Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#236604 - 05/10/2004 13:05 Amplifier is coming (to install in my BMW 328IS)
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Finally working toward getting the empeg back into my car. Have just bought the following amplifier to run the entire system: JL Audio 500/5 ( www.jlaudio.com/amps/5005.html ) (eBay of course)

I'll be using all stock BMW wiring for the empeg and amp (minus the power and ground). Should provide a noiseless install as everything for the stock system is already using UTP. This also means I can put the amp and external cross-overs in the trunk (where the battery is - excellent).

Making a new harness for the amp connections at the back using Molex Mini-Fit Jr. connectors (ordered from Mouser) and will be using a standard HU adapter plug up front to connect to the empeg's ISO and pre-out connections. New speakers will also use stock wiring and will be wire-tapped.

I have yet to order speakers, but I'm leaning toward JL Audio for those as well. Had really good luck in my (now stolen) Integra and I don't see a reason not to go that route again. 5.25" woofers in the front with 1" tweeters and 4" drivers in the back. I'll want a single 1-" sub in a small enclosure, but I haven't decided what to do here yet (may go JL for that as well later this year or early next).

Feels good to know I'll have the empeg back in my car soon. Or "soonish" anyway. I still have to make all those molex plugs... Anyone know where I can find a decent, but cheap, crimper (for the contacts)? ie. NOT $100 or $200 but more like $20...

Bruno

#236605 - 05/10/2004 15:30 Re: Amplifier is coming (to install in my BMW 328IS) [Re: hybrid8]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Nice amp!

Been thinking of upgrading the amp in my system, from the 6-channel Audiobahn I'm currently using. This is one of the options I'm considering, along with a pair of variants from DLS...

#236606 - 05/10/2004 18:37 Re: Amplifier is coming (to install in my BMW 328IS) [Re: hybrid8]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I'm not a big car audio nut, which might explain why this is the first 4 or 5 channel amp I've seen that had more power sent to the fronts than the rears.

#236607 - 05/10/2004 22:08 Re: Amplifier is coming (to install in my BMW 328IS) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
DeadFire
addict

I also thought that was odd, at first. But now that I think about it, the rear speakers in my car sit right behind the passenger's head. It has become quite often that I have passengers which don't always appreciate the excessive volume I enjoy. Thus, having a good deal less power for the rears, where the speakers are extremely close ot the listener's ears, does actually make sense to me.

And of course some might argue that this would help to significantly pull the sound stage toward the front of the car, which is where it should be for stereo audio anyway.

#236608 - 06/10/2004 01:43 Re: Amplifier is coming (to install in my BMW 328IS) [Re: hybrid8]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I got a decent (but cheap) crimper at Active Components -- about $20-30 or so, and crimps several sizes of pins. Basic no-name brand that the sales dude hauled out when I was wincing at the $100 name-branded one..

-ml

Edited by mlord (06/10/2004 01:49)

#236609 - 06/10/2004 01:48 Re: Amplifier is coming (to install in my BMW 328IS) [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Photo of crimper attached. Might have been about CAD$30 or so at the time.

Attachments
235611-crimper.jpg (270 downloads)

#236610 - 06/10/2004 10:47 Re: Amplifier is coming (to install in my BMW 328IS) [Re: hybrid8]
DBALKUNJR

I have a pair of the Channel Lock 909 Crimpers
They have them at ToolKing.com for $17.99
Toolking

I have had much better results with this crimper than the multi use wire stripper/crimper type.

MK2 12Gb
MK2a 60Gb

#236611 - 06/10/2004 23:48 Re: Amplifier is coming (to install in my BMW 328IS) [Re: mlord]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I think I have one of those (that style) of crimper around here somewhere. I didn't know that was the tool for the pins I'll be using. I've only ever used it to crimp the simple bullet and spade connectors that come with the plastic covers (yeah, really technical description).

So which part of a multi crimper like that is used for the types of pins I'll need for the molex parts?

EDIT... Ok, I don't have the crimper after all. Hmmm.. Must be at my dad's place as i only have one with a different crimping section (the one i described above). Also just finshed reading a bunch of "proper crimping" info - damn, there's a lot to get right.

Bruno

Edited by hybrid8 (07/10/2004 01:07)

#236612 - 01/11/2004 04:17 Re: Amplifier is coming (to install in my BMW 328IS) [Re: mlord]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Bought the crimper last week sometime, $23 at Active (regular current price). It makes decent crimps. Funny thing it's rated for the pin size I'm using, but not the wire size. And the pins are definitely for this wire size. When I went into the store one of the sales people pointed me to the other model (red handles) which upon closer inspection is for the larger pin sizes only (at least that's what it says on the package.

I've done about 20-25 crimps so far (in making the cabling to go between my amp and factory wiring). I should be cutting the main stearo/amp harness on the car this week and then have some 60-80 more crimps. The bad part is that half of those will have to be done in the trunk of my car. That's not going to be comfortable.

I spent the better part of today (and all yesterday afternoon) in and out of the trunk of the car. Head first... Feet first... Sideways... You name it. I felt like a circus performer. But, the amplifier is now securely mounted to the top side of the trunk (under parcel shelf). Connection-side faces IN toward the cabin, so no wires will be visible. The amp isn't even visible unless you duck your head when looking in. I fabricated some nice aluminum brackets to hold evverything in place. Everything worked out well (cuts and bends all the correct measurements and angles on first try). I also ran my 4ga power wire and ground wire. Also wired up the subwoofer (JL Audio 10W6) and mounted it into its new enclosure (.64cf sealed Q-Logic box). And (as luck would have it) the enclosre fits perfectly under the mounted amp. I actually neglected to measure this but it worked out perfectly. The angle at which I mounted the amp gives me access to all its controls and terminals from inside the car, and creates a super-snug fit for the sub box under one of its mounting brackets. I think I'll make a bracket to secure the box next and use a large thumb-screw (cap bolt with a plastic cap) as a quick-release.

I'll take some pictures and post them soon (of the install as well as some parts used before I put them in place). I would have liked to document the entire process, but I simply didn't/don't have the time. Not while doing all this labour and not for putting up decent info afterwards. There's already a bunch of nice BMW stereo information out there and from reading some forums people are already ignoring it without me putting up another page to be ignored (don't run RCA cables in a BMW - it's already got UTP from front to back - just adapt it).

Bruno

#236613 - 01/11/2004 13:16 Re: Amplifier is coming (to install in my BMW 328IS) [Re: hybrid8]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Sounds cool...will be looking forward to the pics.

#236614 - 12/11/2004 04:16 Re: Amplifier is coming (to install in my BMW 328IS) [Re: JBjorgen]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

It LIVES!

Still need to tweak the amp (adjust cut-offs and sensitivity) but it all sounds very nice. Wired up the last of the connections (speakers and line-levels to amp) this morning. But something was amiss and after work I pin-pointed it as the left tweeter not making much (any sound). Finally tracked it down to a wiring problem (custom connector I made was using the incorrect pair of wires - but that was the fault I discovered, of the wiring diagram I found on the net - argh).

All in all i had to do some custom wor on the new JL tweeter mounts to fit them to the factory mid grills in the doors as well as make some circular mounts for the 4" coaxials I mounted in the factory speaker housings in the trunk (most people just remove the housings and install speakers directly onto the rear shelf - this would suck with a sub-woofer pounding in the trunk and creating unwanted presure on those speakers).

I will take pictures of the mess of wires in my trunk this weekend. I still have to disconnect everything from the amp again, route the wires cleanly, cut back the sub wire, zip-tie everything neatly and then put back the section of trunk liner that covers that area. I suppose I should also make a small bracket to attach the subwoofer to the car itself, lest it come loose from its wedged position and tumble in the trunk someday...

Now... Where's my red empeg lense hiding.... Someone's going to be receiving a PM in a few minutes..

Bruno

#236615 - 12/11/2004 12:28 Re: Amplifier is coming (to install in my BMW 328IS) [Re: hybrid8]
djc
enthusiast

Loc: chicago
Hey Bruno,

The lens just went in the mail yesterday. Sorry for the delay!

--Dan.

#236616 - 12/11/2004 20:15 Re: Amplifier is coming (to install in my BMW 328IS) [Re: djc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I was actually talking about someone else I was going to paypal a few bucks to for a lens. Hehe. I still didn't have their email address for PP.

Thank you again for your offer!

Bruno

#236617 - 16/11/2004 05:16 Re: Amplifier is coming (to install in my BMW 328IS) [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

A bit of a description with images has been posted to the install forum:

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/240847/an/0/page/0#240847

If anyone is contemplating a BMW install, now's the time to ask me about my experiences - before I forget.

Bruno