Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#269563 - 16/11/2005 11:28 Re: My take... [Re: JeffS]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
I do understand that faith looks like foolishness to you; however, I do not see why it would depress you. Frustrate, perhaps, since it creates an impass over certain political issues. That is frustrating to me at least. But depressing I don't see. From your perspective, it seems the worst thing is that I believe in a lie that makes me happy

It's not your happiness that's depressing -- far from it. (It's not usually productive or helpful to tell someone their anti-depressant is a placebo, even if it is one.) It's the way that followers of your faith desire things that would cause other people unhappiness -- gays, the unwantedly-pregnant, the unmonogamous at risk from cervical cancer -- that is depressing. And the reason for that is that, while it's depressing enough that there are criminals and so on in the world who are deliberately causing unhappiness, it's more depressing that there are people who believe they're doing good who are also causing unhappiness.

Quote:
and if there is no God (or anything else beyond us and this life) then none of what we do ends up being of real consequence anyway

No, and IMO nor should it. From my point of view, it's a positive thing that overall human happiness in this life is the only real consequence and highest goal of our actions.

Peter

#269564 - 16/11/2005 12:33 Re: My take... [Re: wfaulk]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Bitt - wayyyy too much thought on a troll post!

However, since you put in so much careful thought, I must rebut. I submit to you that my thoughts were under the third, anthropological, definition of technology.

techˇnolˇoˇgy
Pronunciation Key (tk-nl-j)
n. pl. techˇnolˇoˇgies

_______1. The application of science, especially to industrial or commercial objectives.
_______2. The scientific method and material used to achieve a commercial or industrial objective.
2. Electronic or digital products and systems considered as a group: a store specializing in office technology.
3. Anthropology. The body of knowledge available to a society that is of use in fashioning implements, practicing manual arts and skills, and extracting or collecting materials.

That said, I cede the point that almost every item on my list has seen vast improvement over the past two millenia.

My point is that the really good ideas have staying power.

-Zeke

#269565 - 16/11/2005 13:11 Re: My take... [Re: bonzi]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
at most one of them can be true

Actually, I don't know that that's true. If you allow for the fungibility of each God lying a little bit to his constituents, or, perhaps more likely, the constituents lying to themselves, about things like who created the Universe (Yahweh: "Yeah, Vishnu helped, but it was my idea, and really he just made suggestions"), I don't see any reason that there can't be multiple Gods. Christians can be assumed by their God, Hindus can be reincarnated by theirs, Buddhists can, well, there's no Buddhist god, so uh, become gods themselves (?), Confucians can join their ancestors, Muslims can find their 50 virgins (do Muslim women get 50 boytoys?), and so on and so forth.

#269566 - 16/11/2005 16:00 Re: My take... [Re: larry818]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Gratuitous thread hijacking...

Quote:
The Ancient Engineers

I highly recommend reading this book. It's amazing how far back some of the technology goes. There was a developer from around 2,000 years back that converted houses to central heat for profit.

A friend of mine had the theory that the Romans were perilously close to having the industrial revolution. For example, they had virtually all of the ingredients necessary to have water-powered machinery: they could move water around through aquaducts, they had wheels and other assorted parts, and they had basic metallurgy (mostly for military applications, I suppose). The question is whether they had (a) the financial and legal framework, much less political stability, for such businesses to come to fruition, and (b) whether there was any need for mechanized labor when they had perfectly functional slave labor, instead.

At a talk given here by James Burke several years ago, I ask his opinion of this theory in the crush surrounding him after his talk was over. He felt the Romans were nowhere near the industrial revolution for some of the reasons above. Thoughts?

#269567 - 16/11/2005 17:58 Re: My take... [Re: JeffS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm staying out of this discussion, but I did want to say this:

Jeff, I just want to say how cool it is to watch you steadfastly and intelligently defend your faith.

#269568 - 16/11/2005 18:21 Re: My take... [Re: tfabris]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Thanks, Tony. That means a lot to me.

#269569 - 16/11/2005 21:13 Re: My take... [Re: JeffS]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Well, (in my view, of course) I see an intelligent, good person spend considerable time and effort only to acquire an absurd worldview, complete with eternal guilt for nothing in particular. That this worldview leads to irrational, harmful political decisions only adds insult to injury. Isn't that enough to feel depressed?

I won't torture you any more, Jeff (for now ). Thank you once more for your patience and effort. Your careful, sincere arguments are again good food for thought, if not in deciding one's belief system, then for getting more glimpses of curious ways human mind works.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#269570 - 16/11/2005 21:33 Re: My take... [Re: DWallach]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Quote:
A friend of mine had the theory that the Romans were perilously close to having the industrial revolution. For example, they had virtually all of the ingredients necessary to have water-powered machinery: they could move water around through aquaducts, they had wheels and other assorted parts, and they had basic metallurgy (mostly for military applications, I suppose). The question is whether they had (a) the financial and legal framework, much less political stability, for such businesses to come to fruition, and (b) whether there was any need for mechanized labor when they had perfectly functional slave labor, instead.

Marxist political economy would say clearly (b), but I think it's both.

BTW, from purely technoogical and scientific side, Greeks were also close (see, for example, Heron of Alexandria for his steam engine precusors or Antikythera Machanism for an elaborate astronomical analog computer). But again, there was no need for widespread use of any of that in their economy.

BTW, I seem to remember reading an entertainong piece of SF where Romans invented bicycle and discovered America.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#269571 - 17/11/2005 02:05 Re: My take... [Re: bonzi]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:

Marxist political economy would say clearly (b), but I think it's both.

BTW, from purely technoogical and scientific side, Greeks were also close (see, for example, Heron of Alexandria for his steam engine precusors or Antikythera Machanism for an elaborate astronomical analog computer). But again, there was no need for widespread use of any of that in their economy.

BTW, I seem to remember reading an entertainong piece of SF where Romans invented bicycle and discovered America.

My theory is that the US was the first modern, stable democracy with a free capitalistic economy, and that spurred the industrial revolution. Individuals had a lot to gain by inventing something new and spiffy, so that helped advace technology more rapidly.

Of course technology advanced in Europe at the same time, so who knows.

#269572 - 17/11/2005 06:13 Re: My take... [Re: ]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

My theory is that the US was the first modern, stable democracy with a free capitalistic economy, and that spurred the industrial revolution. Individuals had a lot to gain by inventing something new and spiffy, so that helped advace technology more rapidly.

Of course technology advanced in Europe at the same time, so who knows.

I think you'll find that Europe had a bit of a head start on the US during the industrial revolution, when the industrial revolution started in Europe the US was being used largely as a source of raw materials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_revolution

The US didn't gain independance until part way through the industrial revolution. I'm guessing that they didn't have democracy under British rule ?

#269573 - 17/11/2005 11:37 Re: My take... [Re: andy]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Quote:
the US was being used largely as a source of raw materials.

...until Samuel Slater stole the designs for the textile equipment from the British, that is!

American Heritage article on it for reference.

-Zeke

#269574 - 17/11/2005 15:01 Re: My take... [Re: ]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Quote:
My theory is that the US was the first modern, stable democracy with a free capitalistic economy, and that spurred the industrial revolution.

According to James Burke, who is never wrong, the industrial revolution started in Britain's empire expansion period when there was need to build gobs of sailing ships, and it was easier to make them all of production parts than hand crafting each one.

#269575 - 17/11/2005 15:23 Re: My take... [Re: wfaulk]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Quote:
That's pretty snazzy stuff. That said, the notion that none of those things have seen improvement in 2000 years is untrue. The fact that some of them are still being used and the fact that some things we think of as inventions of the last hundred years are pretty remarkable though.

I never meant to imply that no improvement has happened in 2000 years, just to point out that some of technology goes back quite far.

It surprises me that the Chinese never had an industrial revolution. In Europe's heyday of big sailing ships, China had ships three times bigger than anything out of Europe. All hand made.

To get slightly back on topic...

I notice there's some discussion about the behaviour of "religions" in general. It seems that "religions" here mean Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam).

From living in Asia for a few years, I was amazed at the non-exclusivity of the Big Three (Buddhist, Daoist, Confucianism). Each tend to adopt elements of the other. Also, none of them started out as religions, just philosophies. Folks, all of whom seem to need religions, turned them into religions.

I'm happy that FSM came along. Finally, a religion I can sink my teeth into.

#269576 - 17/11/2005 16:25 Re: My take... [Re: larry818]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'm happy that FSM came along. Finally, a religion I can sink my teeth into.

Brother, I think you need some slack.

#269577 - 18/11/2005 13:16 Re: I support* Intelligent Design, let's fight. *kind of [Re: FireFox31]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Sorry for jumping into this thread. I haven't read most of the thread, and I tried to make sure this wasn't posted yet, but I just wanted to post this article. Normally I'd never agree with this guy, but I agree with this article on every point.

But I also echo Tony's comment, Jeff, and I'm happy we can have such civilized , intelligent debate here.

#269578 - 18/11/2005 14:01 Re: I support* Intelligent Design, let's fight. *kind of [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I also agree 100%.

#269579 - 18/11/2005 17:23 Re: I support* Intelligent Design, let's fight. *kind of [Re: Dignan]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
Quote:
but I just wanted to post this article. Normally I'd never agree with this guy, but I agree with this article on every point.

Me too. I thought it would be a cold day in hell when I agreed with Krauthammer.

While we're on the topic, Grand Old Spenders is another recent op-ed in the Post from a conservative (George Will) that I agree with. It reminded me that I might actually vote Republican if the word "conservative" these days meant fiscal and not social.

Edit: corrected author

Edited by Dylan (18/11/2005 17:47)

#269580 - 18/11/2005 17:32 Re: I support* Intelligent Design, let's fight. *kind of [Re: Dylan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

It's George Will, not Buckley, but that's pretty much six of one, half a dozen of the other. Well, it used to be. Will's been more reactionary and party-line-y over the last few years than he used to be, but still more old-school conservative than most.

#269581 - 18/11/2005 17:41 Re: I support* Intelligent Design, let's fight. *kind of [Re: Dignan]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Agreed on both points

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4