Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#260360 - 14/07/2005 01:07 Interfacing with factory amplifiers.
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I've been trying to get my empeg installed in my new Dodge Charger for the last two weeks or so. The first shop I went to said there was no way to make use of the factory amplifier, so they'd have to bypass it and add an amp instead. Sensing they might be trying to make an extra buck, I took it to another shop, who said they'd be able to interface with the factory amp. It turns out they had a wiring harness that fit, but all the wires except for the power were different, and they couldn't find any of them that was a "left" or a "right" input. Apparently they're all some other kind of signal, maybe digital or something.

Anyway, he's got calls in to Visteon (who makes the amp) and some other company that makes the wiring harnesses. However, I don't really have high hopes he'll get anywhere with them, so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas how I might be able to proceed. Is anyone familiar with what mechanisms the car manufacturers are using to connect factory head units and amplifiers? Has anyone gone through this song and dance before?

#260361 - 14/07/2005 03:04 Re: Interfacing with factory amplifiers. [Re: tonyc]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
My Mini had a totally propritary system so I had to replace the amp, wiring, and speakers.

In the Mini there was some kind of line level output from the head unit going to the amp but the amp itself controlled all the signal processing stuff like bass, treble, and DSP settings.

The wiring was weird also because they had a 3 way speaker setup in the front doors with the crossover built into the amp and the rears were dual voice coil 6X9s.

The Mini setup was branded as Harmon Kardon so i'm sure it is totally different from yours but the result will probably be the same. (rip it all out)

Do they have any climate controls or other extras incorporated into the head unit that would prevent you from being able to remove it ?

Matt

#260362 - 14/07/2005 13:50 Re: Interfacing with factory amplifiers. [Re: msaeger]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
My Mini had a totally propritary system so I had to replace the amp, wiring, and speakers.

Yeah, that's precisely what I'm trying to avoid. My factory system sounds great, it just doesn't have an empeg. To replace it with a system of comparable sound is probably $1500-$2000 that I'd rather not spend if I can find a way to hack it.

Quote:
The wiring was weird also because they had a 3 way speaker setup in the front doors with the crossover built into the amp and the rears were dual voice coil 6X9s.

Yeah, I have crossovers in my amp too. Mid-bass drivers in the door, tweeters in the dash.

Quote:
The Mini setup was branded as Harmon Kardon so i'm sure it is totally different from yours but the result will probably be the same. (rip it all out)

Yeah, but why is that necessarily the only way? It's all electronics. How complex could what they're doing be?

Quote:
Do they have any climate controls or other extras incorporated into the head unit that would prevent you from being able to remove it ?

I don't think so, but my main issue is not wanting to replace a perfectly good factory setup with something aftermarket. I see a lot of money being spent just to get equivalent sound. That's not a good use of my money. I'd much rather spend time/money finding a way to integrate, but wouldn't know how to go about figuring it all out.

#260363 - 14/07/2005 14:06 Re: Interfacing with factory amplifiers. [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
my new Dodge Charger

If it's anything like Tod's Dodge Durango, the problem is that the factory amp needs a higher power level going into it than regular line level, so you need a little in-line amplifier. It's more than just a wiring harness, it's a set of wiring harnesses that go on either side of a little interface box that amplifies the signal a bit.

Of course, your model could be different.