Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#244855 - 29/12/2004 17:50 Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed...
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Hi Guys,

I have just about finished pulling in all of the Cat5 cable in my new house, there are 16 points in total (not too over the top in a 3 bed place!) it is all wired back to a central point on the ground floor, where there will be a small comms cab (12U), 2 PC's (HTPC/media stuff and CCTV server) and all the other network and HiFi stuff.

In the past I have made do with what networking stuff I could afford at the time, I have never been happy with it, so this time I want a nice solution, I am looking to buy a 19" Rack Mount Switch and some sort of NAS and print server (already have one of those but it would be nice to find an all in one solution).

I have my eye on a few things, but I could really do with a few opinions before I jump in I know we have a few network experts on here, so here we go...

Switch short list - Linksys SRW224 or Netgear SF526T

NAS Short List - Linksys NSLU2 or Buffalo LinkStation

These are at the max of my budget, in fact they are going on the plastic, but it is getting really messy here and I want to get up and running ASAP.

Cheers

Cris.

#244856 - 29/12/2004 18:23 Re: Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed... [Re: Cris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
NAS Short List

Well, I can't comment on the relative value/performance/whatever, since I've not used any of these products, but I'm considering a LaCie Ethernet Disk for when I finally persuade Jen to let me install some rack-mount kit...

#244857 - 29/12/2004 18:50 Re: Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed... [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I've got the Netgear switch at work, it seems to do the trick, it's got rack ears and withstood some numb nuts utility engineer sticking 600v up it in its previous job.

As for the NAS, i'd build a box to that, but if you don't want to do that, or let me help you cobble something together then the NSLU2 seems to get good reports and seems to be quite easily hackable.

Andy M

#244858 - 29/12/2004 18:59 Re: Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed... [Re: Roger]
Cris
pooh-bah

Quote:

LaCie Ethernet Disk

Mmmmmmmm Droooooollllll Just a little out of the price bracket this time around

Quote:
...or let me help you cobble something together...

Cheers but I do like the idea of having something sat there serving files and thats it, I will have a PC for other things running (media storage and web server etc...) the NAS would be for backup and archive, although I read on tomsnetworking.com the Linksys can be used to serve network mp3 players like the Roku

I just wish I never needed to pay the CC bill, they I could erally go to town!!!

Cheers

Cris.

#244859 - 29/12/2004 22:53 Re: Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed... [Re: andym]
TigerJimmy
old hand

I second the idea of building a box for the NAS. Linux/Samba and configure it how you want. You're paying way to much for an unupgradable/unconfigurable "solution" when you get a NAS device, IMHO.

Jim

#244860 - 30/12/2004 01:01 Re: Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed... [Re: Cris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
If you care about electricity usage, then it might pay to assemble your own Linux-based firewall / DHCP / NAT / NAS / PrintServer / email-server / WebServer / whatever box. Suprisiingly easy to do these days. Mine is a mini-ITX mobo, with a laptop 80GB hard disk (courtesy of Paul). Draws 18W at typical load, measured at the AC power cord plug.

Cheers

#244861 - 30/12/2004 02:21 Re: Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed... [Re: mlord]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Mark,

Someone mentioned your box in my other thread about power-miser media servers. Which board and case do you have? Any other details?

#244862 - 30/12/2004 05:32 Re: Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed... [Re: TigerJimmy]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
I second the idea of building a box for the NAS. Linux/Samba and configure it how you want. You're paying way to much for an unupgradable/unconfigurable "solution" when you get a NAS device, IMHO.

Well, I concur with opinion that custom Linux or FreeBSD box will give one much more control, but for someone as lazy as myself it might be an overkill. For instance, I am just switching (finally) from dial-up ISDN to ADSL at home. Our favourite telecom semi-monopoly (owned by Deutsche Telecom) sold me for about $15 one of those combination ADSL modem/NAT router/firewall/ethernet switch/802.11g access point thingies (Siemens Gigaset SE515; a part of their telephony line, actually). I did not expect much, but the thing is surprisingly configurable and currently covers all of my needs. But I am lazy
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#244863 - 30/12/2004 05:56 Re: Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed... [Re: adavidw]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Mark's Box is decribed here:

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=offtopic&Number=217539

I wouldn't exactly call 80GB NAS though. I'm looking for more like 800GB of space for simply everything (mainly TV recordings in HD, MP3s, digital pictures etc.). 200GB drives are the sweet spot, so I'm considering going RAID5 with 4 or 5 of them for 600 or 800GB.

Won't be such low power then unless the drives spin down (which is entirely possible) and those EPIA boards usually only have 1 IDE interface, which makes more than two drives a little more complex (i.e. extra IDE/SATA card)
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#244864 - 30/12/2004 09:08 Re: Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed... [Re: mlord]
Cris
pooh-bah

Quote:
If you care about electricity usage...

A very good point !!! I am a little worried about this, between the CCTV cameras, 2 PC's and all the network stuff I could run up a nice bill very quickly.

The second PC is running XP Pro at the moment, and runs my current Media Server choice OneWeb this is a little out dated now, and I want to upgrade to something like SlimServer as some of it's features will come in really handy (streaming DAB radio from wavefinder and PocketPC control!), I know that will run on Linux but the only thing keeping on Windows is that I would really like to run DVDLobby to control my DVD changer (this also has PPC control - can you see where I am going with this ).

This machine is full at the moment (400Gb of something!!!) so it needs an upgrade anyway, I thought a NAS solution would offer a nice backup solution on top of being robust enough to just leave alone once it is set up.

Cheers

Cris.

#244865 - 30/12/2004 12:31 Re: Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed... [Re: Shonky]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
200GB drives are the sweet spot

Probably true, but I'd still say it's worth a look at the new Maxtors. Pop in an SATA card and a few of those disks, and you've got plenty of space.

#244866 - 30/12/2004 12:43 Re: Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed... [Re: Shonky]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Tons of USB2 ports, though.. faster than the built-in IDE usually (strange as it may seem..)

#244867 - 30/12/2004 12:54 Re: Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed... [Re: Dignan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
...I'd still say it's worth a look at the new Maxtors

Given that I had two 250Gb Maxtor drives die within 3 months of each other, and 6 months after the warranty ran out, I'm not using anything other than Seagate these days. At least they stand behind their products with a decent warranty.

As I mentioned before, I've currently got 4 200Gb Seagate Barracuda SATA disks in a 3ware hotswap cage, configured as RAID5, using a 3ware 8506-4LP card.

I'll probably transfer this PC to a rackmount case when the time comes.

#244868 - 30/12/2004 12:54 Re: Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed... [Re: Shonky]
mlord
carpal tunnel

>those EPIA boards usually only have 1 IDE interface

This one has two IDE PATA interfaces (up to four drives), one PCI slot, and a gazillion USB2 ports for external drives!

Cheers

Edited by mlord (30/12/2004 12:55)

#244869 - 30/12/2004 13:09 Re: Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed... [Re: Roger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
As I mentioned before, I've currently got 4 200Gb Seagate Barracuda SATA disks

Out of curiousity, how quiet are those disks? Are you reasonably certain they're quieter than 4 disks of another maker?

Hey, everyone has their brand-specific horror stories, especially with hard drives, it seems. The only hard drives I've ever used are Western Digitals, and they've always been troopers. Rob, on the other hand, has had hundreds upon thousands of WD drives fail on him

I was considering the Maxtor for my own future machine, but I may just wait until Western Digital has a similar drive out.

#244870 - 30/12/2004 13:55 Re: Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed... [Re: Dignan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Out of curiousity, how quiet are those (Seagate) disks?

They're very quiet. I can't compare them to other manufacturers, since I'm not able to do sensible side-by-side comparisons. Moreover, the fan on the drive cage makes enough noise as to make the noise from the disks irrelevant.

Quote:
Hey, everyone has their brand-specific horror stories

Agreed. But I've never (touch wood) had any problems with Seagate, and, as I say, I'm going to stick with a manufacturer that offers a sensible warranty period. The WD Raptors come with a nice long warranty as well, but they're too small for my needs.

#244871 - 30/12/2004 14:41 Re: Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed... [Re: Roger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

True, I'm still debating with myself over the price/size/performance components of those raptors. As far as I'm concerned, the 36GB is just not big enough for my uses these days. That leaves the $177 76GB drive. That's a lot for 76GB But if I'm getting a Shuttle, I want a good performer for my main drive. I'll have to think it over.

#244872 - 30/12/2004 16:00 Re: Building my Home Lan, buying advice needed... [Re: Dignan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

There are other differences, too. The larger Raptor supports tagged-queuing, whereas the smaller one does not. Also, the seek program for the larger Raptor is optimized for short random accesses (server), whereas the smaller drive is optimized for larger sequential accesses (desktop).

Cheers

#244873 - 30/12/2004 18:17 Just how dumb can come companies be ??? [Re: Cris]
Cris
pooh-bah

Quote:
Dear Sir or Madam,

The order you have placed with Simply Computers for the item: 45284 Netgear 24x 10/100 Smart switch + Gigabit Port

The price has been put on our website incorrectly. The correct price is: £114.89 INC VAT.

Please let me know if you still require this item.

The price was at £119, has been for some time and the stock level has been going down etc... the price is now £135 inc VAT, so where does that leave me, do they have to honour the £114 inc VAT they have quoted me on e-mail ???

I am fed up with this happening with these online stores, it happened with misco.co.uk just before Christmas. Even if they do ship this item at the lower price, I won't be using simply again, I had a big wire it all up day planned for monday, now the switch won't be here in time

Cheers

Cris.

#244874 - 31/12/2004 08:47 Re: Just how dumb can come companies be ??? [Re: Cris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
The T&Cs of most UK based big e-commerce now seem to include phrases stating that there is no contract between you and them until they have taken your money. I believe this has been tested in court and found to be valid. I'm too lazy to try and dig out any proof of this though...

I have recently used the new Distance Selling Regulations to good effect though. I managed to get £340 back from scan.co.uk after deciding I didn't like the monitor I bought from them. They took £24 to cover the postage there and back, which I think is reasonable for a 30kg package.

#244875 - 31/12/2004 09:00 Re: Just how dumb can come companies be ??? [Re: andy]
Cris
pooh-bah

Well I am hoping that they take £135 from my CC, I can then contact my bank and get the difference back, I have it in writing the price is £114.

It somehow feels wrong that they can advertise at one price and then change their minds when someone orders one, I could understand if it was up at 19.99, that would be a mistake, but with a £16 difference it hardly seems worth pissing off potential new customers.

I will wait and see what turns up.

Cheers

Cris.

#244876 - 31/12/2004 12:14 Re: Just how dumb can come companies be ??? [Re: Cris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

The last time I called my CC company to complain about an overcharge (merchant filled slip out for one price, I signed, but when submitted to VISA it had new numbers on it..), they told me they (that particular CC) NEVER refund a difference. Either the charge is valid, or it isn't. So they refunded the entire $855 to my account.

I never heard from the merchant again, and the woodworking tools in question are still going strong in my shop.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (31/12/2004 12:15)

#244877 - 31/12/2004 13:48 Re: Just how dumb can come companies be ??? [Re: mlord]
Cris
pooh-bah

After a brief call (I did keep my cool) they agreed to ship it for a total of £119, they even said sorry for all the messing around.

Still I won't be using Simply.co.uk in a hurry in the future, a good price in the end but hardly worth the trouble, lesson learned, stick with suppliers that you know and trust!

Cheers

Cris.