Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#244611 - 23/12/2004 13:53 Digital Photography Novice needs advice ...
LTJBukem
enthusiast

Hi All,

I know this is possibly an inappropriate forum to be asking about cameras but I guess most of you have digital cameras and I was wondering about your experiences.

We're going off to New Zealiand next year, and I'd like to take some really good photos. Presently we have a Pentax Film SLR and a Pentax Optio S4 (the dinky one)

The film SLR takes lovely photos, as long as 2 great ones per film is what you are after.

In terms of Digital Photography the S4 is handy but sometimes does not produce great results, mainly when it has problems focussing. This is normally when there is not much light, such as in a darkened room (i,e, a presentation).

Now the S4 has a viewfinder, but not one of the WYSIWYG type. It's just a hole to look through and tiny at that !! In a situation where you are taking little more than holiday 'snaps' it's a bit point and hope.
The 1.5" screen is also small to review the photos on, so sometimes you don't realise they are OOF until you get them on the PC.

So now I want to buy a new camera, possibly selling the S4 in the process, should funds dictate.

I am torn really between a great compact camera eg. Pentax 555 size, an SLR-Like Camera such as the Nikon 8800 and a digital SLR such as a Nikon D70.

What are you opinion on the merits of each type and do you find problems e.g. focussing, perhaps over exposure ?, with any paticular types of camera. Are some better than others. I realise that CCD size, is as important as megapixels.

Note that I am just a novice, but am interested in taking really good photos. With that said, although i think i can do better than a Point and Shoot camera, sometimes, that's all i need, especially to grab a moment, it's just that if i have time to be a bit more 'arty' then I should be able to play around with the settings.

I realise that great pictures are down to me too, but any advice or experience on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#244612 - 23/12/2004 14:44 Re: Digital Photography Novice needs advice ... [Re: LTJBukem]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Since I'm no digital photography expert, I just thought I'd chime in here with a suggestion for the viewing size problem. I'd recommend that if you're going on a long vacation, and not taking a laptop with you, that you consider something like the Archos AV400 series of products. Sure, you can take a bunch of 1GB cards with you, or you could load them all onto this handy device, view them, and have a bunch of movies and music on there as well. I found it to be great entertainment for plane trips and the like, and when I needed space for more pictures I just deleted some of the video I had already watched.

The only downside is that image playback won't be perfect. It's still a 3.whatever screen that won't be able to reproduce large images perfectly. But it gives you a better idea. Purely as a digital wallet/portable entertainment center it's worth it.

Anyway, I just thought I'd offer that up. The AV340 model I have was a huge hit with my girlfriend on our trip to Europe. We watched episodes of Scrubs on trains in 4 countries

#244613 - 23/12/2004 16:07 Re: Digital Photography Novice needs advice ... [Re: LTJBukem]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The only drawbacks I can see to digital SLRs are portability and expense. You're apparently already okay with the portability issue if you're carrying a film SLR around. That leaves cost.

And you may already have some SLR lenses you can use. Can the Pentax lenses fit on a Nikon or Canon, maybe with some sort of adapter?

#244614 - 23/12/2004 17:45 Re: Digital Photography Novice needs advice ... [Re: LTJBukem]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
FWIW, after 6 months I still love my D70. All the functionality of a film SLR and no developing hassles. I find that I use it a lot more than the cheaper point and shoot digitals I have had. It takes better pictures and feels like a "real camera". Follow the PaD link in my signature for some pics taken with it if your interested.

-Mike

#244615 - 23/12/2004 18:23 Re: Digital Photography Novice needs advice ... [Re: LTJBukem]
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, California USA
My 2 cents worth....I've had a few smaller digital cameras, and now I have a Canon 10D Digital SLR 6 MPixel (which I love).

The one thing I would say if you're thinking about a smaller point and shoot camera...If you're going to be taking a few photos indoors with a flash; many of the point and shoot cameras have a small flash that just didn't do the job for me (subject lit up within 3 feet and the rest of the photo dark). However, some of the smaller P&S cams do have a "Hot shoe" on top so you can add an external flash down the road. I always thought that was a great feature (like the Canon G3)...That way you can get the more powerful flash for indoors and still have a small "package" for outdoor use.

I bought the 10D just before our son was born and have never looked back. Between the body and lenses, it's a bit of an investment. But I sure have saved a lot on film and developing / prints for those impulsive shots. Over time that savings will definitely close the gap on the purchase price...

I think you'll love the freedom of a digital camera. Once you see the high resolution that today's models are capable of, it's hard to go back to a 35mm or APS film camera.

Randy

#244616 - 23/12/2004 19:35 Re: Digital Photography Novice needs advice ... [Re: LTJBukem]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Get the small P&S as a second camera - regardless of what you buy as your primary. Now you just have to choose between something like the Nikon 8800 and an SLR.

Camera-to-camera, the 8800 is more expensive than an D70. However, you're also getting an excellent piece of glass. Trying to find that quality lens for the SLR will set you back at least as much as the camera body itself (likely twice to three times as much).

The problem with *all* current 8MP cameras right now is their sensor. They're all using a Sony sensor that is far below sub-par. Otherwise the 8800 is easily the best non-SLR camera out there.

If leaning toward SLR, it might be worth considering going up a few bucks. I wouldn't buy a Digital Rebel or a D70 when the models up from them are so close in price right now. Here in Toronto you can find a D100 for just a tiny bit more. Though I'm pining for the as-yet unreleased D2X (a lot more).

The SLR should be something you consider a long-term investment if you're going to buy multiple high-quality lenses. You'll be investing in the format, not the specific body (which will be out-dated by the time it hits the street). Pentax lenses do not fit Nikon's F-Mount by the way. Pentax also make a DSLR which has also come down a lot in price. Nikon is a small enough company when it comes down to it, but Pentax is absolutely tiny. Personally, I'd be wary of that - but if you already have quality glass, you may want to consider the *istD as an option.

If I had to start from scratch, Id go for a really good P&S at 5-7MP and 3-5x Optical Zoom lens (and as fast as possible - LOW F-stop#), and a DSLR. What I really want companies to start doing is making high-quality DSLRs that are smaller than traditional film models. There's no reason to make the body as big anymore since you're no longer saddled with a 35MM film cartridge and film plane real-estate. I'm really hoping to see a whole new breed of DSLR - but not holding my breath. If they want to keep the same size, start using larger sensors to maximise the benefits of current lenses.

Bruno

#244617 - 23/12/2004 20:24 Re: Digital Photography Novice needs advice ... [Re: LTJBukem]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
SWMBO and I toured around New Zealand in 2001, along with my 3mp Nikon 990 Coolpix digital camera. We got tons of great photos, and had a total blast.

Things of note: work out how to store the gigabytes to be accumulated while you're still on the road.

Photographing in rainforests is difficult -- very low light levels require high-ISO and/or a tripod. A monopod at the very least. And the camera has to be able to focus in low-light.

It was very, very wet while we were there. The convenience of being able to keep the camera inside my raincoat when not actively snapping a photo was invaluable. An umbrella could also be useful.

A huge expensive and bulky DSLR is not necessary.

Having said that, we more recently just got back from bouncing around Australia. We took the Coolpix again, but also my Canon DSLR (20D) and some relatively light (but good) lenses. Shooting in the rain forests was a breeze, as was capturing dozens of the small birds and animals lurking therein -- not possible with the Coolpix.

Again, tons of good photos to sift through, and the big expensive bulky DSLR was a lot of fun to use there.

Go figure.

If you have (and want to reuse) some good Pentax lenses, then maybe consider the Pentax *ist-D DSLR. Otherwise, the Canon 20D w/17-85-IS lens, or the Nikon D70 with kit lens. Hard to go wrong either way.

Cheers

#244618 - 23/12/2004 21:29 Re: Digital Photography Novice needs advice ... [Re: mlord]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Most everybody else has said what needs to be said. If you're looking at SLRs, you can't go wrong with the Canon 20D or the Nikon D70. Both offer upgrade paths to fancier cameras and lenses and are quite good on their own. A Nikon D70 kit is a good bit cheaper than the Canon 20D with 17-85mm, but lacks many features that the Canon has. The Canon 300D / D-Rebel kit is much cheaper than the Nikon D70 kit, but they cut too many important things, such as adjustments for the flash output level. (If you want the Nikon, but feel like it's overdue time for a successor to the D100, then the rumor mill is saying there may be something announced in February. There's always something cool around the corner...)

In general, I'd recommend against the Nikon 8800. I figure a camera should either be small enough to fit in your pocket or big enough to do everything you could ever need. Since you're coming from a film SLR background, the transition to a D-SLR is pretty straightforward. It also makes a lot of sense to keep your pocket Pentax around for when the D-SLR is back in the car or whatnot.

#244619 - 23/12/2004 21:58 Re: Digital Photography Novice needs advice ... [Re: hybrid8]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:
If leaning toward SLR, it might be worth considering going up a few bucks. I wouldn't buy a Digital Rebel or a D70 when the models up from them are so close in price right now. Here in Toronto you can find a D100 for just a tiny bit more. Though I'm pining for the as-yet unreleased D2X (a lot more).

I don't think this is true, in the UK at least. In the UK at the moment the Digital Rebel (300D) is £479 including the £100 cash back that Canon are offering. The next Canon model up, the 20D, is £1089.

So the next Canon model up from the Digital Rebel is twice the price. To put it another way you could get the Digital Rebel AND the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
for the same price as the 20D.

I know the Rebel has some cut down features (some of which you can "re-enable" by hacking it), but if I was buying a DSLR at the moment it would be hard to dismiss the Rebel out of hand.

The D70 is £700 over here, so that is much closer to the 20D and the 100D (which is £880).

I personally am happy with my 10D and will be waiting at least until the 30D or whatever the 20D replacement gets called appears.

I just bought my wife the Panasonic DMC-FZ3 for Christmas. With a 35-420mm image stabilized lens with a constant F2.8 apperture it is an amazing feat of packaging. It weighs less than 12 oz !

I don't think I'll be using it much myself though, as it suffers from:

- huge amounts of noise on the images, compared to my 10D
- lousy low light focus performance, again compared to my 10D
- the limitations of the EVF and no optical viewfinder

Of course it cost less than any one of my lenses and weighs less than my lightest lens (by some margin), so it is an amazing camera really. I just don't like it...

...name me another sub £300 camera with a 420mm zoom on it though !

P.S. these aren't manufacturers retail prices, they are taken from http://www.parkcameras.com/ (who I bought my 10D from).

#244620 - 23/12/2004 23:53 Re: Digital Photography Novice needs advice ... [Re: andy]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Speaking of heavy lenses.. Andy, can I interest you in a 70-200-IS or a 24-70? Both "L", both constant f2.8, both barely used..

Cheers

#244621 - 24/12/2004 09:10 Re: Digital Photography Novice needs advice ... [Re: mlord]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Speaking of heavy lenses.. Andy, can I interest you in a 70-200-IS or a 24-70? Both "L", both constant f2.8, both barely used..

Not really, they don't fit into my future lens buying plans

The 2.8 mid and tele zooms are just too heavy for me. They also don't really fit with the way I use my camera. I seem to use lots of long shots, by long I mean 300mm and lots of wide shots. I don't tend to do so much in between.

My 17-40 has the wide end covered for the moment, though improving on its F4.0 at some point would be nice.

At the moment I have the 75-300 IS for the long end. I plan to replace that with the new 70-300 IS DO at some point, so finally I will have decent focusing speed at the long end.

I am lacking a low light lens, with my 24-85 being the fastest at F3.5. The 24-70 would obviously make a great replacement for the 24-85, but it weighs nearly three times as much (and I would have to buy flash unit).

I will probably buy one of the 50mm lenses to fill the low light gap.

Edit: checking on the Canon website I find that the 70-200 is actually about the same weight of my 75-300 IS and that the 70-300 IS DO is heavier than my current lens. Doh.

Anyway, my waffling about focal length still stands

#244622 - 24/12/2004 10:10 Re: Digital Photography Novice needs advice ... [Re: andy]
LTJBukem
enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice and comments.

I think it's pretty clear that i'm definately a novice as some of the things in this post are losing me !

We don't have a significant investment in lenses, in fact the SLR we have jut has the lense which probably came with it.
I think our film SLR is towards the budget end, it's a Pentax MZ-50 with a 35-80mm lense, so you can tell me whether the lense is worth keeping ,,, be honest

My wife (who bought the camera) has no real clue how to use it, apart from point, focus and fire and the problem is that you never know how the picture is going to come out, so you tend to leave the auto settings on.

I've seen the Pentax *ist DS DP Review Preview Pentax *ist DS which looks interesting and seems get good reviews, and this fits the upper limit pretty much of what i'm prepared to spend. The D70 also comes highly recommended here of course. A 20D is just too expensive i think for my budget.

But here's a further question which i need advice on.
I'm confused about lenses, though our shots are likely to be the normal holiday kind.
- Nice View - i.e. long shot
- Interesting thing / animal. 30cm - 3m type shots.
- pictures of buildings etc.
What would I need to be able to do this. What would you recommend?

Some of oyu also mention fixed f Again, thanks for the adivce. It seems to point that I wouldn't go wrong with any of the DSLR's really, though i am keen on the D70 and *ist DS (on looks and reviews alone)

#244623 - 24/12/2004 10:55 Re: Digital Photography Novice needs advice ... [Re: LTJBukem]
andy
carpal tunnel

I'm amazed at how small the Pentax is:

The Digital Rebel on the left makes my 10D look big and the Pentax is even smaller.

#244624 - 24/12/2004 12:16 Re: Digital Photography Novice needs advice ... [Re: LTJBukem]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Toss the Pentax lens you have (sell it, give it away, keep it until it goes mouldy..).

For a new lens, you are a prime candidate for the "kit lens" that each of the three makers offers. So when shopping, you "want" a "body + kit lens". Skip the 20D, as it is more advanced than what you want, need, or know how to use correctly. Sure, it also has full-auto modes, but what a waste for the price!

That leaves the D70 kit, and the *ist-D kit. Visit a camera shop and ask to play with each of them, and totally ignore everything the SALESperson tries to tell you. They're not out to educate or inform, but rather to SELL, thus the term SALESperson.

Pay attention to how easy you find the camera to hold, how quickly it focuses on the intended object in the dimmest part of the store (aim it at dark things.. to simulate a typical home's dim interior).

Take photos with the flash "on", at both the widest angle zoom setting, and the telephoto zoom setting, and then examine the photo to see if the flash left a shadow on the bottom of the frame when shooting wide angle, and to see if the flash actually lit up the subject at all when shooting tele (shoot something 6m or further away).

Don't forget you will also need a 512MB memory card (buy the second most expensive one they have, not the most expensive or cheapest), and you *may* want an extra camera battery.. but you can always get that later, so hold off on the battery for now.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (24/12/2004 12:16)

#244625 - 24/12/2004 12:16 Re: Digital Photography Novice needs advice ... [Re: andy]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:
but if I was buying a DSLR at the moment it would be hard to dismiss the Rebel out of hand.

I got the Rebel/300D a few weeks ago. With the cashback it wasn't worth importing one because you would only save a few quid. I considered the D70, the 10D (which is being discounted) and *seriously* considered the 20D but thought I would rather get the 70-200 L lens with the difference (£400) and then get another body in a couple of years when I have learnt the basics and could appeciate the extra features etc. I haven't got the L lens yet but the kit 18-55mm seems to produce good pictures, although it is a little flimsy (the focussing bit at the front moves around quite a bit!)

I haven't taken a huge number of photos with the Rebel but I am very impressed with it - the low light performance is very good, I love having DOF and the standard battery seems to last ages and charge in an hour.

Gareth

#244626 - 24/12/2004 12:38 Re: Digital Photography Novice needs advice ... [Re: andy]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I plan to replace that with the new 70-300 IS DO at some point

I picked up one of those in Dallas back in October, and carried it around Australia for a few weeks recently. It packs up nice and small, but is quite heavy for the size -- a sign of good optics and construction, I suppose. The 300m reach was very useful -- just enough to capture birds and small animals/reptiles in the rainforest, and the Image Stabilization is top notch.

Suprisingly long (physically) with the included lens hood attached -- I had to get (yet another) camera bag, one deep enough to accomodate it when mounted on the camera: LowePro Omni Traveler. Decent bag, great for fast lens changes and carries a lot of stuff. But it would be better if it had external attachment points or mesh pockets.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the lens.. lots of nice photos from Oz with it, but it definitely has a big weak spot: don't even think about shooting "into the light" with it. I'll post some samples to show what I mean, eventually.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (24/12/2004 12:40)

#244627 - 24/12/2004 13:06 Re: Digital Photography Novice needs advice ... [Re: LTJBukem]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Quote:
it's a Pentax MZ-50 with a 35-80mm lense, so you can tell me whether the lense is worth keeping ,,, be honest

The Pentax D-SLRs as well as D-SLRs from every other vendor (with the exception of Olympus) have about a 1.5x magnification factor as a result of the D-SLR's sensor being smaller than a 35mm frame (Olympus has a 2x magnification). That means your 35-80mm lens turns into roughly a 52-120mm lens. That's means you don't get any wide angle at all.

Most of the current "kit" lenses start much wider, e.g., the Pentax 18-55mm lens that comes as part of the *ist DS kit (kit price at B&H: $999). The Nikon kit has an 18-70mm lens (with a fast, ultrasonic motor) and costs $1199 after a $100 rebate. Whichever camera you buy, you should get the kit lens as well.

Quote:
- Nice View - i.e. long shot
- Interesting thing / animal. 30cm - 3m type shots.
- pictures of buildings etc.
What would I need to be able to do this. What would you recommend?

The kit lens does most of what you might need except for extreme closeups (i.e., pictures of objects smaller than a foot across) and long shots. Your obvious second lens would be some kind of longer zoom lens. With Nikon gear, that would most likely be the 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 ED ($249 at B&H) or the cheaper plasticky "G" version of the lens ($129 at B&H). Sigma and Tamron have comparable lenses in the same price range that have better macro capabilities, whereas the Nikon-brand lenses don't really do close-ups. Instead, for Nikon, you'd want to shell out the extra bucks for 105mm "micro" ($529 at B&H) or 60mm "micro" ($329 at B&H). The Nikon "micro" lenses will let you take a full-frame picture of something the size of a penny, whereas the Sigma/Tamron macro zooms probably don't go any smaller than a business card. Pentax offers comparable lenses at comparable prices, plus all the same Sigma and Tamron lenses will be available in Pentax mounts.

The place where Nikon or Canon will really beat Pentax is:

- Rental gear - if you decide you need something exotic, maybe because you're shooting some sports thing on a Saturday afternoon, you can rent big Nikon and Canon glass. $100 or so will get you a serious professional lens for a weekend. Rental shops don't carry Pentax.

- Used gear - There's just more used gear out there for Nikon and Canon. Most of the used gear you'll find, in general, will probably be manual focus lenses. New Nikon cameras are compatible with old Nikon manual focus lenses, some of which are amazingly sharp. Likewise, new Pentax cameras are compatible with older manual focus Pentax lenses. Canon, for contrast, completely changed their lens mount when moving to autofocus, so all the old Canon manual lenses won't work on new Canon cameras without some sort of adapter.

- Assorted accessories - whether you're looking for exotic flashes, waterproof enclosures, 3rd party software support, or heaven knows what else, these things tend to follow the market share. Right now, that means Nikon or Canon.

- Upgrade path - if and when you decide to spend more money on more exotic lenses, flash systems, higher-end camera bodies, and so forth, Nikon and Canon have a broader product line than Pentax. Canon has been more aggressive in getting a number of technologies to market, notably its pricey lenses with vibration reduction and ultrasonic wave motors. Nikon is playing catch-up on that front and nobody else comes close. Nikon has been more aggressive in flash systems, where the camera and possibly multiple flashes communicate with each other to sort out who should put out how much light. Canon's playing catch-up and nobody else is close.

#244628 - 24/12/2004 14:08 Re: Digital Photography Novice needs advice ... [Re: andy]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Quote:
I know the Rebel has some cut down features (some of which you can "re-enable" by hacking it)...

Which works quite well, I must say. The best feature in the hack is the ability to modify the flash exposure compensation, an option that always gave the D70 a leg up over the 300D.