Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#266001 - 25/09/2005 11:45 Realtime Transcoding of RealAudio to MP3 Shoutcast
Saki
stranger

Loc: London
It's a long shot, but I wondered if anyone here can think of a way to transcode live RealAudio streams into format that works with Trio? The Rios in my kitchen and living area have successfully displaced my traditional stereos, but I miss listening to live BBC radio, which is only available via RealAudio.

Any ideas, anyone?!

Saki

#266002 - 28/09/2005 23:06 Re: Realtime Transcoding of RealAudio to MP3 Shoutcast [Re: Saki]
geeknerd

Why not try and hook realaudio into trio? I believe the realaudio source is available through the realaudio helix project.

#266003 - 01/10/2005 12:49 Re: Realtime Transcoding of RealAudio to MP3 Shoutcast [Re: geeknerd]
Saki
stranger

Loc: London
Hmm. Sounds like that would require software skills rather than something that I'd be able to do rather than cobble together by getting some off-the-shelf software to talk to each other.

The other thing that struck me as tricky was getting the real stream to start to play once I'd clicked the shortcut in the radio list.

oh well, maybe someone will figure out how to make it easy one day. Since my orginal post, i saw that someone has got something working for the Slimp3, so there's hope!

http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin/amusements/alienstream/version2/

#266004 - 02/10/2005 05:30 Re: Realtime Transcoding of RealAudio to MP3 Shoutcast [Re: Saki]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
oh well, maybe someone will figure out how to make it easy one day

Real doesn't want it to be easy. The reason they use their own proprietary streaming audio format is specifically to make it hard for you to save it and re-use it.