Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#237427 - 13/10/2004 03:52 Hong Kong?
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
I'm going off to India again, and I decided to take a few days of layover on my way back. At the moment, I'm looking at about 6 days in Hong Kong. Any recommendations? (My other option would be a few days in Thailand.)

#237428 - 13/10/2004 05:35 Re: Hong Kong? [Re: canuckInOR]
MarkH

What would you like to know ?

In general, you can be a tourist in HK in about a long weekend, unless you have a burning desire to visit the scene of every Jackie Chan movie ever made. Major sights are the Peak (a view, some restaurants, nice walk, shopping), the Lantau Buddha (steps, and lots of them, buddha, shopping), Stanley (bus trip through the smart real estate, restaurants, shopping), junk trips (sightseeing, water ski, restaurants, shopping), etc. Accomodation runs from $30 a night including all the salmonella you can eat, to some of the world's best full-on luxury hotels at around $300.

As you can see there's all sorts of shopping going on, but it's not necessarily cheaper than at home for genuine goods. You can also pop over the border to China (about an hour on the train, visas needed) and get yourself a truckload of Guccci or Channel or Luois Vuiton bags at $10 each. Also many genuine antiques (and if they don't have what you're looking for they can run one up for you while you wait). And of course DVDs that fully respect the laws of copyright.

Other possible destinations to consider:
Vietnam: I would say Saigon is more interesting than Hanoi
Singapore, could also include Kuala Lumpur or Bintan (Indonesia)
Cambodia: Angkor Wat is truly astonishing
Shanghai: see the 21st century getting going
Beijing: Great Wall / Forbidden City etc tourist heaven

Regards

Mark

#237429 - 13/10/2004 11:53 Re: Hong Kong? [Re: canuckInOR]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Quote:
(My other option would be a few days in Thailand.)

[murray head]One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster. The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free... [/murray head]

#237430 - 13/10/2004 12:13 Re: Hong Kong? [Re: Cybjorg]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Chess.

#237431 - 13/10/2004 13:36 Re: Hong Kong? [Re: MarkH]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
Also many genuine antiques (and if they don't have what you're looking for they can run one up for you while you wait).

In addition to some of the stuff you mentioned, I really enjoyed some of the mundane -- probably 20 trips on the Star Ferries, the train ride to/from the new airport, a 2-3 hour boat tour of the huge harbor to gawk at the endless rows of container cranes. While I didn't buy much, I really enjoyed the electronics+everything bazaar around Apliu Street in Shim Shui Po (easy subway ride).

I mananged to stay at the Rennaissance on the perks level for ~$100 USD based on (long-gone) Marriott status. Bland, but fancy/comfy enough and handy. I'd still like to go back just to hang out. If I did go back I would try to call hotel manager ahead and see if I could cut a deal. The hotel market has been pretty soft post-SARS, I think.

I'd also like to go back to Bangkok, but it is a tougher go for somebody who likes to walk. Damned hard to breath after about 2 hours outside!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#237432 - 13/10/2004 15:43 Re: Hong Kong? [Re: jimhogan]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
I mananged to stay at the Rennaissance on the perks level for ~$100 USD based on (long-gone) Marriott status.

Heh, I've still got my Marriott status, shame my membership to the Marriott club gives me no perks whatsoever.

Cheers,

Andy M(arriott)..... in case you hadn't guessed

#237433 - 13/10/2004 16:13 Re: Hong Kong? [Re: andym]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
You could catch the hydrofoil to Macau too, a little bit seedier than Hong Kong, nice food markets

#237434 - 13/10/2004 16:20 Re: Hong Kong? [Re: andym]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
Heh, I've still got my Marriott status, shame my membership to the Marriott club gives me no perks whatsoever.

I think I was Marriott "silver" when I booked that room for $100 for 4-5 nights. When I showed up and they put me on the 39th floor with free lounge, breakfast, evening munchie buffet/drinks, that was unexpected.

Something I will do again? I took their long-ish "How was your stay? questionnaire with me and mailed it back saying how well I had been treated (and I had been). A month later I received a very nice (it looked to be a one-off, hand-typed) letter from the hotel manager offering his thanks for the survey comments. I still have that letter, and if I do have a chance to go back, I will send him another in advance -- "well, shucks I am no longer silver, but I would *love* to stay on 39 again!' and see what happens.

I never thought that much of those questionnaires and comments until a colleague sent a hand-penned series of compliments to the manager of the Renn in Sao Paulo. At the next staff meeting, staff he mentioned were called upon to take bows as the letter was read aloud. This gent was treated well prior to that letter, but from that moment on he was *really* treated well.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#237435 - 14/10/2004 03:27 Re: Hong Kong? [Re: MarkH]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Quote:
What would you like to know?

Well, at this stage, anything, really. I just decided to spend my layover there yesterday, so I haven't really had the opportunity to go digging about to see what there is to see. I'm probably less interested in being a tourist, than I am in "being". Oh, and since I discovered that only 30% of the place is city, I'm looking forward to checking out the non-city, too! Everyone's suggestions have given me a good place to start.

In other news, I mentioned this HK layover to a mate at work, and it turns out he was going to be there, visiting friends, the week after me. So after a quick chat with my boss, I'll be pushing the schedule back a week, and I now have a tour guide, and possibly a place to couch surf, too!

#237436 - 14/10/2004 10:29 Re: Hong Kong? [Re: canuckInOR]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
You could actually spend a couple of weeks there, as there's a lot to see that's off the tourist path. Check out www.lonelyplanet.com and pick up their book. From traveling about asia and living in Taiwan, I found that the lonely planet books had most of the insider tips it took me so long to learn on my own.

While you're in HK, be sure to visit the "Ned Kelly's Last Stand" pub at night. They have a fantastic band. It's in Kowloon near the Peninsula, but get a taxi to bring you there, it's kind of in a alley that I know how to walk to but couldn't tell anyone how to get there.

Since good indonesian food is impossible to get here in LA any more, you can try some there. Most places are good. My favourite place is off Nathan street in Kowloon. If you start at the kowloon hotel and walk away from the bay, it's on a cross street to the right, about 4 streets up. Huge sign that says 'indonesian'.

I stayed at a hotel called the "shamrock" on nathan. It was $75 us back in 1996, when every other hotel was $300. It's old but nice and should be cheaper now, since everything is.

Just one other caution, buy a surgical mask at Sav-On or Rite Aid and wear it on the plane trip. On those really long plane trips I used to always catch a cold or flu or something horrible. I noticed that it's common for the Taiwanese to do this and since I started, I have never gotten sick on a plane. On a recent trip to Germany, I was the only one on the plane wearing a mask and the only one of my group not to have a cold when we landed.

Have a great trip.

#237437 - 14/10/2004 13:07 Re: Hong Kong? [Re: larry818]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Quote:
Just one other caution, buy a surgical mask at Sav-On or Rite Aid and wear it on the plane trip. On those really long plane trips I used to always catch a cold or flu or something horrible.

Or just take a batch of Cipro before you go, since it kills everything.

#237438 - 15/10/2004 14:28 Re: Hong Kong? [Re: canuckInOR]
bbowman
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
I went to HK last spring - it was my first time in east asia (I had already been to India) and I had a blast. It was just a week, but I hardly slept and was hardly sober. I had a couple of suits made and became acquainted with the wonders of Absenthe - so much so that I got minor alchohol poisoning near the end of the trip and walked through the airports with a fever. My face lit up on the temp monitors, but the lady watching them was distracted so I got through. phew! I had a great time and the bartenders were quite friendly - particularly to a lush like myself.
Still looking for a good way to install in a 2010 BMW 3 series with iDrive/NAV

#237439 - 17/10/2004 03:33 Re: Hong Kong? [Re: bbowman]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Heh. Clothes shopping, I might do, but as I don't partake in libation, I'll not follow suit in the rest of your adventure.