Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#264864 - 08/09/2005 17:49 Dualdiscs and the Central
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, California USA
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but here's a pleasant surprise with the Central.

I would say that most of us that have Centrals realize that CDs released in the last few years are not in the on-board Gracenote database, and an online lookup is required to get that information during the ripping process...

However, I've noticed lately for two or three of the new format Dualdiscs that I've ripped (CD on one side and DVD on the other) that the CD title information is read correctly by the Central, even for new releases that shouldn't be in the on-board database.

So I'm making a guess that there is some CD text title info on the disc itself and the Central is able to read it? Anyone have more info? I don't remember if all the tags like year and genre are filled in, since I'm so used to doing that myself the "correct" way!!!

I just think it's pretty cool that my 3+ year old Central is smart enough to read the titles from these newfangled discs....

Randy

#264865 - 08/09/2005 18:16 Re: Dualdiscs and the Central [Re: The Central Guy]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
So I'm making a guess that there is some CD text title info on the disc itself and the Central is able to read it?

That's possible. The Central does support the "CD-TEXT" extension, which if you're very lucky provides titles and artist names for each track. I say "lucky", because very, very few CDs actually have this information on.

Peter