Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#23681 - 26/12/2000 00:34 Re: Ethernet Problems [Re: bonzi]
drakino
carpal tunnel

In reply to:

I think this attitude is one of main reasons there is no such thing as Digital Equipment Corporation any more.

I work at one of the old DEC facilities now that it's Compaq, and there are quite a few old Digital people around, and the additude has stayed. Like them calling all the Proliant servers "PC's", including some 8 way boxes.

#23682 - 26/12/2000 03:21 Re: Ethernet Problems [Re: drakino]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
In reply to:

I work at one of the old DEC facilities now that it's Compaq, and there are quite a few old Digital people around, and the additude has stayed. Like them calling all the Proliant servers "PC's", including some 8 way boxes.

Just to remember that those were revolutionaries of 40 years ago, those who cracked IBM absolute dominance and notion that only kind of computer is mainframe in glass room attended by misterious people in white coats... Sad.

And boy, were those PDPs robust: misswired protective ground on wall socket where a terminal was plugged (it was live) once caused a serial board on PDP-11/34A I worked with to literally catch fire. I hit power off, yanked processor cage open, and used some rag to extinquish the fire (housing of TTL-to-RS-232 level conveter was burning). Needless to say, apart from affected board, the machine continued working, even the board itself was later repaired.

As you know by now, I am geting old...

Season greatings everybody!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2