Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#245391 - 03/01/2005 21:45 Good cordless phone with versatile CID?
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'm using a Uniden 5.8GHz phone system at home. A dial-capable base and two handsets (supports up to 10). All support phone book and caller ID features.

My phone service's (BroadvoxDirect) implementation:
1. My current phone service supplies ALL Caller ID information as a 10 digit number: XXX-XXX-XXXX
2. The phone service supports ONLY 7-digit annd 11-digit dialing
3. I must dial 7-digit for same area code as my line and 11 digit (1+) for all other numbers in other area codes, no mattter if they're local or long distance.

Anyone see a problem here?
1. If I add phonebook entries with a 10 digit format, I get proper CID linking to names in my phone book - But I can't dial any of these numbers from the phone book.
2. If i add phonebook entries with 11 digits, I can dial them, but they will not be matched by CID.

Partial solution as allowed by my phones:
1. The phone allows you to specify your area code in its preferences - it then strips this from incoming CID with a matching area code. This means I can both store and dial 7 digit numbers that are the same area code as my line.

The big problem is that most callers are not in the same area code I'm using - even though they're local. My line is Toronto 416 and I get a lot of calls from 905 (all areas immediately surrounding Toronto) or other like 705 and long-distance codes.

It's really pissing me off that I can't redial the majority of numbers out of my CID list and that I'm not getting phonebook matches on an CID (because I keep a +1 on those so i can dial them).

I asked the phone service for an option to allow 11 digit CID for non-matching area codes or for them to support 10 digit dialing (I don't pay any long distance with this service anyway). Other than that I would need a phone that has an option to dial a +1 on any non-matching area codes automatically.

Any suggestions?

Bruno

#245392 - 05/01/2005 22:24 Re: Good cordless phone with versatile CID? [Re: hybrid8]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
Something's funky here, but maybe it's my understanding of you.

My cordless phone (Siemens) is kinda like yours, with one useful addition: it allows multiple entries of local area codes. So for metro Denver, CO, that means (303) and (720). But our LATA *requires* 10-digit dialing now, so all local numbers captured to the handset 's phonebook have 10 digits already. Long distance numbers come in without prepending the "1" but that's a simple "Edit" before "Save."

#245393 - 06/01/2005 13:45 Re: Good cordless phone with versatile CID? [Re: hybrid8]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Does the phone let you have more than one phone number per entry? If so just put in the 10 digit number and the 11 digit number. If not make a second entry of the same person with the 11 digit number.

#245394 - 07/01/2005 01:37 Re: Good cordless phone with versatile CID? [Re: Attack]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
No double entries and can't duplicate names. If I make two entries that doesn't let me do a redial after CID...

I'm looking at phones while here at CES and will make sure to visit the uniden booth before I leave to see if they have something else.

Incidenntally, the Sahara hotel is an ultra-POS. Just had to share that.

Bruno