Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#256175 - 14/05/2005 10:36 NullPointerException on recompiled trio-0.1.6
photo_ted
new poster

I am trying to recompile the front-end to add pet features (explained below). When I do so I get the following error in trio.log:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at trio.TRioServer.activateApp(TRioServer.java:586)
at trio.TRioUnitControlThread.run(TRioUnitControlThread.java:132)

The frame object created at line 584 in TRioServer.java (TRioFrame frame = app.getFrame(unit);) is NULL.

I have the latest source from CVS.

As I've never used signed jar files before I am suspecting the problems is there. I tried modifying build.xml to not sign (copied the concepts from the 0.1.4 version) and tried to create a self-signed keystore. Both methods create the same error. Am I on the right track? Any ideas on getting this fixed?

I get the error with the source from CVS, so I haven't yet introduced bugs - that will come later <g>.

The primary function I am looking for is to be able to run the front-end as a stand-alone app. I added "public static void main(String[] args)" to 0.1.4, in which I instantiated a TRioApplet object. I pass in geom arguments to control the size and placement of the application. This allows me to have 'appliance' laptops, that only run dclock and tRio under X. No window manager. I have a couple of ancient Pentium 90 laptops with insufficient power to do anything useful, but they make great front-end appliances. As one laptop has a small screen (640x480), I also modify the tab and button grid layout on Queue n' Play to each only take one line rather than two. Same functionality, less real estate.

Tx,
Ted

#256176 - 16/05/2005 06:50 Re: NullPointerException on recompiled trio-0.1.6 [Re: photo_ted]
pauln
enthusiast

Loc: UK
Ted,

The current CVS version is "work in progress" with changes for UPnP support and so I wouldn't recommend using it (it needs a new receiver.arf). I did tag the pre UPnP stuff with "V016", so I'd recommend checking that out.

Let me know if you still struggle with that and I'll look into it.

Cheers
Paul

#256177 - 16/05/2005 20:46 Re: NullPointerException on recompiled trio-0.1.6 [Re: pauln]
photo_ted
new poster

Paul,

I suppose it might help if I was working with the right source! After logining into CVS I did the following:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/triot co -P -r V016 trio

When I compiled this, I got several errors not being able to resolve the symbols:
class TRioUnitIntegerSetting
class TRioUnitBooleanSetting

As I found those classes in the current (wip) CVS checkout, I used them and successfully compiled and signed (using my on self-certified store) the jar files. I copied the two trio jar files (trio-0.1.6.jar & trio-applet-0.1.6.jar) over the existing jar files in the working distribution. The app came up, but I only got the Status tabs for the units, no Player tabs. The Rio Receivers themselves cannot find the tRio server. BTW, I was able to successfully rename the units and apply the changes. I did power down the receivers to be sure they reloaded from scratch.

When I copy the distribution jar files back over my compiled files, all works as advertised.

Am I using the right source code? If not, how do I get it? If it's not source code related, might it be the signing. As mentioned, I've never used signed jar files before. Are the receivers expecting the jar files to be signed in a particular way?

Any help is appreciated.

Tx,
Ted

#256178 - 17/05/2005 09:59 Re: NullPointerException on recompiled trio-0.1.6 [Re: photo_ted]
pauln
enthusiast

Oops, sorry about the unresolved symbols - my tagging obviously wasn't all that thorough!

I'm not sure what the best way forward is from here. I've done some more work on the uPnP stuff since my last commit and reckon it's not too far off ready now. If you don't mind being a guinea-pig I could commit that and see how you get on with it.

Cheers
Paul

#256179 - 17/05/2005 12:10 Re: NullPointerException on recompiled trio-0.1.6 [Re: pauln]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Oops, sorry about the unresolved symbols - my tagging obviously wasn't all that thorough!

Subversion :-)

#256180 - 17/05/2005 20:41 Re: NullPointerException on recompiled trio-0.1.6 [Re: pauln]
photo_ted
new poster

Oink, oink (well, OK that isn't a 'guinea' pig, but you get the idea).

I'd be happy to give it a try. Once you are ready, tell me what to check out: the latest, or something that you have tagged and I'll try to compile it.

Does the signing have any impact? Can I bypass that step by changing the build.xml to create .jar files instead of .ujar files? Not that I really trust my own coding, but signing it isn't going to make it any better

Ted

#256181 - 18/05/2005 10:11 Re: NullPointerException on recompiled trio-0.1.6 [Re: photo_ted]
pauln
enthusiast

Ted,

Great (but I'd recommend you keep a low profile should you go south of the equator).

Are you running against ARM or jreceiver? If it's jreceiver then I can hopefully commit stuff tonight (GMT). Otherwise it'll be next week sometime. It works against MusicMatch and TwonkyVision, so you can install those in the mean time (if you're wanting to try out the upnp stuff).

Cheers
Paul

#256182 - 18/05/2005 15:56 Re: NullPointerException on recompiled trio-0.1.6 [Re: photo_ted]
pauln
enthusiast

I've just realised that I didn't answer your question about the signing (and you asked twice!). The answer is that I don't think it should make any difference.

Cheers
Paul

#256183 - 18/05/2005 19:30 Re: NullPointerException on recompiled trio-0.1.6 [Re: pauln]
photo_ted
new poster

Paul,

I am running against jreceiver 2.5 with plain vanilla requirements - I only play mp3 files from the server. I don't use the other features. At least we'll see if it compiles and boots up correctly.

I am planning on checking out the lastest version, without tags unless I hear otherwise.

As I only have a vague notion of UPnP, I won't be trying that in the near future, although I am always interested in expanding my knowledge and the capabilities of my systems.

Ted

#256184 - 18/05/2005 19:36 Re: NullPointerException on recompiled trio-0.1.6 [Re: photo_ted]
pauln
enthusiast

Ted,

I've committed the changes now - no tag. But you'll need a new receiver.arf. Please PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Cheers
Paul