Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#243488 - 07/12/2004 00:01 How best to do whole house music?
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
I know there's been some discussion on this topic before, but I had some specific questions that I haven't seen discussed here, so I'd like to start the discussion again.

Basically, now that I've transferred every CD I own to FLAC (about 400GB worth), I'm trying to figure out how to listen to my music around the house. I've been casually glancing at solutions to this "problem" for a few weeks, and I'm not quite enamored with any of them.

There are probably over 100 devices out there that will play music outside of the computer, but as far as I've seen, all of them either a) also attempt to be a storage vault for all of your music (AudioRequest, Rio Central, HP DEC, etc.), or b) expect to play music that's stored on a PC somewhere (TiVo HMO, SqueezeBox, SoundBridge, Rio Receiver, etc.).

The a) group would be fine if they could support enough drive space, and also act as a server to something in the b) group (without being restricted to only one particular device in the b) group). I think those requirements knock out the Central, and maybe the other a) options as well. My problem with the b) group is that I don't want to dedicate a PC to the task of storing music. Generally speaking, computers use way too much electricity, and give off way too much heat and noise. I want to have music available 24/7, but don't want to leave a computer running 24/7. Even if I could use something like wake on lan to start the computer up only when needed, it's still overkill for the little work it's actually doing to serve the file.

My main objection to the dedicated PC is electricity (my bill's WAY too high), but it's also that my regular PC doesn't, um, work all the time. I semi-regularly take it apart to goof with it or reconfigure things, which would leave the rest of the house un-musiced. Even just a periodic reboot would screw up what someone else in the house might be doing with the music.

So, the way I see it, my solution lies with the idea of separating the storage layer from the presentation layer, but having some separate storage box instead of a PC. Then, the options are plentiful as far as what to use for playing boxes.

So, here are my questions:

1. Does anyone know of any box that I could throw a couple of hard drives in that could just connect to the ethernet and talk SMB?

2. Barring that, is there a board or kit to set up a really low power linux PC? (Doing this would let me run a SlimServer, or Rio server, or UPNP AV server, and potentially allow a much wider choice of playing boxes)

3. Is there any other solution that I haven't thought of that meets the criteria above, plus the additional criteria of being easy and cheap (ideally $100-$150 sans drives)?

(Note: I'm not at all interested in video storage for this application. I've only got one TV that I actually watch, and I'm in love with my TiVo, so I'm not even thinking about HTPC or video archiving or any of those things yet. That being said, if the storage box had TV out or something and could do double duty as a playing box, that'd be cool. But, I'm afraid that it won't do that job as elegantly as a stand-alone playing box would, yet would add significantly to the expense, and to my time (picking out some jukebox app to run and getting it configured).)

I'd be very interested to hear anything anybody has to say on the subject, or any thing that they themselves have done to get their music around the house

Thanks in advance,
Aaron

#243489 - 07/12/2004 02:45 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

How about something like the Linksys NSLU2 ?

Just add a couple of USB hard drives and you're done.

#243490 - 07/12/2004 03:36 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: genixia]
adavidw
addict

I had seen that before, and kind of dismissed it. I did a quick scan of the user's guide from the Linksys website and couldn't determine whether it spoke SMB or required some client side software. So, I just assumed it wouldn't work and moved on.

So, since you mentioned it, I looked around again to find that, yes, it does speak SMB, and it actually does run Linux (and replacement firmwares exist). I haven't found any reference to anyone running a Rio Receiver server or Slim server on it, but I would assume it's possible. Even if not, some of the playback boxes I'm looking at (like the Roku HD1000 or the Audiotron) just scan an SMB share, so that works.

Here's the problem I have with the NSLU2, now: It's not a single box. To put 500GB of storage on it would mean I would have the NSLU2, its power supply, two hard drive boxes, two USB cables to connect them, and possibly power supplies for the two hard drives (since I have no idea if the hard drives I would use exceed the power available on the USB ports). That mess would not be nearly as elegant as a single box would. I wouldn't be able to as easily move it from one spot to another, or pick the whole assembly up and take it to work (where my library currently resides) for the initial loading of music. Sure, I could always duct tape all the pieces together, but I think I'll keep looking a little bit further.

Having said all that, the NSLU2 really comes close to what I'm looking for. So, anyone know of something like that in a single box?

Other solutions I've looked at: Mini-ITX boxes like the Shuttles seem attractive, but they seem to be designed with the idea to cram the most powerful system possible into the smallest space. Plus, they're usually super loaded with all sorts of things I don't need or want for this application. The ones from SolarPC look good, but the cases aren't big enough to hold two normal size hard drives unless I spend too much, and even then I get a 2U case much bigger than what I need. There are lots of SBC boards that might work, but I don't know anything about what cases might be available for them and whether any of those would work. In addition, an SBC is probably too expensive since it's geared towards vertical markets.

So, any other ideas? Here's a nearly meaningless incentive: I'll PayPal $5 USD to whomever suggests the solution closest to whatever I finally end up with.

#243491 - 07/12/2004 05:17 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I'd be tempted to build a PC anyway. In a typical modern PC, the typcial energy users are:

1) CPU. GHz+ processors are hungry. Good news - for file serving a couple hundred MHz is plenty. Use a low end P3 or higher end P2, and you'll cut this consumption to the point where passive cooling (ie no fan) is a possibility.

2) Graphics. Modern 3D cards are getting to be as powerful as the CPUs. Good news - you don't need it. Any built-in or cheap 2D capable card is enough to configure your beast, and if you're not running GFX intensive programs you won't use much power at all.

3) Hard Drives. hdparm is your friend. Set the spin down to a few minutes.

4) Power supply inefficiencies. Roughly proportional to outputted power. Since you won't be using much power the power wasted here isn't much either.

You should also look at embedded boards on ebay. The embedded world often has strict power requirements so you'll find other options, eg the NS Geode (basically a P2 MMX compatible CPU) that has low power requirements. Many are linux compatible, but you should do your research first. Beware that the board is often the easiest part to get - most of them use 0.1" IDC headers for nearly all their cabling so you'd need to source or make cables to connect a keyboard or other peripherals. Also beware of power supply requirements - they can usually be satisfied by a standard PC supply but you'll probably need to rewire it.

#243492 - 07/12/2004 06:37 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: genixia]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
The Via EPIA stuff (here) is also pretty low power. Include things like spindown as genixia suggested and you'll get about as low power as possible given you want reasonably instantaneous access to 100s of gigabytes of music.

And if you can underclock them you'll save more power.

#243493 - 07/12/2004 08:22 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
mdavey
enthusiast

Loc: Wellingborough, UK
You could pick up a single-slice Acorn RiscPC with Ethernet from Ebay for around 150 GBP, install 2 HDDs (there are three internal spaces so you can choose between CD or floppy) and install ArmLinux. The PSU is huge but only 70W.

Make sure you get one with Ethernet as the Ethernet module was not a standard item and are now hard to source (and for £50-£100, rather expensive).
Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741

#243494 - 07/12/2004 08:46 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Having said all that, the NSLU2 really comes close to what I'm looking for. So, anyone know of something like that in a single box?

You can use Lacie Biggerdisk gear to get your two drive boxes down to one. (Assuming the NSLU2 deals with >128G disks, but if it doesn't you're in trouble either way.) And it wouldn't surprise me if there were next to no electronics in an NSLU2, and you could mount it inside the Biggerdisk somehow. Failing that, of course you don't have to carry the NSLU2 with you to work for initial loading, only the Biggerdisk.

Otherwise, I'd say get a VIA mini-PC (http://www.mini-itx.com), underclock it (I have a Pentium 200 that's way overpowered as a Rio Receiver server), and think about getting Sonos boxes (http://www.sonos.com) -- if their PC-side software lives up to its online demo, it's the best I've seen in this game. In particular, it's the only one I've seen that lets you collect clients into synchronised zones and do proper running-order editing on each zone from a central location. Plus it'll allegedly do other neato stuff, like stream any client's line-input out of any other client's output. The only issue with Sonos is that it's not UPnP -- if you want UPnP, the easiest way is to put Windows XP on your server (probably not then underclocking it), and Windows Media Connect, and get Netgear MP101s as the clients.

Peter

#243495 - 07/12/2004 09:07 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: mdavey]
peter
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You could pick up a single-slice Acorn RiscPC with Ethernet from Ebay for around 150 GBP, install 2 HDDs (there are three internal spaces so you can choose between CD or floppy) and install ArmLinux.

OP is in the US, where getting a RiscPC would be somewhat harder. And for that sort of money you could buy vintage Sun kit and run SparcLinux on considerably more reliable hardware.

Quote:
Make sure you get one with Ethernet as the Ethernet module was not a standard item and are now hard to source (and for £50-£100, rather expensive).

Ah, but think of all the hard work that went into the RiscOS drivers for those Ethernet modules! (Well, ANT EtherM and Ether3 at least.)

Peter

#243496 - 07/12/2004 09:15 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I'm sure this isn't quite what you wanted, but how about this:

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/tera-itx/

#243497 - 07/12/2004 10:11 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: peter]
mdavey
enthusiast

Quote:
OP is in the US, where getting a RiscPC would be somewhat harder. And for that sort of money you could buy vintage Sun kit and run SparcLinux on considerably more reliable hardware.

Many of the ebay sellers will ship to the US at cost (although waiting for spares to turn up from Europe could be frustrating). All my Acorn machines are still running and are still stable - Acorn kit seems as reliable as Sun kit to me. There is also the advantage of having very nearly the same CPU and OS as the Empeg.

I will concede that there are strong merits to using Sun kit, especially the coolness factor You'd have to go pretty far back in time to find a Sun box with a 70W PSU, though: SPARCclassic, SPARCclassic X, SPARCstation LX or ZX; or some SPARCstation 4s (50W). Edit: also, these Sun boxen can be picked up for $30-$70 in the US so that fits his 3rd criteria (criterion?) much better.

#243498 - 07/12/2004 12:08 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: mdavey]
peter
carpal tunnel

Quote:
All my Acorn machines are still running and are still stable - Acorn kit seems as reliable as Sun kit to me.

My RiscPC is completely stable under RiscOS but sig11s under load in Linux. I'm sure Linux is just stressing it more.

Quote:
I will concede that there are strong merits to using Sun kit, especially the coolness factor You'd have to go pretty far back in time to find a Sun box with a 70W PSU, though

Only fairly new Suns (Ultra 5 and newer? newer than any of mine, anyway) have IDE (or PCI for adding it). And 70W PSU isn't really the issue -- it's not like it draws 70W the whole time. A 150W PSU with a load of 40W isn't going to draw much more current than a 70W PSU with a load of 40W, especially if its fans are on thermostats.

Peter

#243499 - 07/12/2004 12:12 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
the NSLU2 really comes close to what I'm looking for. So, anyone know of something like that in a single box?

There are lots of them. Check out this list of them at NewEgg. If that URL expires for some reason, NewEgg->Shop by Category->Modem and Network Devices->Network - Hard Drives.

#243500 - 07/12/2004 12:46 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: peter]
mdavey
enthusiast

Quote:
My RiscPC is completely stable under RiscOS but sig11s under load in Linux. I'm sure Linux is just stressing it more.

Interesting. Of course, it is totally Schrodinger until you perform a core dump analysis (to determine whether it is a hardware or a software fault)

Quote:
Only fairly new Suns (Ultra 5 and newer? newer than any of mine, anyway) have IDE (or PCI for adding it).

Yes. Ultra 30 was the first, in May 1997 followed closely by the Ultra 10, Ultra 5 and Ultra 60 (though not necessarily in that order). IIRC, PCI and IDE were added at the same time, although I guess you might be able to get an SBus IDE card for older machines.

Quote:
70W PSU isn't really the issue -- it's not like it draws 70W the whole time. A 150W PSU with a load of 40W isn't going to draw much more current than a 70W PSU with a load of 40W, especially if its fans are on thermostats.

Okay, but the newer Ultras (e.g. U5) have 400W PSUs to support the chipset, expansion bus and IDE drives, and typically run at around 300W.

To ADW: How do you feel about SCSI disks?

#243501 - 07/12/2004 12:52 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
This probably isn't the kind of solution you want, but it works for me. Buy a set of big speakers and run it at blast!

#243502 - 07/12/2004 12:58 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: mdavey]
peter
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Interesting. Of course, it is totally Schrodinger until you perform a core dump analysis (to determine whether it is a hardware or a software fault)

No, it fails in different places each time. It's hardware.

And I wasn't really pushing Sun as a good solution for a media server -- an old-model but decent-brand PC would be cheaper and quieter -- but I reckon they're better value than RiscPCs if a secondary goal here is playing with honourable antiques or with Linux.

Peter

#243503 - 07/12/2004 13:11 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
peter
carpal tunnel

Quote:
NSLU2

OK, I've just found the NSLU2 Linux pages, and their package list goes busybox, DAAPd, ntpclient, nano, nethack.

I like their sense of priorities

Peter

#243504 - 08/12/2004 05:50 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: Shonky]
adavidw
addict

Lots and lots of replies! This is great! I'll try to address as much as I can.

Quote:
The Via EPIA stuff (here) is also pretty low power.

I had looked in general terms at mini-itx boards and found them to be overkill. Now that I'm looking specifically at the EPIA boards, I do believe one of them might work for me. There are quite a few, however, so the key would be to find the one with basically the least features at the least price, and then find a modest, unassuming case capable of holding two drives.

I did also find some mini-itx boards using the Geode (like genixia suggested), but couldn't find prices. The other Geode boards I saw were SBCs that were way too costly.

Either way, assuming I could find a suitable case (one that doesn't have neon or anything, and has the right venting to run this thing fanless), I'm kind of leaning towards a EPIA solution right now.

#243505 - 08/12/2004 06:30 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: peter]
adavidw
addict

Quote:

You can use Lacie Biggerdisk gear to get your two drive boxes down to one.

The Biggerdisk (or even the Bigdisk) seems to be the best looking and most efficient way of putting >1 drive into a single external enclosure. The drawback is that I don't think I can get it bare, so I may be spending more that way than just finding some ugly 2 drive USB box.

Quote:
And it wouldn't surprise me if there were next to no electronics in an NSLU2, and you could mount it inside the Biggerdisk somehow.

The other 2 drive USB boxes I've seen are big, ugly things that take up as much more space than you'd think two drives would. The space probably has something to do with a power supply, but it seems like there would be plenty of room to mount NSLU2 guts into one of those...

Quote:
...and think about getting Sonos boxes (http://www.sonos.com)

Um. Whoa.

I hadn't seen that one yet. So, uh, yeah.

There's the slight little problem that I don't have a couple thousand dollars to actually put these where'd I'd want them, but I'd like to get over that if possible. This causes me to rethink what's even possible on the presentation/playing side, and even if I don't buy it, I'll now look at all other solutions in a slightly different light.

#243506 - 08/12/2004 06:35 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: wfaulk]
adavidw
addict

Quote:
Quote:
the NSLU2 really comes close to what I'm looking for. So, anyone know of something like that in a single box?

There are lots of them. Check out this list of them at NewEgg. If that URL expires for some reason, NewEgg->Shop by Category->Modem and Network Devices->Network - Hard Drives.

I knew a few of these existed, but didn't really know how many. The problem with all of these, though, is that they're all 1 drive. To hold my FLAC library, I'd need ~400GB, and if I had a playing box that didn't grok FLAC, I'd also keep a lossy version of the library for maybe another 60GB. The only way to hit that capacity now is with two drives.

There is one in the list that will hold two drives (the LaCie), but for nearly $1000, I'll keep looking.

#243507 - 08/12/2004 06:43 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: mdavey]
adavidw
addict

Quote:
To ADW: How do you feel about SCSI disks?

I used to cry myself to sleep because I couldn't upgrade the HD in my Mac at the same price my friends could upgrade their Intel machines. Seems the situation's much worse today. Since my choice is a 250GB EIDE drive for $120, or a 180GB SCSI drive for $320, I don't think SCSI's much of an option.

I don't know anything about Sun machines, but I'm not at all opposed to learning. However, it seems that the costs of SCSI would negate any savings from going that far back in time hardware wise. And, if newer, IDE-capable hardware doesn't offer a compelling advantage over the mini-ITX machine, I'll save the "hack a Sun box" desire for another day.

#243508 - 09/12/2004 00:25 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Some of the newer workstation-class Sun boxes are IDE. The Ultra 5 and Ultra 10 I know are, right off the top of my head.

#243509 - 09/12/2004 01:32 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: wfaulk]
adavidw
addict

Quote:
Some of the newer workstation-class Sun boxes are IDE. The Ultra 5 and Ultra 10 I know are, right off the top of my head.

And my friend ebay indicates that those two don't really cost a whole lot either.

So, excuse me whilst I Google for basic things like "can the case hold more than one drive?", "will I have any trouble compiling any of the music server softwares for it?", and stuff like that.

edit: Maybe not. Methinks that these two are just too big for what I want. If something like the IPX did IDE, then I'd be in.

Edited by adavidw (09/12/2004 02:08)

#243510 - 09/12/2004 02:14 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The Ultra 10 is basically a mini-tower case. The Ultra 5 is a desktop, under-monitor type case. Not as thin as the SparcStation 5/10/20 pizza-boxes, though, but the same in the other dimensions, give or take. Sun hasn't made tiny cases in quite a while.

#243511 - 09/12/2004 06:46 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
mdavey
enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:

So, excuse me whilst I Google for basic things like "can the case hold more than one drive?",

The Ultra 5 can hold 4 drives, typically floppy, HDD, CD and space for a 3.5" drive above the floppy. Of course, you could swap out the CD or floppy for an HDD. The Ultra 10 can hold 3 HDDs plus CD and floppy without modifications. Again you could sacrifice the floppy and/or CD for more HDD capacity. Also, not all Ultra 5s and Ultra 10s have a CD in its slot, so check the specification carefully.

The Ultra 30 and Ultra 60 tower units use a kind of HDD sled design that requires a bracket (known as a SPUD bracket) to be fitted to the drive. The SPUD bracket is great for servicing - you just power down the box, whip out one drive and pop in the replacement - but can be difficult to obtain (Ebay is good) unless you want to buy your drives from Sun.

You can pick up a 400MHz or 440MHz Ultra 5 off Ebay for around £150. Less for a slower speed (eg 270MHz) CPU. Make sure you buy from someone offering a guarantee as intermittent hardware problems, although rare, do crop up from time to time especially on 400/440MHz CPUs.

Quote:
"will I have any trouble compiling any of the music server softwares for it?"

Most people run the Solaris OS on their Sun boxes, which is Sun's version of SysV (AT&T) Unix. Solaris is particular well known for its rock solid, high power and very scalable kernel, and rock solid NFS and TCP/IP implementations.

There is also SparcLinux, which is particularly popular on older tin as each new version of Solaris assumes slightly more powerful hardware than the last (a huge oversimplication, but we don't have enough space here for the details).

Any popular Linux program (think Perl, Sendmail, Apache web server and the like) will have been written to also compile on Solaris. Fringe stuff with only a few developers can be made to compile on Solaris by a proficient developer (assuming that developer has access to the source). Only particularly lazy code will fail to compile on SparcLinux if it compiles on x86.

Quote:
these two are just too big for what I want

As Bitt said, the Ultra 5 case dimensions are roughly those of a standard PC under-monitor case. The Ultra 10 case dimensions are roughly those of a standard PC half-height tower case.

Edited by mdavey (09/12/2004 06:49)

#243512 - 09/12/2004 06:54 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: mdavey]
adavidw
addict

Quote:

As Bitt said, the Ultra 5 case dimensions are roughly those of a standard PC under-monitor case. The Ultra 10 case dimensions are roughly those of a standard PC half-height tower case.

I'm still holding on to the dream of being able to assemble a box that's barely bigger than the two drives in it. However, if I can't do that for some reason and I have to settle for something desktop size, I'd like to pursue this Sun thing since it lets me kill two birds with one stone: I can build my music storage box, and tackle a new-to-me hardware/software combo at the same time.

#243513 - 09/12/2004 07:07 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
mdavey
enthusiast

You are just fighting on too many fronts
  • low power - ideally <150W
  • small form factor - not much bigger than two drives, single box
  • budget - less than $150 (before disks)
  • capacity - 400GB minimum, must be IDE
  • tech - something new to learn or something cool to own

#243514 - 09/12/2004 07:16 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
mdavey
enthusiast

Quote:
I'm still holding on to the dream of being able to assemble a box that's barely bigger than the two drives in it.

Hmm. Sun Ultra 5 isn't ideal beacuse of the power requirements. Acorn isn't ideal because of the difficulty of obtaining one with a network card and in the US. Mini-ITX are too expensive really. Network drives have too many boxes for 400GB or are too expensive.

Can anyone think of a set-top-box or network computer that is inexpensive and can be made to take two drives? Or a printer server? Or any other off-the-wall ideas?

Anyone know anything about old HP or IBM or Apple kit that might do the job?

Edit: Hmm, I now find myself wanting to do the same. Damn you, adavidw!

#243515 - 09/12/2004 17:20 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: mdavey]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Other companies make spud brackets these days. They're not terribly expensive. On the other hand, that's SCSI-only (with SCA connectors), so the drives themselves are expensive.

Edit: Hmm. A company called Silicon Gear used to make them, but it looks like they might be out of business these days. Also, assuming you can get to the drive physically without shutting the computer down, you don't need to power it down in order to swap out hard drives. It's not technically supported (actually, I think it has been for the last few years), but I've never had a problem doing it in the last eight years or so.

Edited by wfaulk (09/12/2004 17:26)

#243516 - 09/12/2004 19:40 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: adavidw]
TigerJimmy
old hand

In my opinion, you should do the following:

Find somebody you know who has an old Pentium 133 laying around (or anything faster, of course). You can probably get one of these for free since somebody will have one laying around in a closet or something. Cost: nothing

Buy a ATA133 IDE controller card for the thing for about $30 which will allow you to use big disks with minimal fuss. You might also need an ethernet card.

That's it. Small, quiet, cheap, reliable. If the thing works after all these years, it will probably keep working for a very long time (failure rate of electronic devices decreases exponentially -- if its lasted this long it will probably last quite a while yet). If it doesn't, you can get another one for nothing.

Install some flavor of linux and use software raid to make a big partition. I used raid0 but I wish I had put an extra disk in and did the redundancy thing.

As someone else mentioned, hdparm in linux lets you spin down the drives.

Install Samba, and it speaks SMB.

That's it. Total cost: about $30-50 depending on whether you need an eithernet card. I used a Dell mini-tower for my first one of these. I found that a P133 could play mp3s on the console and on 3 client machines running winamp while simultaneously having new songs uploaded to it. It was plenty. I'm using another machine now, but anything like a 133 or above should be fine.

FWIW,

Jim

#243517 - 09/12/2004 23:18 Re: How best to do whole house music? [Re: mdavey]
shawn
stranger

Loc: Silicon Valley
Get a Kurobox [aka Linkstation] . People have it running Slimserver and some other stuff. No Jreceiver, I don't know how the Java front is on it. I'm running a Debian chroot image right now, hope to make it a dedicated FLAC ripping machine soon.
  • low power - 17W
  • small form factor - holds one drive (can attach more via USB2.0)
  • budget - $160 for Kurobox, ~$250 for Linkstation with 120GB
  • capacity - sorta check, add your own IDE disk to Kurobox
  • tech - hey, PPCs are cool

Its like a NSLU2, but beefed up. Specs

Heck, be like this guy and get a couple.

Edited by shawn (09/12/2004 23:23)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >