Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#273095 - 30/12/2005 13:57 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Since it's a slow day on the board, I figured I can contribute by finally taking a few pics of the Trooper install me and my friend Ian completed about 5 weeks ago. It's pretty basic looking, but does exactly what I wanted. Sorry, there were no pics taken of the actual install. Pics are available on riocar.org but I've also included them here.

Yet another Trooper that I've bought (my 3rd). This one's a 1998 and is Automatic transmission. It's also the most deluxe one I've owned with leather, cool wheels, and fake wood on the interior.

This is the first dual head unit install I've done. I think it came out really nice. The main HU is an Alpine CDA-9847. The empeg is connected to the Ai-Bus's AUX adapter.

Also connected to the Ai-Bus is an XM satellite radio adapter. In this photo, XM is the selected source. With this setup, I have the best of all worlds. Empeg, CD, CD with MP3 support, XM satellite radio, and AM/FM if I want to listen to commercials.

#273096 - 30/12/2005 15:32 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: robricc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Very nice.

#273097 - 31/12/2005 01:16 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: robricc]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Is that an aftermarket 2 DIN holder? Or was that the original factory piece? Ah, I miss the days of straight DIN.

#273098 - 31/12/2005 01:38 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: FireFox31]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Tony: Thanks for the kudos.

FireFox: That's the factory stereo mounting locations. Where the Alpine is now, was the factory head unit. In the empeg slot there was a factory in-dash 6 disc changer. In 1998 I'm sure someone paid a ton for that thing. Now it's scrap.

I had to shave around the lower slot to fit the empeg sled. But, yeah... if only every car out there now was that easy.

#273099 - 27/01/2006 00:28 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: robricc]
robricc
carpal tunnel

This car was just declared a total loss. I have to rip the stuff out this weekend. Oh yay.

It fell into a crater in Jersey City, NJ which cracked the oil pan and engine block. Anyone have an opinion on going after the city? Would there be any point?

#273100 - 27/01/2006 03:55 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: robricc]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
Sorry for your loss, the poor thing.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#273101 - 27/01/2006 03:57 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: robricc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oh, man, I'm so sorry to hear about that.

I've always wondered whether you could hold a city responsible for pothole damage. I'd be interested in the outcome.

#273102 - 27/01/2006 08:41 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: robricc]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
It fell into a crater in Jersey City, NJ which cracked the oil pan and engine block.

Ouch!!!

I think the potholes in NJ explain why you don't get any Smart cars there - they would just disappear in the potholes!

#273103 - 27/01/2006 13:59 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: robricc]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
It fell into a crater in Jersey City, NJ which cracked the oil pan and engine block.

Yikes! A pothole that swallowed a Trooper??
Sorry to hear about that! Is such a loss fairly common out there?

You'd think that you shouldn't have to outfit your SUV for city driving! Maybe a belly-pan would be a wise investment.

#273104 - 27/01/2006 19:35 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: Robotic]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You'd think that you shouldn't have to outfit your SUV for city driving! Maybe a belly-pan would be a wise investment.

I remember the car having a skid plate when I was working on it from up top. A couple screws dropped between it and the drivetrain. When it was being pulled onto the flatbed, I didn't see one. Hopefully it flew off at some point and my mechanic didn't just neglect to put it back on after the last service.

Quote:
Yikes! A pothole that swallowed a Trooper??

The entire truck went into it. It was filled with water on a rainy day, so it wasn't very easy to see. I wouldn't expect the depth to have been what it was anyway. I hit it hard... real hard.

Quote:
Sorry to hear about that! Is such a loss fairly common out there?

Jersey City is a total shithole and the entire state of NJ isn't much better. This is the 2nd time a car of mine has been disabled by poor Jersey City road maintenance. Here's a map to illustrate how far I live from Jersey City. For something like this to have happened to me twice in that town is crazy. No, I don't work anywhere near Jersey City either.

#273105 - 27/01/2006 20:41 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: robricc]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Having gone to college in Hoboken, I understand!!!

#273106 - 28/01/2006 17:51 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: robricc]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
That is terrible in so many ways. Not speaking from experience, I can only assume it will be impossible to get compensation from the city for your damage. Well..... If you put up a good fight, you may get a "special call" to work some off-the-record deal to settle the matter. Unfortunately, I can't think of any lawyer who'd want to help you put up a fight against Jersey City.

At least you're not trying to fight Newark.

#273107 - 28/01/2006 22:23 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: FireFox31]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Quote:
I can only assume it will be impossible to get compensation from the city for your damage. Well..... If you put up a good fight, you may get a "special call" to work some off-the-record deal to settle the matter. Unfortunately, I can't think of any lawyer who'd want to help you put up a fight against Jersey City.

A friend of mine successfully got Berkeley, CA to pay for some parts for his Mustang (tire and rim maybe, its been a while) that where damaged by a pothole a few years back. I remember it sounding like a huge PITA to actually get them to do it and I was surprised that he had any success. I think there was some negligence involved, like the pothole had been there for months or something, that probably helped his case.

-Mike

#273108 - 28/01/2006 23:07 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: mcomb]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I think there was some negligence involved, like the pothole had been there for months or something, that probably helped his case.

Some googling seems to indicate that if the municipality has been informed ahead of time in writing that the pothole exists, then you can get them to pay for your damages. I think. Not sure. Didn't read in detail.

#273109 - 29/01/2006 01:29 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: robricc]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
t fell into a crater in Jersey City, NJ which cracked the oil pan and engine block.

Have you thought about perhaps repairing the damage? What would a new engine from a wrecking yard set you back?

tanstaafl.

#273110 - 29/01/2006 04:43 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: tanstaafl.]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Have you thought about perhaps repairing the damage? What would a new engine from a wrecking yard set you back?

Engine with similar mileage looks to be about $1,000 and installation would be $2,000 for a shop to do. I could do it with friends, but it would probably take forever (due to scheduling and laziness).

I paid $6,300 for the truck and Geico is giving me $8,000 plus $1,400 for repairs I did less than a month ago. I should be making out depending on how much my premiums go up. I have been re-thinking my car situation since this incident and I don't think I need a 4th car at this time. It's just that the SVX has some bugs to be worked out. Once that's fixed, I should be good for a while. Once the SVX hit 160,000 miles all hell started to break loose and it hasn't been driven in the past 2 months or so due to unknown high cooling system pressure.

The empeg was taken out this morning. Monday is when the truck is being towed. It's actually funny that it got killed so quickly because it was nothing but a pain in the ass. Mechanically it worked great and was a great car for the price. The scumbag dealer I bought it from decided to sell it to me without a title in-hand. Normally, I would think this was a bad idea to take the car without possession of the title, but this was a very large dealer in Philadelphia with multiple locations. I was told the title was at their main office and would be mailed to me. I didn't have the title after 4 weeks and was getting angry when I was getting the runaround on the phone. Finally the owner got back to me after I filed a complaint with the BBB and the dork starts threatening me with a lawsuit! UH HUH! So, I had to hire a lawyer to get a title out of a licensed used car dealer. Of course, this took weeks and the temp tags expired. I finally get the car on the road again, and a couple weeks later I'm freezing my balls off on the NY State Thruway waiting for a flatbed to show up when the engine blows.

I hope they crush that effing car.

#273111 - 31/01/2006 20:39 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: robricc]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Rob,
Regarding the SVX "unknown high cooling system pressure.", may I ask if you've had the radiator cap replaced and had a Subaru tech drain/refill the system? (If yes, please ignore the rest).

The reason I ask is that I thought I had cooling problems on my old Forester which turned out to be a worn out cap and then air left in the system (which led to erratic temperature spikes). Subaru cooling systems require a special tool to top off once you've opened the primary radiator cap.

I thought I was losing a head gasket, but it was just a bad cap and the resulting air in the system (which got there when the overflow tank went dry).

-Zeke

#273112 - 31/01/2006 22:37 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: Ezekiel]
robricc
carpal tunnel

This is excellent to know. The car was overheating about 8 months ago. I replaced the radiator cap with a Subaru OEM one and replaced the thermostat myself at that point. When the overheating was still happening, I noticed a bit of white smoke coming from the passenger-side cylinder bank. I have a friend that runs a shop that services a lot of Subarus including his own SVX and Baja. I had him do the head gaskets, water pump, other miscellanea, and fashion me a custom exhaust. The car worked great for about 2 months after that until one day, the coolant temp went from normal to red within 2 seconds and the top radiator hose came off. The clamp was brand new and looked fine, so I reattached it on the side of the road and about a 1/2-mile down the road the coolant temp surged again popping off the hose. I had the car towed home and has been sitting in my driveway ever since.

My friend offered to correct the issue for nothing. The only problem is that his shop is about 3 hours away on the border of CT and RI. I was thinking of towing the car up there this weekend with a Uhaul. The cost for the truck and trailer would come out to over $300 one-way. Maybe I should ask the Subaru dealer tomorrow if they can do a service on the cooling system first. They're right down the road and I think the car would make it that far. What do you think?

The problem is I think that dealer is a total bunch of scum bags after dealing with them twice with my Saab under warranty. There is a Subbie dealer I like and trust, but the car would have to be towed there. Also, I only have 1 tow left this year until AAA tell me to get lost. I would like to keep it for an occasion when I really need it because with my luck, something else will be getting towed soon.

#273113 - 01/02/2006 04:44 Re: 1998 Isuzu Trooper with empeg and XM [Re: robricc]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
... Also, I only have 1 tow left this year until AAA tell me to get lost. I would like to keep it for an occasion when I really need it because with my luck, something else will be getting towed soon.

Are you already upgraded to Gold? If not, the upgrade shouldn't cost you more than a tow, anyway.
As for the dealers- if it were me, I'd steer clear of the one that left a bad taste in my mouth- even if it meant a costly tow.
First there's the principle involved, then the cost of that bad taste.
Good luck- hope things work out!