Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#276613 - 02/03/2006 04:39 Re: new Intel-based Mac Mini [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Something in the back of my mind is tickling me, telling me that the built-in Mac DVD player software will simply play the VOBs off the hard disk just fine.

That is true. I was more thinking of an easy way to do this from a HTPC usage of the Mini with only a remote, since VOBs can't be put into iTunes directly for Front Row to see it.

#276614 - 02/03/2006 12:57 Re: new Intel-based Mac Mini [Re: matthew_k]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
If you want to keep all the menus on your DVDs, then it's much cheaper to buy a 400-disc changer than it is to buy hard drives and take the time to rip all your discs. Of course on the Mac I don't think there are any solutions for controlling the external changer right now. I know the former Slink-e hardware does it, but the only Mac software I've seen for it supports music only.

I suppose you'll have to wait until some much better software is relesed for the Mac... But that's all I'm saying.

Bruno

#276615 - 02/03/2006 15:05 Re: new Intel-based Mac Mini [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Quote:
But that's all I'm saying.

... and when might you be saying more?

Anyway, here's the other question I've got with respect to the new Mac Mini. First some background: my father would really like some kind of videoconferencing setup so he can see my daughter more often. My mom would probably like that as well, but she's not a computer user. (I email pictures to my dad who shows them to my mom.) Dad has finally gotten himself DSL and wireless, which he uses with his WinXP laptop, on which he also keeps his modest collection of ripped music in iTunes. Also, Dad recently got a shiny Sharp Aquos 45" LCD. It's very purty. He's opposed to spending big bucks on a home theater PC, but the lure of video conferencing with his granddaughter is certainly a draw.

The obvious answer to his problem is one of these Mac Mini's. Presumably, since it's just a Mac, I could even SSH new pictures in and notify FrontRow or iPhoto to add them to the rotation. Likewise, an Apple iSight would see like the least painful way of doing a videoconferencing solution. The Bluetooth keyboard mouse would also work well in front of the TV.

Questions: would a low-ball Mac Mini do the job, or does he need the bigger hard disk, more RAM, dual core, and so forth? How about an equivalent small form factor PC? Assume that high performance 3D graphics is irrelevant, but that video decoding is key. What's the current state of "equivalent" PCs? What's the state of the world for videoconferencing? Are any of these things user-friendly to the point that my mom might be able to figure them out?

#276616 - 02/03/2006 15:24 Re: new Intel-based Mac Mini [Re: DWallach]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
some kind of videoconferencing setup

Try Skype 2.0. Works really well with my Logitech Quickcam Fusion. I talk to my brother overseas quite frequently on it.

#276617 - 02/03/2006 16:28 Re: new Intel-based Mac Mini [Re: DWallach]
tman
carpal tunnel

You can do video conferencing fairly easily in iChat together with an iSight. The picture quality from an iSight is better than most webcams because of the auto focus.

#276618 - 02/03/2006 18:45 Re: new Intel-based Mac Mini [Re: drakino]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Quote:

I'm curious to see pictures of the insides....If the Mini also uses a socket...

See here for the answer

Cheers

Cris.

#276619 - 02/03/2006 23:02 Re: new Intel-based Mac Mini [Re: matthew_k]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
If you've still got time, return it. Unless it was BTO in which case you're out of luck.

Matthew

Yeah, it can't hurt to ask. I got the mid-level PPC Mini which is the same price as one with a single Intel processor. It looks I'm going to lose 20 gigs on the HD and gain a remote, 2 usb ports, a line-in jack, gigabit ethernet, and the Intel processor.

#276620 - 05/03/2006 06:12 Re: new Intel-based Mac Mini [Re: Cris]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
So I went to the Apple store in Manchester yesterday. Had a go on all the new intel machines and the new iPod HiFi (Total waste of money, bass is boomy and distorted!).

Overall I was impressed, in relation to the new macmini the new dual intel was much faster than my current G4 1.42. All the worries about the intel gfx are unfounded, the output is sharp and slick, desktop ripples are very very smooth and scrolling through an iPhoto library is much much slicker than on my current machine.

The machine does tend to hang during some operations, this seems to be until the program is fully loaded into memory, so for example opening and then closing iPhoto the first time takes an age (it took about a minute to exit) but then opening an closing gets faster each time, I repeated this with other apps and saw the same results. It is something I have never noticed on my G4. I assume it will be sorted with future updates?

I am going to get one of these new machines, they are faster in general use than the old G4's. It was a top of the line machine though

Cheers

Cris.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2