Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#245662 - 06/01/2005 21:01 Ethernet problem in Linux
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I'm trying to install a new machine which had an Intel 925 motherboard, which includes an on-board Marvell Yukon Ethernet controller. Linux doesn't detect the controller, but I know the appropriate driver is sk98lin which I am attempting to load manually with modprobe.

The problem is, the driver still does not see the controller. Furthermore, the controller doesn't even show up in /proc/pci. I also noticed that I get no link lights whatsoever, which is odd as most PC's seem to give link lights even when powered down these days.

Does this sound like a faulty mb or some other issue? The mb is PCI Express, but the graphics card is working fine so I assume that isn't a problem.

I'd try installing Windows to see if that finds the controller, but my XP Gold installer hangs as soon as it sees the SATA hard drive

Rob

#245663 - 06/01/2005 21:55 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: rob]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Is this something simple like needing to enable the ethernet chip in the BIOS? Or even (shudder) a jumper?
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#245664 - 06/01/2005 22:36 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: schofiel]
rob
carpal tunnel

Ethernet is enabled in the BIOS. I guess there *could* be a jumper, but I'll have to dig for it as the PC builder didn't include the manuals.

Rob

#245665 - 06/01/2005 22:46 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: rob]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
If it's an Intel MB, then the manuals are all available as PDFs on the main Intel site. Pretty good site, actually.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#245666 - 06/01/2005 22:55 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: rob]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
Does this sound like a faulty mb or some other issue? The mb is PCI Express, but the graphics card is working fine so I assume that isn't a problem.

You should get link state indication regardless of driver situation. So maybe not a bad motherboard per se, but if you have tried different cables, different hub/switchs, it's probably at least a bad ethernet jack/PHY (so a bad mobo for functional/RMA purposes).

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#245667 - 07/01/2005 00:00 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: rob]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Mm.. the driver won't find it unless it also shows up in /proc/pci (or the more modern, "lspci -v").

It really should show up there if it is enabled in the BIOS, unless your Linux is not recognizing the PCI bridge itself..

The link lights on my machines don't normally light up until the driver initializes the card.

Cheers

#245668 - 07/01/2005 00:17 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: mlord]
rob
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Mm.. the driver won't find it unless it also shows up in /proc/pci (or the more modern, "lspci -v").

Aha! I didn't spot it in /proc/pci but it *does* show up with lspci -v:

Code:
  04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.: Unknown device 4361 (rev 17)

Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 3063
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 177
Memory at fe8fc000 (64-bit, non prefetchable) [size=16K]
I/O ports at c800 [size=256]
Expansion ROM at fe8c0000 [disabled] [size=16K]
Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [50] Vital Product Data
Capabilities: [5c] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/1 Enable-
Capabilities: [e0] Express Legacy Endpoint IRQ 0
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting

According to the driver readme it's supposed to show up as a "SysKonnect SK-98xx" but that seems to be synonymous with Marvell Yukon.

Any suggestions?

Rob

#245669 - 07/01/2005 00:36 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: rob]
tman
carpal tunnel

The driver off the Marvell page here not work?

#245670 - 07/01/2005 01:48 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: mlord]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The link lights on my machines don't normally light up until the driver initializes the card.

I was about to doubt myself and my comment and say "Ignore me! I think maybe I am lousing my mind!....Jim, this is a PC, not a switch or something!"

As a sanity test, though, I forced a PC here into a failed boot (set all boot devices to non-existent floppy) and I do indeed get a link state light at the point where it halts upon not finding a bootable partition/device -- no OS/driver. At this point, if I unplug the cable, link light goes out. This is what I would expect.

It very, very well may be that manufacturers implement layer 2 indicators differently and I just haven't grabbed that clue. I *have* encountered cases, though, where ethernet shows up in lspci et al as a valid device but the port still doesn't work (and no link light) because the electronic aspects of the interface are recognized but the actual physical interface is borked -- could be so simple as a bad pin/solder on RJ45.

Even with device recognition under the OS, if Rob's swapped in 2-3 other cables and another switch, that is one of the main things I would suspect.

Interesting, though

#245671 - 07/01/2005 08:03 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: rob]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
...but my XP Gold installer hangs...

I know that your end game is to install Linux on it, but you can easily build an XP+SP2 CD by following the instructions here.

#245672 - 07/01/2005 09:41 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: rob]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.: Unknown device 4361 (rev 17)

Stock 2.6.8.1 (the latest one on lxr.linux.no) has this:
Quote:
/* Don't handle Yukon2 cards at the moment */
if (pdev->vendor == 0x11ab) {
if ( (pdev->device == 0x4360) || (pdev->device == 0x4361) )
continue;
}

Unless Marvell's own driver download is newer, you could be out of luck.

Peter

#245673 - 07/01/2005 09:52 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: peter]
rob
carpal tunnel

Thanks Peter - that looks like the problem. I've been using sk98lin 6.21 from the stock Fedora 3 distribution, while Marvell have 7.07 on their web site. I'll give that a try.

Rob

#245674 - 07/01/2005 13:54 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: rob]
rob
carpal tunnel

Yay, it's now working using the latest driver from Marvell's site. It wouldn't compile right off but I played with a few things and all seems functional now.

Thanks for your help folks!

Rob

#245675 - 08/01/2005 04:03 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: rob]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Now that it's working...

This is a big reason why Windoze remains popular. You still need to be a geek to use linux. I despise Microsoft and I think their products are an abortion, but this is the kind of thing that makes people put up with their horrible software and security. It *appears* to work.

Jim

#245676 - 08/01/2005 04:39 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: Roger]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
but you can easily build an XP+SP2 CD by following the instructions here.

Easially in that case meaning a good bit of work with different programs. The true easier solution is to grab something like XPCreate or nLite tools that either completly automate, or at least assist with slipstreaming.

#245677 - 08/01/2005 07:51 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: drakino]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Easially in that case meaning a good bit of work with different programs.

I'd hardly call xcopy, ISOBuster and Nero a lot of different programs. It takes about 20 minutes. Particularly if you're only going to do once.

#245678 - 08/01/2005 12:31 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: TigerJimmy]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

This is a big reason why Windoze remains popular. You still need to be a geek to use linux. I despise Microsoft and I think their products are an abortion, but this is the kind of thing that makes people put up with their horrible software and security. It *appears* to work.

I don't agree with your argument. To get Windoze working on that system would have taken an analogous step - locating a device driver for a product that was newer than the base OS.

#245679 - 08/01/2005 12:41 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: genixia]
rob
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I don't agree with your argument. To get Windoze working on that system would have taken an analogous step - locating a device driver for a product that was newer than the base OS.

But then, I was working with the latest Linux releases and the only one that recognised my SATA controller was Fedora Core 3. My copy of Windows is a few years old (and that was a freebie from a Microsoft visit) - you would normally expect to get a current version bundled with the machine or more likely pre-loaded.

Windows *is* much much easier to get into for most desktop users. Experimenting with various Linux distros on an AMD64 and an Intel 925 P4 box over the last couple of weeks has been a nightmare. Setting up my Hudson servers was easy, but on the desktop with up to date hardware it is a major pain in the arse.

I still aim to have a 99% Linux environment at my new office though - once Linux is working it's great. I'm *so* impressed with OpenOffice, having not played with it for a couple of years. I'm a heavy MS Office user but this is a totally acceptable alternative (even better in places). I figure I'll have saved about £10,000 by going with Linux, and even more in positive karma.

Rob

#245680 - 08/01/2005 14:16 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: TigerJimmy]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
This is a big reason why Windoze remains popular. You still need to be a geek to use linux.

Okay, I confess. I recently (two days ago) installed MS Windows XP onto a machine here for the first time. Man, has MS learned nothing at all since Win98SE??

At least it didn't barf about the CD-ROM after reboot like WIn98SE, but it could not find drivers for the video, network card, or sound system. And forget about some of the stranger hardware around here! This was on a basic Intel brand motherboard with a mainstream P4-2.4GHz S478 CPU.

And without a working network connection (no ethernet driver), how the heck was I supposed to go out and download drivers???

Linux (FedoraCore2, in this instance) on the same hardware installed more smoothly, had built-in drivers for EVERYTHING, and just plain worked.

'nuff said.

Most people seem to think Linux is harder to install, but yet most people I know have NEVER tried to install MS Windows.. yuck!

Cheers

Edited by mlord (08/01/2005 14:17)

#245681 - 08/01/2005 14:23 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: rob]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Experimenting with various Linux distros on an AMD64 and an Intel 925 P4 box over the last couple of weeks has been a nightmare.

Apart from WinXP (separate post in this topic), the other big new O/S I have tried this year is Debian Sarge (a Linux distro).

Ugly as hell installer, but once you get past that part, the installed product becomes a thing of beauty. I use "synaptic" as a GUI front-end to the package management system, and it is pretty sweet. If I need any new s/w installed, I just point and click, and it automatically works out any dependencies, upgrades, downgrades etc.. that may be needed, and then does them. Without screwing up.

Simply amazing, and HIGHLY recommended instead of FedoraCore. If one can deal with the ugly installer, that is.

Cheers

#245682 - 08/01/2005 14:41 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: mlord]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Linux (FedoraCore2, in this instance) on the same hardware installed more smoothly, had built-in drivers for EVERYTHING, and just plain worked.

Fedora Core 2 was released after XP though...

#245683 - 08/01/2005 14:46 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: tman]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Fedora Core 2 was released after XP though...

That still doesn't help me with WinXP not knowing how to use a very commonplace Intel ethernet chip on a bog-standard Intel brand motherboard!

EDIT: And yes, I've since fixed it, by downloading the WinXP ethernet driver using FedoraCore2 on the same hardware. Still puzzled about the sound system, though, but I don't normally have speakers plugged in anyway.

And FedoraCore2 is not even the latest Fedora O/S. It's actually a rather bad and klunky version.

End-users don't care when things were released. They just want the current version of (whatever) to work!

Cheers

Edited by mlord (08/01/2005 14:48)

#245684 - 08/01/2005 14:55 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: mlord]
tman
carpal tunnel

Oh? It was a EtherExpress Pro based thing? If so then yeah, it should have worked without any problems.

Missing hardware drivers for Windows is sometimes a little confusing. Windows will know that some sort of device doesn't have a driver but it won't actually tell you what it is since it doesn't have the driver in the first place.

The CD that came with the motherboard should have versions of all the drivers you need. Assuming you made the PC yourself or the PC builders gave you the disc...

#245685 - 08/01/2005 15:05 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: mlord]
rob
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Apart from WinXP (separate post in this topic), the other big new O/S I have tried this year is Debian Sarge (a Linux distro).

I run sarge on all my servers. I much prefer Debian to Fedora (perhaps because of my slackware upbringing) but the 64 bit distro is very beta and incomplete. I'm sure it'll be fine in a few months (Debian is always behind the times, as a matter of policy).

I haven't been able to get Debian up on the Intel box yet either because there's no driver for the SATA controller and even legacy mode doesn't seem to work. I thought I'd do a net install via Knoppix but that doesn't find the hard drive either. When I have more time I'll put together a custom install DVD to bring the box up - I really miss Debian's package management!

Rob

#245686 - 09/01/2005 13:15 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: rob]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I really miss Debian's package management!

The shop I inherited a bit over a year ago was Debian, but what I saw was that they had resorted to Debian Testing to get things to work on newer hardware and in some cases had just bypassed hardware (putting Intel NICs in Dell servers to bypass Broadcoms, for instance). We gave it a shot for a while but circumstance led us to a series of 15-20 Redhat/Fedora installs and the last Debian install was retired two weeks ago.

My sense was that we could have kept using Debian, but that we would need to spend more time swimming in the river of Debian culture and communication. With Fedora, I don't think we have spent as much time wandering through Wikis. If we had other platform needs like ARM, obviously our equation would be different. Happily we do have much of Debian package management with apt for rpm on almost all those boxes. I haven't tried synaptic under Fedora yet since the one machine where I would like to use it is x86_64 and apt doesn't handle multi-arch/lib installs yet (at least for RPM), so that machine is stuck in yum/up2date land.

I worked a bit in the office yesterday with a pleasing result. I had cause to want to move a test/demo Web site off of my desktop Dell running FC1 into a drive-less Shuttle XPC. It dawned on me that I might as well do a clean FC3 install on my desktop rather than build up the Shuttle and move Web, PHP, MySQL, et cetera, I just pulled the 3Ware RAID1 FC1 config out of the Dell and stuffed it in the Shuttle. Booted up, anaconda went through about 20 unconfigure/configure dialogues for various chipsets, and I had to reconfigure IP, but then had a running system.

Anaconda has taken its knocks, but that was pretty good. I don't have a good sense of how well other current distros would do at that, but I have to wonder how well I would have fared 3-4 years ago with any of them.

Ah, and having a usable x86_64 under Fedora == good. We just managed to justify a quad Opteron solely on the basis of issues with addressable memory (the new box will have 32GB). Where would we be without x86_64? Granted we'll wind up compiling a bunch of stuff by hand, but having a usable distro for basics will make that go a lot easier.

#245687 - 09/01/2005 13:29 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: jimhogan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Nothing wrong with the Debian "testing" stream, aka "Sarge". It's the "unstable" stream that tends to be very prickly! New hardware support is usually just a matter of the kernel, and most times that matters one will likely be building their own custom kernel eventually regardless.

But AMD64 support.. mmm.. yummy! Sounds like a great platform that 4-way/32G one!

Cheers

#245688 - 09/01/2005 15:23 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: mlord]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Nothing wrong with the Debian "testing" stream, aka "Sarge". It's the "unstable" stream that tends to be very prickly! New hardware support is usually just a matter of the kernel, and most times that matters one will likely be building their own custom kernel eventually regardless.

I am confusing my Debian nomenclature. They had unstable on several boxes and we couldn't get Sarge to find NICs on some of the Dell Poweredges... We are now pretty committed to kernel rolling for things like OpenMosix, but at the time we just wanted to get a bunch of infrastructure boxes running for things like Samba.

Quote:
But AMD64 support.. mmm.. yummy! Sounds like a great platform that 4-way/32G one!

Yup, twill be great for people with memory leaks in their C code! Dang, I just wish we could do something with it other than....statistics!

#245689 - 09/01/2005 15:55 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: tman]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Oh? It was a EtherExpress Pro based thing? If so then yeah, it should have worked without any problems.

Intel did cock up Etherexpress Pro at one stage -- they released a generic Windows driver for the whole range, then came out with a newer chip which the generic driver thought it knew how to drive, but didn't. Sorting that out was a chore (this was NT4 era IIRC), especially as the line of investigation I used above (what PCI VID and PID is it? what VID and PID is it meant to be?) was nothing like so straightforward to discover.

Peter

#245690 - 09/01/2005 16:33 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: peter]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Intel did cock up Etherexpress Pro at one stage

Is it just me, or has anyone else lost some respect for Intel over various chipsets and related drivers? Used to be Intel would be a "safe" choice, but with a mix of Dell and generic machines, it lately seems to be the Dells with on-board Intel video, NIC and such that are giving us trouble one way or another....buggy Windows drivers mostly.

#245691 - 09/01/2005 17:24 Re: Ethernet problem in Linux [Re: jimhogan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The HP Proliant lines switched to Broadcom for onboard gigabit NICs due to the issues we saw with the Intel gigabit PCI cards we sold for a short time. Though, the first server to ship gigabit had a nasty box locking bug under Linux. It used hyperthreading processors, so SMP was on most of the time. It seems the tg3 module (broadcom open source driver) had some SMP related issues. Thankfully day 1 a workaround existed to just use the bcm5700 module instead. tg3 has since been fixed as well.

And no Proliant has ever used an Intel video solution, so I can't comment much. Ancient boxes used Cirus chips, new ones use ATI chips.

Oh, Proliants abandoned Intel chipsets for the most part as well in favor of ServerWorks ones. Or in the 8 way systems, the Profusion chipset, designed by Compaq to fix the Intel 8 way issue of not working.

On the Opeteron side, the systems I have poked at seem to be using AMD chipsets. I'm hoping the design gets expanded, as the AMD boxes we ship lack neet redundancy features like hot plug PCI, RAID 1 or 5 memory and such.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >