Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#253187 - 01/04/2005 20:10 Protocol for selling and buying used empegs
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This was inspired by a seller's post in another thread.

I would like to codify a set of standard practices for selling/buying used empegs. I'm starting this thread to take suggestions and commentary. When it's all worked out, we'll make a fresh stickypost at the top of this forum, and echo it in the empeg FAQ.

My immediate suggestions are:

- Digital photos of the empeg and its accessories are a must. Buyers will want to assess the condition of the merchandise. Please note that file attachments on this BBS are limited to 200,000 bytes, so pictures need to be sized and saved with the appropriate settings. <instructions for attaching multiple images to a thread and how to inline images will be given.>

- Digital photo of the player's screen, with the "About" box up, showing the player's serial number, is a must.

- Clear statement of the player's origin.

- If the player is missing any of the original accessories, an reason for that must be given.

- If additional accessories are offered (tuner, bag, etc.), say so and provide photos.

- Seller should state clearly if any of the components may be sold separately, or if it must be as a complete set.

- If the player has any known hardware problems, or if any repair attempts have been made, those must be disclosed.

- Seller must realize that a few people have been scammed, and should not be offended if they are treated with initial suspicion.

- Seller should disclose if the player is headed for ebay, or should link directly to the ebay auction if it's already there.

Anything else?

#253188 - 01/04/2005 20:39 Re: Protocol for selling and buying used empegs [Re: tfabris]
Redrum
old hand

Couple ideas...

-State where you’re located

-Must ship within three business days of receiving payment.

-Provide the buyer with an address, phone numbers and email.

-References would be nice. Maybe eBay name so feedback can be checked

-Preferred payment method

-Is shipping included in price?

#253189 - 01/04/2005 22:15 Re: Protocol for selling and buying used empegs [Re: tfabris]
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, California USA
A couple of other things come to mind...

Some sellers don't describe exactly what model they have (Mk2, Mk2a, Rio Car, etc.). That seems to be a question that pops up a lot...

How about including an overall description of the condition, maybe from a list of standardized or pre-defined phrases like "Mint - Never installed" all the way down...

I definitely like the 3 day shipping rule as one of my Empegs took over a month to hit my door after PayPal payment was made (bought from the For Sale board last summer)...

Thanks, Randy

#253190 - 01/04/2005 22:20 Re: Protocol for selling and buying used empegs [Re: The Central Guy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Lots of good suggestions so far.

What about suggestions for buyers, too?

#253191 - 02/04/2005 00:02 Re: Protocol for selling and buying used empegs [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Preferred method of contact (email, PMs, post in thread, etc).

#253192 - 02/04/2005 01:34 Re: Protocol for selling and buying used empegs [Re: tfabris]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
- Seller must realize that a few people have been scammed, and should not be offended if they are treated with initial suspicion.

How about:
Empeg community members should not immediately burn-at-the-stake sellers who fail to comply with these standards, instead encouraging them once or twice to post the standard information.

I've thrown my share of stones at suspicious sellers and I think it's a helpful practice (protected me from a scam seller once). But I'm hoping to diminish the witch hunt a little. Nope, not trying to hijack Tony's thread into a big debate; just trying to show the less-informed legitimate seller's point of view.

#253193 - 02/04/2005 16:43 Re: Protocol for selling and buying used empegs [Re: tfabris]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
- Clear statement of the player's origin.

I got 2 of my units used (one here, one from ebay) and one from the firesale. If I were going to sell one, would a clear statement be "it came from one of these 3 places, but I can't tell you which"?

If yes, the value of the statement is somewhat limited. If no, I can never meet these standards.

#253194 - 02/04/2005 17:42 Re: Protocol for selling and buying used empegs [Re: Daria]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I was thinking more along the lines of knowing how many owners the player has had, whether it came from a reputable source, etc.

Just as additional assurance that it's not stolen. For example, if the player has no sled, or a sled with all the wires cut off, and the seller won't say where it came from or why it's missing the sled, then buyers will have fair warning.

It doesn't stop a fence from lying about it, of course, it's just another layer of comfort.

I'd probably put something like that under the heading of "suggested" as opposed to "mandatory".

#253195 - 02/04/2005 18:07 Re: Protocol for selling and buying used empegs [Re: tfabris]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
then buyers will have fair warning.

Hm.... if buyers know the warning signs of a sketchy transaction. Maybe a note: "Buyers: what to expect." And maybe a section: "Buyers: things that would be cool if included with the empeg".

Might help the uninformed (if there are many on here). Hm, but that also might help auction forgers...

#253196 - 02/04/2005 21:00 Re: Protocol for selling and buying used empegs [Re: tfabris]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of knowing how many owners the player has had, whether it came from a reputable source, etc.

Well, guess what? I have no idea which player has had only one owner, and how many previous owners the others had.... if I knew which was which.

#253197 - 02/04/2005 22:03 Re: Protocol for selling and buying used empegs [Re: tfabris]
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
Would it be feasible to have either a template available online or a web form that asks you these types of questions, asks for (URL's of ...?) specific photos with particular content, allows for additional comments, and then blasts out the output somewhere?

This way you don't forget, and it's all standard...

g

#253198 - 02/04/2005 22:10 Re: Protocol for selling and buying used empegs [Re: grgcombs]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Sure it's feasible. But overkill. I was just thinking guidelines would be enough.

#253199 - 02/04/2005 23:26 Re: Protocol for selling and buying used empegs [Re: Daria]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I'm guessing these guidelines will only be needed for the rare person who signs up for these forums for the sole purpose of selling an empeg. I think all of us trust you.

#253200 - 03/04/2005 03:24 Re: Protocol for selling and buying used empegs [Re: tfabris]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
I think maybe posting your standing here (how many posts), or Ebay feedback is a good idea. Failing that, then possibly a reference from someone already on the board with a 'healthy' standing. Failing all of those, then definaltly a phone number of the SELLER (via email or pm to be private) (so the buyer can contact them, and the seller willing to go to the expense and hassle of a COD arrangment. Also, feedback when the transaction is completed (or scammed!) to let others know about it.
Sound decent? I also think knowing as much of the history is a great idea, however, with only two to my credit, and another in Rob S's hands, I get confused. Shouldn't be a show stopper but should be considered. I have sent stuff to members of the board and each time, I have sent first, and I have not been screwed yet. I traded for a ML Dock, and shipped my stuff first. I sent a M.O. for a tuner kit, and it works great! I sent another person an 8 port Fast Ethernet Switch/router for the heck of it. In each case I sent first, however, I did check, read messages, and had contact with them. Each deal had the exact expectations of each party. I think they all went smooth, but you would have to ask ML, SonicLoop and Sport Driver to name a few, to be sure....