Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#246999 - 20/01/2005 06:32 Wireless Connectivity Annoyance
srhodes
enthusiast

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
Hi,

As many others before me have done, I am turning to the wealth of experience on this board to help me out.

My system at home consists of a cable modem linked into a wireless router. The router has 2 PCs and a docking sled hard-wired to it.

In my lounge I have a wireless TiVo and a wireless bridge that I connect my xBox to (or sometimes my 2nd docking sled).

I use my xBox for streaming pictures, music, video etc. At least, I would like to. When streaming it seems to work okay for a while and then just hangs. What I was trying last night was transferring a couple of large (700MB) .avi files to it. The first attempt I transferred 100MB pretty quickly and then the connection died. I tried a couple more times - each time rebooting the xBox) and it would only get to 282k before dying again. But, it wasn't just the connection. Once this happened I couldn't connect to the internet with either of the PCs. I ended up shutting everything down (including modem and router) and restarting. All fine again after this.

My router is a Belkin and the bridge is a Linksys. Both pre-54g . I should also point out that data transfer is fine with the xBox hard wired to the router.

So, any suggestions as to why the link dies and why it kills the rest of my network? Will it be something to do with the bridge? This has been frustrating me for some time now.

2x80GB Mk II with Illuminated buttons

#247000 - 20/01/2005 07:01 Re: Wireless Connectivity Annoyance [Re: srhodes]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I've had weird stuff like that happen to me in the past. I would guess the router is the issue. In my experience Belkin makes nothing but crap for routers. A new wireless router is probably the cheapest thing to replace if you buy during a decent sale. The newer models don't seem to have the odd problems of earlier ones. I'm using a Linksys WRT54GS at home now and hasn't has a hiccup since I got it about 3 months ago. I also have a Buffalo WYR-G54 for travel use. Seems to work very well and has a metal case. Recent Netgear routers I've used are stable, but I think the range kind-of sucks. I'd stay away from Belkin and D-Link, but that's just my opinion.

There was a thread about wireless gear a while back, but it has some good info about brand experience. Here

#247001 - 20/01/2005 16:00 Re: Wireless Connectivity Annoyance [Re: srhodes]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It could be thermal. Is the router stuck in an enclosed space somewhere that gets hot? Or is it sitting on top of something that gets hot like a monitor or amplifier?

It could also be a problem with the router like Rob said. Check to see if a firmware upgrade is available for the router.

#247002 - 21/01/2005 06:11 Re: Wireless Connectivity Annoyance [Re: tfabris]
srhodes
enthusiast

Thanks for the replies guys. I always thought that Belkin were supposed to be good hence the reason for going for it.

I found out last night that a friend of mine uses Linksys gear all round his house and is pleased with the performance so I may go that route later this year. I was hoping to spend a little less this year but things keep throwing themselves in the way of my credit card.

Looking at the old thread somebody mentioned the Wet 11 which is the bridge I use. This normally picks up a signal the minute it is switched on and I found it easy to set up. I would love a 2-port bridge that behaved the same way so that I could connect the xBox and the dock at the same time. I believe 3-com have a 3-way but last I looked it was a bit expensive.

In answer to Tony's post, I upgraded the firmware on my Belkin last year which didn't seem to make any difference. It sits on top of some shelves with plenty of clearance although near(ish) a radiator and the room is partially underground and sometimes gets quite hot. Another expense this year - radiator thermostats.

#247003 - 21/01/2005 07:29 Re: Wireless Connectivity Annoyance [Re: srhodes]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Another possibility is interference from other 802.11 gear nearby. Can you change channels on the thing?

#247004 - 21/01/2005 12:12 Re: Wireless Connectivity Annoyance [Re: srhodes]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Plug a small hub into the bridge you already have.. then you'll have a 4/7-port bridge!

Edited by mlord (21/01/2005 18:54)

#247005 - 21/01/2005 15:58 Re: Wireless Connectivity Annoyance [Re: mlord]
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Yep. I'm set up with a WET11 (ver 1) bridge & a hub sitting >250' away from a Netgear 54g AP and things are working very well that way. I love those WET11's, especially the convenience of being able to switch them from straight through to cross-over ethernet connections. Do make sure you've the latest version of the firmware on them, paying careful attention to which version you have. I had stability problems until I updated to the current release.

#247006 - 23/01/2005 08:21 Re: Wireless Connectivity Annoyance [Re: time]
srhodes
enthusiast

Quote:
Another possibility is interference from other 802.11 gear nearby. Can you change channels on the thing?

Unfortunately, I don't think I can.

Quote:
Plug a small hub into the bridge you already have.. then you'll have a 4/7-port bridge!

Would that work? I thought the bridge was assigned the IP and the device connected just got that one. I'd be a bit stuck if this did work as I have really run out of space for wires and plugs. That's why an all-in-one unit appeals.

Quote:
Do make sure you've the latest version of the firmware on them, paying careful attention to which version you have

Good point - I'll give that a go. I'm pretty sure my router is up-to-date but never thought about doing the same for the bridge.

#247007 - 23/01/2005 12:05 Re: Wireless Connectivity Annoyance [Re: srhodes]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Quote:

Would that work? I thought the bridge was assigned the IP and the device connected just got that one.

Should work just fine -- especially considering that someone else here has already confirmed it in practice!

The idea of a bridge, is that it connects two land masses together. Or network masses in this case.

Cheers

#247008 - 23/01/2005 22:03 Re: Wireless Connectivity Annoyance [Re: srhodes]
time
enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, I don't think I can.

Try 192.168.1.255 from your web browser as I believe that is the default web address for the WET11 or just use the address that it gets assigned. You should get the Linksys web configuration screen (after login of course--which I'm hoping you've changed the user name and password for...) and be able to change the assignment of the SSID, IP, ect. And you'll notice at the top a "Status" tab on which there is the Wireless Site Survey to see other traffic in the area.

From that information you should be able to choose a suitable channel on your Access Point away from all the traffic.
See the WiFi Planet's Assigning 802.11b Access Point Channels tutorial for more detail than you need. Reality, there are only three channels to choose from 1, 6, 11 (in the US) w/o overlap.

Cheers.
Tim

#247009 - 24/01/2005 10:30 Re: Wireless Connectivity Annoyance [Re: time]
srhodes
enthusiast

Once again I am shamed by the knowledge on this BBS. That explains one of the unnamed IP addresses in the DHCP client log. I'm starting to understand how it works now. I set up the bridge quite a while ago using a different PC so I've got no idea of the username/password. I'll have to try to use the installation CD to see if it will show me at least the username.

You wouldn't believe I make a living out of IT.

#247010 - 24/01/2005 11:55 Re: Wireless Connectivity Annoyance [Re: srhodes]
srhodes
enthusiast

I've managed to connect to the bridge (I hadn't changed the default password but that is sorted now) and looked at the settings.

In answer to Tony's question - yes, you can change the channel. Now I've looked at it I understand what you mean't. When I set up the bridge and my wireless card for my iPaq I set them all to the same as I had my TiVo - on channel 11.

I've changed the channel on the bridge to 6 and tried to transfer another file to the xBox. Got to 123MB and killed my network again. Just switching the router on and off seems to resolve that straight away. I've also tried on channel 1 and get the same. A transfer at roughly 440KB/s and then BOOM!

I'll try the firmware upgrade route next and see how up-to-date I am.

#247011 - 26/01/2005 00:36 Re: Wireless Connectivity Annoyance [Re: srhodes]
time
enthusiast

I'm thinking it must be a firmware issue. I've had no issues with 1G+ files since we upgraded. Let me know if that does the trick once you've upgraded (write down your settings first...)

Good luck,
Tim

#247012 - 26/01/2005 10:56 Re: Wireless Connectivity Annoyance [Re: time]
srhodes
enthusiast

No new upgrade available for the router but I upgraded the firmware on the bridge from 1.4.3 to 1.5.4. This was looking promising as a new option appeared for cloning the MAC address (documentation recommends switching this on for xBox usage).

It now has a more consistent 120 MB transfer before dying.

I'm going to see if any of my friends have a wireless router I can try instead.