I can't seem to get jreceiver started because jetty can't seem to talk to MySQL.
All the components work ok by them selves, but not togther.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

$JREC_HOME/bin/jrec_jetty.sh start

I've tried to find some relevant description to the problem, but so far am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

(BTW, the MySQL daemon is running!)

---jetty.log---
22:31:12.369 EVENT Starting Jetty/4.2.21
22:31:14.382 EVENT Started WebApplicationContext[/jrec_serv,jar:file:/usr/local/JReceiver-0.2.5/dist/jrec_serv.war!/]
22:31:14.953 EVENT connection-pool-init: getProperties: external file=/usr/local/jreceiver/etc/jreceiver.properties
22:31:15.171 WARN!! connection-pool-init: JRec: unable to load pool configuration
Root cause: java.sql.SQLException: Cannot connect to MySQL server on localhost:3306. Is there a MySQL server running on the
machine/port you are trying to connect to? (java.net.ConnectException)
at org.gjt.mm.mysql.Connection.connectionInit(Unknown Source)
at org.gjt.mm.mysql.jdbc2.Connection.connectionInit(Unknown Source)
at org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:512)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)
at jreceiver.server.util.db.ConnectionPool.getNewConnection(ConnectionPool.java:203)
at jreceiver.server.util.db.ConnectionPool.initializePool(ConnectionPool.java:193)
at jreceiver.server.util.db.ConnectionPool.<init>(ConnectionPool.java:49)
at jreceiver.server.util.db.ConnectionPool.getInstance(ConnectionPool.java:79)
at jreceiver.server.util.db.ConnectionPoolInit.init(ConnectionPoolInit.java:30)
at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:256)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.start(ServletHolder.java:220)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initializeServlets(ServletHandler.java:445)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler.initializeServlets(WebApplicationHandler.java:150)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationContext.start(WebApplicationContext.java:458)
at org.mortbay.http.HttpServer.start(HttpServer.java:663)
at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.main(Server.java:429)

#231819 - 28/08/2004 20:38 Re: Anyone using SuSE 9.1 with jreceiver? [Re: riocanada]
possingk
stranger

Loc: PA
I am using SUSE 9.1 and jreceiver. Some of the issues I found with this was that I had to go into mysqlcc to change the passwords. I went in and had to change the one that was for the server name myself, it seemed that localhost always worked to change, then because that was already encrypted, I copied that password into the one for my server in my case Homer. Open your user table and make sure that you have passwords in for all of the users needed for that machine.

After you changed the xml file for jreceiver were you able to see the tags page correctly?

#231820 - 28/08/2004 22:54 Re: Anyone using SuSE 9.1 with jreceiver? [Re: possingk]
riocanada

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Which database are you refering to, the 'mysql' or the 'jreceiver' database?
Based on the logs from my system, it looks like I'm not even connecting to the database engine.

Did you use the Java and MySQL that came with SuSE 9.1 or did you download the latest driectly from Sun and MySQL respectivly?
(I'm using the SuSE distributed ones and added jetty and jreceiver).

I'm glad that you've got it working, that means it can be done, it's just not as simple as I'd hoped it would be.

I've been rockin' with tRio on a Windows 98 server for many, many months and hope that I'd make an easy transition to my Linux box.

Cheers,

Jim.

#231821 - 29/08/2004 16:39 Re: Anyone using SuSE 9.1 with jreceiver? [Re: riocanada]
possingk
stranger

I downloaded both java and mysql new from their sites, I was referring to the mysql database. Make sure that you can connect to the mysql database, and select * from user; this is where your encrypted passwords should be.

The reason I downloaded the new mysql was that I could never get the one included with SUSE to work.

#231822 - 29/08/2004 19:24 Re: Anyone using SuSE 9.1 with jreceiver? [Re: possingk]
riocanada

Hi again,
Quote:
I was referring to the mysql database

I had a feeling that I wasn't being clear on my question.
When you start MySQL and issue a "Show databases;" command
MySQL shows you the actual databases that it is managing.
By default you get two; one called "test" and one called "MySQL" (which appears to be a control database for the entire MySQL DBMS).
After you do the jreciever setup, a new database called "jreceiver" is created. It contains all the information about the music collection, and some user information. So when you played with passwords, which database within the MySQL system did you use?

Quote:
The reason I downloaded the new mysql was that I could never get the one included with SUSE to work.

Interesting. When you say you couldn't get it to work, what that you couldn't get MySQL to work at all or you couldn't get it to work with jreceiver?
I can get MySQL to work fine, just not with jreceiver.
I have no problem using the downloaded Java and MySQL, I just want to confirm that this is what my problem is, that the SuSE provided Java and MySQL don't work with jreceiver!

Cheers (and thanks again!),

Jim.

#231823 - 30/08/2004 15:06 Re: Anyone using SuSE 9.1 with jreceiver? [Re: riocanada]
possingk
stranger

When I changed the passwords, I changed them in the MYSQL database not in the jreceiver database. This allowed me to connect to MYSQL both in localhost mode and in @Homer mode.

When I said that I couldn't get the MYSQL that came with SUSE 9.1, I did in fact mean with jreciever, it seems to me I was getting similar problems JReceiver was unable to connect to the database.

Tonight when I get home from work, I will try to set everything up on my laptop and make sure I make note of all the issues I have, I don't believe I have installed the new MYSQL on that box yet. I will let you know how things work there maybe that will help.

Since I have it working on my server, I should be able to compare things.

#231824 - 30/08/2004 20:24 Re: Anyone using SuSE 9.1 with jreceiver? [Re: possingk]
riocanada

Hi,

I made some progress! I tried the latest MySql and Java. No difference.
So, in the what-the-heck-try-anything spirit, I changed the 'localhost' reference in $JREC_HOME/etc/jreceiver.properties to my actual host name and it worked!
Anyway, this led me to conclude that this line
::1 localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback
in my /etc/hosts was confusing jrec/jetty. Once I commented this out, I could use localhost again.

If you could check your hosts file to see what yours has, that would be great.

Thanks for all of your help.

Cheers,

Jim.