Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#244544 - 22/12/2004 14:19 White Christmas
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I don't object to scientific drug testing of people driving dangerously but I do object to this ridiculous State Trooper style shenanigans:

bbc news link

I'm not sure how well I'd do on some of those at the best of times, but I'm now damn tempted to make it my mission to learn to pass every test under the influence of whatever Santa might be dealing out the back of the sleigh this year.

Rob

#244545 - 22/12/2004 15:47 Re: White Christmas [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Here in the US, I don't think you can be convicted of drunk driving on the basis of those tests. They are just things that the trooper can do as a quick check to see whether he should bother taking you back to the patrol car for the BAC breath test, or back to the station for a blood test.

When the trooper does those tests, they aren't done "pass/fail", it's not like you have to be able to do everything exactly right. They're just activities to make you balance or use certain cognitive skills that are impaired when you're drunk, so that you'll show it more readily by swaying or slurring your speech.

My brother tells the story of having been pulled over when he had too much to drink, and the troopers' test was a finger dexterity test: Touch the tip of your thumb to the tip of each finger (on the same hand) in a 1234,4321 pattern repeatedly. Since my brother is a piano player, he passed and the trooper let him go.

#244546 - 22/12/2004 20:46 Re: White Christmas [Re: tfabris]
mdavey
enthusiast

Loc: Wellingborough, UK
Quote:
They're just activities to make you balance or use certain cognitive skills that are impaired when you're drunk, so that you'll show it more readily by swaying or slurring your speech

The impression that I got was that although the authorities make out they are physical tests, they are actually intended as social/physcological tests. If you say things like "I can't walk in a straight line toe to heel when I'm sober" or even just your interaction with the official when they ask you to perform the test - is what they are looking for, rather than your ability to complete the test. It is quite hard to guage how drunk someone is until they open their mouth.
Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741

#244547 - 22/12/2004 20:55 Re: White Christmas [Re: tfabris]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I think they just like messing with people. I have never consumed alcohol but I got stopped one time for this. The guy kept asking questions and checking stuff until I said just give me the breathalizer test. He did and it was negative of course then he seemed disapointed and left.

Matt

#244548 - 22/12/2004 21:24 Re: White Christmas [Re: msaeger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Of course, being drunk isn't the only way to be imparied while driving. Being stoned, which is the point of the article linked, is an obvious other way which isn't easily testable in the field. Other ways can include medications from Nyquil to muscle relaxants, being sleepy, and so on.

In my opinion, if that cop thought you were not fit to drive but gave up after a failed breathalyser test, he's not doing his job. Of course, it's more likely that he was just harrassing you because you did some minor stupid thing on the road and had no good reason for pulling you over at all, other than that it was quote time.

#244549 - 23/12/2004 00:45 Re: White Christmas [Re: mdavey]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
The impression that I got was that although the authorities make out they are physical tests, they are actually intended as social/physcological tests.

Well, I can tell you that pretty much all of the tests outlined in those cartoons are a pretty basic part of the medical diagnostic armamentarium (Ooh, I love that word, and maybe 1st use on the BBS, Doug!) and would be very familiar to any 3rd year medical student charged with working up a neurologically questionable visitor to the emergency room.

They are not exact, but they are useful. Anybody want to test this, I will watch you drink a pre-determined amount of tequila, and then we'll play.

"In Soviet Russia, your nose touches *you*!"

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#244550 - 23/12/2004 01:33 Re: White Christmas [Re: rob]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Quote:
I'm not sure how well I'd do on some of those at the best of times, but I'm now damn tempted to make it my mission to learn to pass every test under the influence of whatever Santa might be dealing out the back of the sleigh this year.

Good to see someone wants to carry on the noble work of my high school years. I was quite good at all of them too. After sneaking back into the house shortly before my parents woke up, as long as I could get myself into the shower to wash off the club smell and telltale white residue, they never had any idea I was out all night, never mind high out of my skull. Graduated high school a year early third in my class. I've also been able to stay awake for 2-3 days straight all of my life, whether I wanted to or not. That may have helped.

Mind you, while sober I can not type, and am known for things like forgetting to wear pants before leaving the house and then wondering why the seat heater in the car seems so effective that day. Fortunately I've always caught myself at this before getting out of the car again. I can't say the same for the day I put on my suit but no shirt then went to work.

Quote:
They are not exact, but they are useful. Anybody want to test this, I will watch you drink a pre-determined amount of tequila, and then we'll play.

Change it to vodka or 151 and I might take you up on it. Tequila is alomst as vomit inducing on odor alone as SoCo.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#244551 - 23/12/2004 02:00 Re: White Christmas [Re: Heather]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I can't say the same for the day I put on my suit but no shirt then went to work.

Lemme guess. Best sales day of the year?

#244552 - 23/12/2004 02:27 Re: White Christmas [Re: tfabris]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Quote:
Lemme guess. Best sales day of the year?

No. Christmas Eve. With my first Phaeton in the middle of the floor where 150 employees and their friends and family were eating breakfast. Fortunately, my boss caught me still in the lot in my car and informed me, and the jacket buttoned up pretty high. No one else knew until I lost a button later in the morning.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#244553 - 24/12/2004 09:00 Re: White Christmas [Re: jimhogan]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Quote:
Quote:
The impression that I got was that although the authorities make out they are physical tests, they are actually intended as social/physcological tests.

Well, I can tell you that pretty much all of the tests outlined in those cartoons are a pretty basic part of the medical diagnostic armamentarium (Ooh, I love that word, and maybe 1st use on the BBS, Doug!) and would be very familiar to any 3rd year medical student charged with working up a neurologically questionable visitor to the emergency room.

They are not exact, but they are useful.

Yup, I recognize most of them fromthe evaluation of status I underwent as I arrived at the neuuro rehab centre... not neccessarily the exact same implementation, but the function tested/looked at. I would fail those tests badly due to lacking muscle control on the left side, , but the main thing stopping me from driving currently (I could effectively operate the car, if an atomatic, with the right hand side only) is a slightly diminished (was initially a lot worse!) ability to notice unexpected tings happening/appearing in the lower left quarter of the vision field

The doc laughed when I sotto vocce noted that "Heck, that fits at least 50% of the drivers I usually share the road with every day...