Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#246120 - 10/01/2005 12:59 Terminal Emulator for Named Pipe
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I was bored the other day at work, so I decided to see if I could get Linux to come up inside Microsoft Virtual Server.

I had a bunch of problems: with Debian/woody, I kept getting interrupt lost messages, and it was pig slow.

In the end, I went with Debian/sarge (the new installer) which was cool, and worked really well. I've since upgraded it to unstable, which is also working well.

What I'm trying to do today (while getting on with what I'm supposed to be doing) is working out how to compile a Debian-style kernel from the pristine kernel source, so that it's a drop-in replacement for whatever kernel-image I already have installed[1].

Because this thing's virtual, I can't use a normal serial terminal emulator. What I can do is connect the virtual serial port to a named pipe. So I'm wondering if anyone knows of reasonable terminal emulators that will talk to a named pipe instead of a COM port?

[1] I know how to use make-kpkg, but I'm trying to use the /boot/config-2.6.8-k7 file to build a new kernel that's configured identically to the old one (but newer). It won't come up. So I want to use a serial port.

Why? Because I'm trying to compile the ivtv patches against 2.6 without breaking everything else.

#246121 - 10/01/2005 13:19 Re: Terminal Emulator for Named Pipe [Re: Roger]
tman
carpal tunnel

Are you using the ivtv releases from the website or the ones from Chris Kennedy & co?

#246122 - 10/01/2005 13:29 Re: Terminal Emulator for Named Pipe [Re: Roger]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
One thought.. if your machine has more than one serial port, you could just loop back in via a null modem cable..

#246123 - 10/01/2005 14:26 Re: Terminal Emulator for Named Pipe [Re: mlord]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
One thought.. if your machine has more than one serial port, you could just loop back in via a null modem cable..

Doh! Of course I could. Didn't think of that.

#246124 - 10/01/2005 14:29 Re: Terminal Emulator for Named Pipe [Re: tman]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Are you using the ivtv releases from the website or the ones from Chris Kennedy & co?

Hadn't got that far. I was just trying to get the damn thing to come back up with a custom-built kernel using the same config file as the Debian kernel-image package. I _could_ compile a completely custom kernel, but Jen doesn't like it when I break the DHCP/DNS server (as I probably will) on the home network (which this is doubling as).