Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#260982 - 20/07/2005 14:03 RoadmapGPS features
TedP

Loc: South Bay, CA: USA
Hello All,

Now that it's working, I'm loving the RoadmapGPS App. It's very cool, but would benefit from a couple of features. First, the Roadmap part of the application has gone through several revisions. I'm wondering how hard would it be to stitch the new version in? Also, I know routing is impossible without external processing, but would it be hard to have a "distance to" and "direction to" a waypoint?

Just wondering... seems like there's alot of potential for this app with some minor mods.

Cheers
-Ted

#260983 - 20/07/2005 14:15 Re: RoadmapGPS features [Re: TedP]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
would it be hard to have a "distance to" and "direction to" a waypoint?

That's in the regular GPSapp... if you program the waypoint ahead of time.

Personally, I want only one feature in RoadmapGPSapp: That's to have the scaling factor of roadmap and the scaling factor of GPSapp match up. So I can have both on the screen at the same time.

#260984 - 05/08/2005 22:50 Re: RoadmapGPS features [Re: TedP]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
I plan to work on RoadmapGPSApp again soon- I got away from it a bit because I just haven't had time (been in the process of moving across the country and such) and because the next thing I wanted to fix was the scaling factor so the GPSApp and Roadmap routes match. Unfortunately it's not as easy as it sounds since I have no formal training myself in GIS theory and math. There may be a simple solution but the problem is basically that Roadmap and GPSApp use different projection algorithms. So if I changed GPSApp to use Roadmaps' projection it would be- well difficult. The other thing is Roadmap now supports what are called "drivers" which basically let you use Roadmap's base mapping engine and write your own interface for it. That's great- but it also means if I touch RoadmapGPSApp again I mine as well do a total re-write to use the driver interface. So the bottom line is- I need to sit down and just do it. But if anyone with more experience with GIS algorithms can help that would be nice...