Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#242666 - 27/11/2004 05:28 1996 toyota celica
Dbqsmurf
new poster

Does any one know how much of a pain in the butt it is to install the empeg in a 1996 celica?? First the sled is too big then opening in the dash is too small so if any one had done it let me know what all you went threw to install it.

#242667 - 28/11/2004 04:45 Re: 1996 toyota celica [Re: Dbqsmurf]
utna
new poster

Loc: LA, CA
it was probably similar to my 1995 toyota truck:

riocar.org photo gallery

on setting it in the frame, there were two side brackets that attached to the frame, and originally held the doodad tray, and the stereo. i put my head unit on the bottom, and just sandwiched the empeg case thingy on the top. it was tight, but it worked out well. it never moved.

i used a dremel on the plastic to make the opening wider, and then a black sharpie to blacken it.

#242668 - 28/11/2004 09:14 Re: 1996 toyota celica [Re: Dbqsmurf]
mdavey
enthusiast

Loc: Wellingborough, UK
Quote:
Does any one know how much of a pain in the butt it is to install the empeg in a 1996 celica??

Yea, I've done the install. Never got around to posting pictures and install guide.

It isn't the most straightforward install, but isn't horrendous either. The install does require some competency in metalwork and plasticwork (not sure the latter is actually a word, but you'll get my meaning).

For the fascia, you have three options:
  • find a Celica at a scrapyard and remove its centre console fascia
  • buy a replacement centre console fascia from your Toyota garage (expensive)
  • just carve up your own centre console fascia and worry about the resale value of the car at a later time.

Once you have decided which centre console fascia you are going to modify (the one that came with the car, or one you got from elsewhere), refer to a Haynes manual or similar to locate the lugs that hold the centre console fascia and the lugs and screws that hold the gearstick fascia in place.

Remove the gearstick fascia and move it out of the way by turning it round 90 degrees and towards you slightly (you could unscrew the gearstick and completely remove the gearstick fascia, but it isn't worth the effort).

Next undo the screws holding the centre console fascia in place (previously hidden by the gearstick fascia) and use a very large flat-bladed screwdriver to prize the logs out of their retaining clips. Take your time and lever each lug a little before moving on th the next one, revisiting each lug several times. Make sure you get the screwdriver right under the fascia or you could end up scratching something. Again, reference to the Haynes manual is very useful at this point.

The clock and hazard warning light are attached via plugs, so these can be unplugged to completely free the fascia. The hazard plug MUST be plugged back in again before you attempt to drive the car, as the indicator circuit is broken with this unplugged.

Next, remove the entire DIN cage by unscrewing the hex bolts. The cage has protrouding locating pins. You need to drill holes in the Empeg sled in the correct locations so that the pins will penetrate the hole you have drilled. You will also need to drill holes in the cage to secure the sled to the cage. If you have the ability to thread the drilled holes in the cage, so much the better. Take your time planning where to drill to ensure that the lip on the sled ends up just behind the centre console fascia so that the Empeg fascia sits flush with the car fascia.

You will need to cut off the Toyota wiring harness and replace with a standard DIN plug. I found the wiring diagram on the 'net at the time, but don't have the URL saved. I'll look for it again later.

If you had both radio/cassette and CD, you may want to see if you can locate a Celica/MR2 DIN blanking plate from the scrap yard. and fit it in the other bay.

I used 2x2channel US Blaster amps and placed them in the glovebox, which is kept locked. The amps aren't great but they aren't bad either. They are, however, good value for money. A four channel amp could be placed behind the glovebox at the top of the passenger footwell or (making the install a bit more difficult) in the boot. If you don't have air-con, you might get a small amp to fit above the glovebox near(ish) the passenger air bag, where the air-con module would be if fitted.

If you place the Empeg in the top DIN slot, you need to keep an eye on the temperature inside the case as the cabin air vents are directly above the top DIN and aren't air-tight so you could end up blowing chilled air or hot air directly onto the hard disk drive.

If you won't have any kind of radio in your Celica after the install, don't bother connecting up the power ant. lead.

I'll try to post some pictures and further details later.
Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741

#242669 - 01/12/2004 20:48 Re: 1996 toyota celica [Re: mdavey]
mdavey
enthusiast

Loc: Wellingborough, UK
Okay, here are the photos from my '99 Celica. Sorry it took so long:

http://riocar.org/modules.php?set_albumN...=view_album.php

Some corrections and additions:

I used a scalpel (X-acto knife) and a razor saw to modify the plastic. If you have a Dremmel, that would be easier. You need to leave small rounded edges in the corners - not as rounded as the unmodified plastic. Let the Empeg fascia be your guide. Take your time.

I said that I cut off the Toyota wiring harness. I mis-remembered this. I actually used a Toyota-to-DIN harness adaptor from a car accessory shop (Halfords, I think). I did dismantle the Toyota CD unit harness but it turns out that both the control and the audio signals are pretty non-standard.

The power from the Amp was spliced into one of the thick power cables under the steering column. If you want to do this the same way, send me a PM and I'll have a routle around and report back exactly which one I used. The ground from the Amp was attached to the bodywork using a lug and an existing bolt under the carpet near the door. Use a milliameter to check that there is a good electrical connection between the wire and a known good grounding point after bolting the other end to the car.

I'll post an exterior shot at some point in the next few days.
Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741