Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#25575 - 24/01/2001 23:05 Pop Click removal from Vinyl Source... Tips?
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
I am finally getting the hint from the music industry that some of my music is never going to see digital light. This leaves me with the monumental task of recording and cleaning my old LPs. Ugh...

I've read the threads here and elsewhere on getting the analogue goodness into the PC. I think I have that covered. My worry has to do with cleaning the inevitable pops, clicks, and static that comes with the territory. Any tips from the Empeg community?

I've done some tests... I've had some success with sampling the noise from a silent portion and using Cool Edit to remove the most of it. I also made a bad purchase of EZCD Creator Pro. Specifically for the "Spin Doctor" which leaves much to be desired. This "Pro" software features cute anthropomorphic music notes dancing and three settings. Whoop-de-doo...

My main question is what kinds of editing can I do to the .WAV files to remove the pops by hand with the least amount of damage? What do these pop removal programs/plug ins do to the wave form? Find the start and end then average? Fill it with pink noise? wha?

Thanks for any help... You would think the RIAA would jump at the chance to charge me again for some of this stuff.

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"There are no Clam eyes to cry Clam tears..."

#25576 - 24/01/2001 23:22 Re: Pop Click removal from Vinyl Source... Tips? [Re: bootsy]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
I think EAC comes with a pop removal tool. I've never tried it, but its worth a shot.

Sean

#25577 - 24/01/2001 23:41 Re: Pop Click removal from Vinyl Source... Tips? [Re: bootsy]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
This website should give you some tips.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~abcomp/lp-cdr.htm

Sean

#25578 - 25/01/2001 03:40 Re: Pop Click removal from Vinyl Source... Tips? [Re: bootsy]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I've used DART Pro 32 with good results on vinyl transcripts, which has a good collection of professional tools above just a simple de-click tool.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#25579 - 25/01/2001 05:05 Re: Pop Click removal from Vinyl Source... Tips? [Re: bootsy]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Something like a higher end audio editor, such as Sound Forge or CoolEdit, have built in utilities that will de-click and clean up vinyl. I have Sound Forge, and theirs works great! Lots of settings and very tunable.

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (40GB Green)

#25580 - 25/01/2001 13:29 Re: Pop Click removal from Vinyl Source... Tips? [Re: pgrzelak]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
Thanks for the info... That web site was particularly interesting. I would recommend it to anyone attempting this sort of recording.

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"There are no Clam eyes to cry Clam tears..."