Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#270611 - 25/11/2005 02:28 Palantir Bluetooth Alpha
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Thought I would post some pictures and the alpha. It's working really well so far, but it over doubled the lines of code for Palantir. This is only the alpha version, I have not tested it on any other hardware except for a Tungsten T5. I'm hoping maybe there are others out there with a T3, TX, Treo 650 or Zire with BT capabilities that wouldn't mind giving this a go.

This version will beam some text representing your playlist to a Bluetooth serial device. It is intended for use with a Bluetooth serial dongle (like the AirCable), but it will beam to any BT device that supports the serial port profile. To test this, you could create a BT serial port on your computer using a PC BT adapter and it's software, and hook up a terminal program to that virtual serial port. Then fire up Palantir and select the Bluetooth Preferences menu. Put a check next to the serial port you just enabled on your PC, then beam a playlist. You should see the playlist come in over the terminal program running on your PC.

Empire is in the process of being modified to listen to the serial port for these commands, so there is work left to do before the entire thing will work together. I suspect the audience for this is small, too, since the only ones I know of so far that have BT serial port adapters are me, mlord and dbrashear, but let me know if you will find this useful.

Attachments
270517-palantir.prc (344 downloads)

#270612 - 25/11/2005 02:29 Re: Palantir Bluetooth Alpha [Re: cushman]
cushman
veteran

Attachments
270518-btplaylist.png (250 downloads)

#270613 - 25/11/2005 02:30 Re: Palantir Bluetooth Alpha [Re: cushman]
cushman
veteran

Attachments
270519-btprefs.png (224 downloads)

#270614 - 25/11/2005 02:31 Re: Palantir Bluetooth Alpha [Re: cushman]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Looks pretty slick!

I'm hoping that I'll have time to play with it all some year!

Cheers

#270615 - 25/11/2005 03:52 Re: Palantir Bluetooth Alpha [Re: cushman]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
Thought I would post some pictures and the alpha. It's working really well so far, but it over doubled the lines of code for Palantir. This is only the alpha version, I have not tested it on any other hardware except for a Tungsten T5. I'm hoping maybe there are others out there with a T3, TX, Treo 650 or Zire with BT capabilities that wouldn't mind giving this a go.

This version will beam some text representing your playlist to a Bluetooth serial device. It is intended for use with a Bluetooth serial dongle (like the AirCable), but it will beam to any BT device that supports the serial port profile. To test this, you could create a BT serial port on your computer using a PC BT adapter and it's software, and hook up a terminal program to that virtual serial port. Then fire up Palantir and select the Bluetooth Preferences menu. Put a check next to the serial port you just enabled on your PC, then beam a playlist. You should see the playlist come in over the terminal program running on your PC.

Empire is in the process of being modified to listen to the serial port for these commands, so there is work left to do before the entire thing will work together. I suspect the audience for this is small, too, since the only ones I know of so far that have BT serial port adapters are me, mlord and dbrashear, but let me know if you will find this useful.

i guess i need to wire up the BT adapter in the new car.

#270616 - 25/11/2005 05:18 Re: Palantir Bluetooth Alpha [Re: cushman]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I should know better than to ask but...

Can it request a download of the existing playlists on the empeg?

#270617 - 25/11/2005 13:07 Re: Palantir Bluetooth Alpha [Re: gbeer]
cushman
veteran

Quote:
Can it request a download of the existing playlists on the empeg?

Nope.

#270618 - 25/11/2005 13:09 Re: Palantir Bluetooth Alpha [Re: Daria]
cushman
veteran

Quote:

I bought two, so I have to rip apart my car to put one in there and wire up my dock to supply power for the second adapter.

#270619 - 25/11/2005 13:25 Re: Palantir Bluetooth Alpha [Re: cushman]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
Quote:

I bought two, so I have to rip apart my car to put one in there and wire up my dock to supply power for the second adapter.

I can easily pigtail out a wire from my dash where the serial port dangles out. I have no CD changer in my car so there's an empty bay.

#270620 - 28/11/2005 20:21 Re: Palantir Bluetooth Alpha [Re: cushman]
eliceo
enthusiast

Can anyone comment on the usable range the palm can be away from the empeg when sending a playlist?

I really liked palantir on my palm 3xe. Just the palm ir was very tricky.

#270621 - 28/11/2005 21:12 Re: Palantir Bluetooth Alpha [Re: eliceo]
cushman
veteran

Quote:
Can anyone comment on the usable range the palm can be away from the empeg when sending a playlist?

This depends on your Palm radio power and the BT Serial adapter you get. With the Tungsten T5 and the AirCable adapter, I can send from about 20 feet away without a problem. You should not have any problem sending a playlist within your car unless you have some kind of interference (or a stretch limo).

#270622 - 29/11/2005 09:42 Re: Palantir Bluetooth Alpha [Re: cushman]
simspos
enthusiast

Loc: Dudley, UK
Quote:
...since the only ones I know of so far that have BT serial port adapters are me, mlord and dbrashear, but let me know if you will find this useful

I bought one of the AirCable BT serial port adaptors as soon as you mentioned the possibility of this happening, so I AM EXTREMELY INTERESTED IN THIS PROJECT

Keep up the good work.

Cheers, Sim

#270623 - 29/11/2005 14:17 Re: Palantir Bluetooth Alpha [Re: cushman]
eliceo
enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:

This depends on your Palm radio power and the BT Serial adapter you get. With the Tungsten T5 and the AirCable adapter, I can send from about 20 feet away without a problem. You should not have any problem sending a playlist within your car unless you have some kind of interference (or a stretch limo).

This would be great in car. Hmm I might buy both just for this functionality.

#270624 - 29/11/2005 15:20 Re: Palantir Bluetooth Alpha [Re: cushman]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
since the only ones I know of so far that have BT serial port adapters are me, mlord and dbrashear, but let me know if you will find this useful.

I had my mouse hovering dangerously above the Submit Order button for an Aircable adapter. The only thing that is holding me back is the lack of convenient device to talk to it. I didn't get a Treo 650 this year, and am realistically not going to get one until next year now (keeping the 600). However it is set in stone that I'm going to have one so I'm definately going to use this code sometime!

Looks totally sweet btw!

On the side, dbrashear, you said that you were having trouble with the Treo's bluetooth, right? Is it still flaky? I'm probably going to get this reguardless though and fiddle about with it.