Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#244293 - 17/12/2004 15:14 Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....?
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
When I had an APS camera, they would put the time and date of when the photo was taken on the back. I was wondering if there is a program out there that will do that automatically for pictures taken with a digital camera? I know I could do it manually, but it would be nice for it to be auto. I know I also could have it stamped on the front of the photo, but I think that looks bad.

#244294 - 17/12/2004 15:32 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: burdell1]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Just to clarify, you're talking about prints here, right? There's no back to a digital image

Well, I think that depends on the developer you take the photos to. Ask them if they can do it. I believe most if not all digital cameras store the images with EXIF data that contains far more than just the date. I'd be willing to bet that photo developers have gotten advanced enough to use this stuff.

#244295 - 17/12/2004 16:46 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: Dignan]
burdell1
old hand

Yeah...i am talking about prints. However, I am talking about something I would use at home, not the print lab. There has got to be something out there...i would think....

#244296 - 17/12/2004 17:09 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: burdell1]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
the vast majority of printers only print on one side, so you'd have to flip each piece of paper manually. That being said, no, I'm not aware of a program that could help automate that, but I doubt it'd be that difficult.

#244297 - 17/12/2004 23:50 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: wfaulk]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Or you could use a pen...

pca

#244298 - 18/12/2004 07:14 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: wfaulk]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
How about printing a sheet of labels to stick on the back of the prints? You can get transparent labels that should survive fairly well if you're intending the photos to be handled a lot.

#244299 - 18/12/2004 14:46 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: David]
burdell1
old hand

I would rather just print it directly on there instead of having a sticker (and I would prefer not to do it with a pen.) You would think someone would have a program out there to do this.....

#244300 - 18/12/2004 14:59 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: burdell1]
burdell1
old hand

I found this...
http://www.webgrid.co.uk/graphics_8.html

(look under photo dater)

but that isn't what I am looking for, but closer then what else I have found.....

#244301 - 19/12/2004 00:10 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: burdell1]
tman
carpal tunnel

Unless you're willing to flip every photo over and run it through the printer again you can't do this. If flipping it over is okay then just anything which will print text at a specific point will do. Automating it all will probably require a EXIF reader of some kind.

#244302 - 19/12/2004 01:20 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: tman]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

He does know that he would have to flip the page over and run it through again. I suggested using a text editor but he says he wants something more automated.

Now on a slightly off topic note:

How many people that use digital cameras print out most of the pictures ? I don't print any I just view them on my computer. I could understand printing some out but if you are going to print out a bunch and have traditional photo albums it would be cheaper just to use a film camera.

Matt

#244303 - 19/12/2004 01:47 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: burdell1]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Buy a rubber date stamp. Easiest, most consistent and most permanent without affecting your prints (running the page through the printer again is a bad idea, just as printing on the wrong side of the paper is a bad idea). Writing by pen could end up marking the other side with an embossed mark. Writing in marker might not get you the consistent look you want.

Otherwise, what you're looking for isn't so much a piece of software, but a special feature of a printer. Printing on the bac side at the lab is a feature of the machines they use to produce the photos. I bet some places do this for digital as well. If youre intending to print a lot of pictures (especially small sizes like 4x6) then it's not cost effective to do it yourself. Get them done at Costco or Wallmart or your friendly neighborhood lab. Here (in the Toronto area) I think the price is now down to the same cost per print as film (perhaps even lower).

Bruno

#244304 - 19/12/2004 08:59 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: msaeger]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
How many people that use digital cameras print out most of the pictures ? I don't print any I just view them on my computer. I could understand printing some out but if you are going to print out a bunch and have traditional photo albums it would be cheaper just to use a film camera.

I print out a fair few of the ones I take using my digital camera. It's about the same price per shot as my APS camera so I don't really see the problem with price. If I used a film camera then I wouldn't take as many photos because I'd be worried I would be wasting film. With the digital I only print the ones I like and junk the rest.

#244305 - 19/12/2004 09:39 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: tman]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I print very few of my photos at the moment, though I intend to change that soon. I am planning on putting five 1m x 0.5m perforated stainless steel sheets on the wall of my office and using it as a huge magnetic board to put loads of small photos on.

I will also need to buy a new printer as well, my HP 970Cxi was ok printing out photos from my old 1.3m pixel camera, but it isn't really up to it anymore.

I delete plenty of shots in the camera, but most of them that survive the in camera edit I keep. I delete maybe 5% of them when downloading from the memory card.

I keep all of my photos available online (excepting the odd album that someone asks me not to put online). I think there are about 10,000 photos on my website, all of which I took after getting a digital camera in 1997.

My friends and family seem to make good use of my online photos and I am very glad I chose to put them all online. If nothing else it makes a good record of events in our collective lives.

#244306 - 19/12/2004 11:59 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: msaeger]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:
How many people that use digital cameras print out most of the pictures ?

I don't print any, I used to print the odd few but found that my Epson printer would have dried out and I had to run the head cleaning thing twice (or more) before it ran a test properly. And even then I found that a cartridge would be used up far too quickly.

I have had some prints made at a photo lab and they came out perfectly, I can't remember how much they cost but Jessops charge 20p per print for 5 or more (49p for less than 5)

I also want to try a Kodak Kiosk, they have one at the local Boots but I don't know what the charges are.

Gareth

#244307 - 19/12/2004 12:43 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: g_attrill]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:

I have had some prints made at a photo lab and they came out perfectly, I can't remember how much they cost but Jessops charge 20p per print for 5 or more (49p for less than 5)

I have tried a few of the online print places in the UK. Most of them have resulted in variable results. The most consistant one I have found so far is:

http://www.colormailer.co.uk/

The problem with the other ones I tried is that sometimes the colours came out completely wrong, kind of like someone had selected the wrong colour profile.

Colormailer also have a "pro" service, which I must try some time. It promises to give you more control over the colour output.

#244308 - 19/12/2004 12:51 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: andy]
tman
carpal tunnel

I use Colourmailer as well. They do fiddle with the colour profile though unless you select the option to not do it. It's only in their new software. The old app doesn't give you the ability to change that option at all.

I've also got an account with the Colourmailer Pro service as I print out quite a few big posters and it's cheaper as they do discounts.

I've used Bonusprint on occasion as well but the quality wasn't as good as Colourmailer but it was a bit cheaper and slightly faster to turn up.

The instore mini labs that you get in Tesco, ASDA etc... aren't very good either in my opinion. I've tried printing stuff with them and it comes out a little fuzzy even when the original isn't. The kiosk things have terrible quality and are only suitable if you don't know what a proper print is capable of or you're in a hurry.

Edited by tman (19/12/2004 12:54)

#244309 - 19/12/2004 13:03 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: tman]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I've also got an account with the Colourmailer Pro service as I print out quite a few big posters and it's cheaper as they do discounts.

In that case I have a question. Whenever I have tried to use the Pro service it has directed me to download the same software as used for the non-pro service.

Whatever I do however, including uninstalling and re-installing, the only pricing options I end up with in the software are for the non-pro service.

Any ideas ?

#244310 - 19/12/2004 13:09 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: andy]
tman
carpal tunnel

The discount is calculated based on how much you've spent with them in the past.

Did you press SHIFT when clicking the select lab button? If you don't then it won't show the pro lab.

#244311 - 19/12/2004 13:36 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: tman]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Did you press SHIFT when clicking the select lab button? If you don't then it won't show the pro lab.

I had just this second found that detail in the email they send you. I guess I had never bothered to read the email before (in fact I don't remember getting an email last time I tried to use the pro service).

#244312 - 19/12/2004 13:50 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: andy]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Quote:
stainless steel sheets on the wall of my office and using it as a huge magnetic board

Please remember that most stainless steel is non-magnetic, so your magnets will not stick.

-Zeke

#244313 - 19/12/2004 14:15 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: Ezekiel]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Please remember that most stainless steel is non-magnetic, so your magnets will not stick.

The stuff I am thinking of using is described as "Ferrous Stock Perforated Stainless Steel Sheet".

I had assumed that the "ferrous" bit would mean it was magnetic ?

You can see the stuff I mean by going to http://rswww.com/ and searching for "Ferrous Stock Perforated Stainless Steel Sheet".

Is this going to be magnetic ?

#244314 - 19/12/2004 23:46 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: andy]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Most likely the two stainless steel alloys (304 and 316) mentioned in your link will be non or only weakly magnetic. They are both austenitic stainless steels, which are only occasionally magnetic, mostly after cold working.

I'd steer you towards either the galvanized plain carbon steel or the black powdercoated perforated steel as a better option for a magnet board, if you require the perforation. A nice chromed steel would be pretty, but I don't see it offered at the site you linked to. Ferritic (note not ferrous, ferrous only means iron is involved, and there's iron in all steels, stainless or not) stainless steels are magnetic.

Some good background on stainless can be found here.

Best,
-Zeke

#244315 - 20/12/2004 01:29 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: Ezekiel]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
304 and 316 alloys are definitely non-magnetic.

pca

#244316 - 20/12/2004 08:55 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: pca]
andy
carpal tunnel

I'm so glad I just happened to mention my plans here

That could have been a reasonably expensive cock-up...

#244317 - 20/12/2004 11:57 Re: Program to put Time and Date on back of photographs....? [Re: andy]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Yeah...I was pissed when I found out that I paid extra for that pretty stainless steel fridge, only to find that magnets don't stick to it. Oh well...at least it stays nice looking instead of getting covered with crap.