Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#272325 - 16/12/2005 09:07 Goodbye Karma, you've been a good friend.......
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Plugged the Karma in for its usual weekly upload, just now and there was a large butterfly shaped, dirty brown pattern obscuring the screen - what's worse, Music Manager can't find it and Windows says it can't recognise the USB device, so although it plays fine, I suppose that's the end.
So the subject of what to replace it with arises, now there's no Rio to go at, what's the best alternative to replace it with? Being loyal to the Empeg/rio community, I haven't really thought to look to left or right. I suppose these days, I don't need 20gb., I'd probably do fine with 4 or 5.

#272326 - 16/12/2005 10:07 Re: Goodbye Karma, you've been a good friend....... [Re: boxer]
boxer
pooh-bah

Quote:
a 3600 + empeg software demonstrator that looks remarkably like the unreleased 2005 Rio 1" product - same size as a Rio Carbon but with a colour OLED and all those natty Karma features - plus things like photo viewing & all that.

I should have read the previous thread before posting mine, but I don't think that I can wait that long for it to hit the shops.

#272327 - 16/12/2005 15:46 Re: Goodbye Karma, you've been a good friend....... [Re: boxer]
eliceo
enthusiast

Lots of units that are used or refurbs on ebay. I think ill have to buy a used one when my karma dies. Overall I think the device is pretty tough, ive dropped it and heavily used it.

#272328 - 17/12/2005 10:41 Re: Goodbye Karma, you've been a good friend....... [Re: boxer]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Probably the closest equivalent of Rio now is iRiver, in that they cram in as many neat features as they can think of, sometimes at the expense of usability. I don't think they ever made a player as good as the Karma, but netiher did they make a player that unreliable.

If you want a player that simply does what it claims to do (very, very well) then there is nothing to beat an iPod. The Video edition is gorgeous, and available in black Although I've bought several iPods as presents recently, I can't bring myself to use one while my Karma is still ticking (umm, or in fact, not ticking, 'cos that would be bad).

Rob

#272329 - 17/12/2005 11:07 Re: Goodbye Karma, you've been a good friend....... [Re: rob]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Did anyone else feel that sudden disturbance in The Force? As if a billion voices cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced?

#272330 - 17/12/2005 16:15 Re: Goodbye Karma, you've been a good friend....... [Re: pgrzelak]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
If there was a little guy left in the market deserving support I'd support them. But the segment has "matured" which means there are only big faceless corporations left in the game. Apple play it slightly better than the others right now.

I'll be interested to see what customers Sigmatel persuade to take a risk with a non-formulaic featureset - and I'll buy those products, if they're realised.

Rob

#272331 - 17/12/2005 23:22 Re: Goodbye Karma, you've been a good friend....... [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Did anyone else feel that sudden disturbance in The Force?

#272332 - 18/12/2005 12:13 Re: Goodbye Karma, you've been a good friend....... [Re: rob]
boxer
pooh-bah

Quote:
Although I've bought several iPods as presents recently

There's me answer, me old mate, me old pal!!! I'll wait 'till after Christmas just in case!
But it strikes me, I'll be passing through duty free on Saturday, that could well be the solution.