Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#245655 - 06/01/2005 20:51 Is it me or bloody Orange again?
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
HI.

For some time now I've been having an odd problem with my cellphone (a 6310i), which I think is actually the local orange cell rather than the phone itself. However, Since I don't have a spare to test it's difficult to be sure. I'm wondering if anyone out there may have similar problems.

Basically, the phone keeps losing cell signal completely. It normally happens during a call, usually after about 3-5 minutes of use. Suddenly it will die mid-word, and the signal strength has dropped to nothing. A randomish time later, usually 10-20 minutes, it comes back full strength as if nothing had happened.

The reason I'm fairly sure it's not the phone is that it only seems to happen at home, and in one or two other areas. Outside these places everything seems to work. I've stripped the phone, cleaned everything, retensioned the antenna contacts, and reassembled it, but it still does it.

If you turn it off during a dead period, wait a few minutes, and turn it back on, it's still got no signal until whatever it is times out. So it doesn't seem to be an overheating problem.

Has anyone else ever had similar problems? I can't get a lot of sense out of Orange, surprisingly

pca

#245656 - 06/01/2005 22:14 Re: Is it me or bloody Orange again? [Re: pca]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I use a 6310i for work everyday on O2 (soon to be Vodaphone ) I have never had a problem, it has to be the best ever mobile phone, I can't see how they could improve on it. It is in almost constant use between 0800 and 1700 and the battery seems to be going on forever, even after almost 2 years of my abuse.

It connects and disconnects to my Nokia Bluetooth Car Kit in the Van, which is more than can be said for my other Nokia 6230. Signal is always good, and I get to some pretty remote places now every man and his dog can get Broadband. I have never had the problem you describe. Rock Solid!

Does it do it when you are away from your home cell ???

Edit - Doh! Re-read your post, could be a cell/phone conflict of some sort. Try taking it to your local Nokia Service Centre, they may upgrade the firmware for you, I think some Carphone Warehouse's can do it too.

Cheers

Cris.

Edited by Cris (06/01/2005 22:18)

#245657 - 06/01/2005 22:17 Re: Is it me or bloody Orange again? [Re: pca]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
When I visit your house with my Orange (NL) 6310i, I find that at 8:30 each morning the Orange cell goes away and is replaced by a T-Mobile. T-Mobile seems to work OK until about 10 AM, which then disappears and either Orange or O2 takes it place. This is as regular as clockwork, a fact I can confirm as the annoying "beep" from my cellphone as it loses signal is about the only thing (apart from Pixel jumping on my face) guaranteed to wake me on your sofa after we have been BFV'ing 'till 4AM. During the day I regularly found that I had to manually keep seeking the Orange cell as for some reason, it was regularly disappearing. I have had the cell cut out once during a call in your back garden, and it was about 4-5 minutes before it came back.

What I reckon is that your house has been targetted by GCHQ and that they are using a Lambda ray to cut off your cell reception as a result of our regular, non-PC discussions relating to the suitability of the current US administration. This PO* setting they are using has deliberately set to high specifically for Nokia 6310i's, thereby explaining my similar experiences when I'm around. This is obviously done with the co-operation of Orange (who will of course deny everything if you confront them) who are providing the b******s with your (and occasionaly, mine when I am present) coordinates. The width of the beam, whilst exceedingly narrow, is still unfortunately finite which is why I can get caught in it too. As yet, the undesirable side-effects of Lambda ray saturation (green goolies) have not manifested themselves on my person, probably due to the relatively infrequent exposure of my bod while attending your premises. However, I would for safety purposes alone, recommend a quick and no doubt furtive examination of the affected area on your own person.

For further information have a look at:

http://www.omigodhelpImbeingirradiatedbylambdarayswhatdoidonow.info

Hope this helps!

Your mate,

Useless Plonker.

* PO = Pissim Orff
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#245658 - 06/01/2005 22:20 Re: Is it me or bloody Orange again? [Re: pca]
mdavey
enthusiast

Loc: Wellingborough, UK
From what you describe, it certainly sounds like Orange. I had that a lot with Orange in the very early days and with 3 in 2003. The only thing that would make me hesitant is the timeframe. Both Orange and 3 cells used to disappear for 5 mins to 10 mins max. (I assume they were rebooting).

Indeed, I once saw a cell that spent 3 days ping-ponging - spending no more than 5 minutes in each state. Bloody annoying, because there was another cell within range and the network had an issue with call-grabbing (the call would drop as it was handed over).

I'd try to talk my way through to engineering (use words like escallate and duty manager, but be very polite and helpful - above all don't suggest it is the network that is at fault until you are talking to an engineer). Older 'phones can be convinced that they belong to an Orange Engineer - thus getting access to the cells' unique identifier. I don't think you can do this with the newer ones (on 3, the Engineers have a little Java app, which is loaded onto the 'phone via a USB connection).

Actually, a quick search on Google suggests another possibility for hardware engineers with a sacrificial 'phone. Type "nokia codes tips" or "nokia network monitor" then hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button.
Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741

#245659 - 06/01/2005 22:25 Re: Is it me or bloody Orange again? [Re: schofiel]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
This sort of thing makes me wish I was a Cell Engineer and not just a boring old Broadband/telephone engineer.

Interesting thing with the time, do you live near something that could knock down the mobile signals ??? RAF base etc... Anything intersting on line of route between you and the Orange mast ?

I have my mobile loacked to o2, so I have no idea how good it is at moving between operators, maybe the phone can't hack the swap to another network ????

Cheers

Cris.

#245660 - 06/01/2005 22:33 Re: Is it me or bloody Orange again? [Re: Cris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Yeah, but the phone ain't moving - and the cell still disappears regularly.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#245661 - 06/01/2005 22:49 Re: Is it me or bloody Orange again? [Re: schofiel]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:

http://www.omigodhelpImbeingirradiatedbylambdarayswhatdoidonow.info

The site's down - have they got them too

Even I'm worried now, and all I've done is laugh at Bushism clips on my PC!

Gareth