Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#277557 - 13/03/2006 20:24 2006 Acura TSX install
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

Loc: Dover, NJ
Currently a work in progress....
(and excuse my camera phone)

Just wait until I get pics of the modified dock/connector for this install. Some of you may cry and wonder what I could possibly be thinking.

- Chris

#277558 - 13/03/2006 23:11 Re: 2006 Acura TSX install [Re: cwillenbrock]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Currently a work in progress....

I see one problem with the install, but I don't think there is any way you could have done it differently given the layout of your center console.

You will find that with the empeg mounted that low, the fascia will prevent you from seeing the top line of the display, and you will find it is a long reach down to the volume control knob.

So far, though, it looks good.

tanstaafl.

#277559 - 14/03/2006 02:19 Re: 2006 Acura TSX install [Re: tanstaafl.]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Quote:
... and you will find it is a long reach down to the volume control knob.

In my last car I loved having my empeg mounted low. I typically rest my hand on the shifter, so it was just a small movement to the buttons. In my new car I actually have to reach!

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#277560 - 14/03/2006 02:22 Re: 2006 Acura TSX install [Re: tanstaafl.]
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

Actually it turns out just fine. I can see the entire display. I'm not sure if the pictures give false impressions of the position of things, but there's nothing close to that kind of a problem where the top line is concerned.

This makes me very happy

It is a little bit of a long way to the volume knob, but luckily this will have a much more limited impact on me...since I'm running RCA out to aux input on my factory stereo. I leave the empeg volume set at 0 and control volume with factory unit.

This is working out *so* much nicer than the install in my previous car (2000 Maxima). I am very excited about it. It's like getting a new empeg all over again (well, partly because there's a wonderful new toy wrapped around the empeg as well).

I just about finished it tonight. Once I get back to the office and find a pair of RJ-45 crimpers, I'll be able to knock out the last step and snap the center console back in place. I should have final pr0n up sometime tomorrow.

- Chris

#277561 - 14/03/2006 18:54 Re: 2006 Acura TSX install [Re: cwillenbrock]
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

Install is finished, and I am full of glee.

This is from driver's perspective...

Closer....

Center console storage bin, where I routed audio and ethernet cables...

With console bin mat in place, and empeg audio cable plugged into car's factory aux port....

#277562 - 15/03/2006 05:43 Re: 2006 Acura TSX install [Re: cwillenbrock]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Ah, very clean looking install. Well done!

#277563 - 15/03/2006 09:58 Re: 2006 Acura TSX install [Re: cwillenbrock]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
That really looks great!!! Good work!

#277564 - 15/03/2006 11:23 Re: 2006 Acura TSX install [Re: pgrzelak]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Looks beautiful. Well done. Nice Empeg wrapper too.

#277565 - 18/03/2006 17:51 Re: 2006 Acura TSX install [Re: cwillenbrock]
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

And here are pictures of the dock I...uh...adjusted so that it could fit in the mounting brakets for the Acura install kit.

Going topless....

Connector Lite....

With mounting brackets attached...

#277566 - 19/03/2006 12:06 Re: 2006 Acura TSX install [Re: cwillenbrock]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
This is a good answer to the folks that say the empeg is not compatible with their new cars...all it takes is a bit of work and some ingenuity (and a spare sled.)

#277567 - 19/03/2006 16:09 Re: 2006 Acura TSX install [Re: cwillenbrock]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
It's great that you added an empeg to such an integrated stock headunit. The factory Aux In sure helped.

Did you have to fabricate the panel which surrounds the empeg? Did you have to cut the factory panel? Or was there some useless pocket that just happened to be 1 DIN sized?

My new car has a similar layout, so I'm curious to see how the low mounted empeg works out for you. Eye-catching visuals aren't so in-your-face, but the buttons sure are closer.

#277568 - 20/03/2006 14:53 Re: 2006 Acura TSX install [Re: JBjorgen]
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

Quote:
This is a good answer to the folks that say the empeg is not compatible with their new cars...all it takes is a bit of work and some ingenuity (and a spare sled.)

And a buddy with a MacGyver-like mind for engineering and a Dremel tool. The level of effort for this install with respect to modifying the docking sled was beyond what most install shops would do, I'd guess. I wouldn't call it a "good" answer to folks that say the empeg is not compatible with their new cars. I think it's a good answer for the lucky few with the resources and environment (the right car) to do it.

It helps that when I was car shopping, finding a model that was somewhat convenient for adding the Empeg was a priority. That's not always nearly as easy, depending on the cars people end up with.

#277569 - 20/03/2006 15:06 Re: 2006 Acura TSX install [Re: FireFox31]
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

Quote:
Did you have to fabricate the panel which surrounds the empeg? Did you have to cut the factory panel? Or was there some useless pocket that just happened to be 1 DIN sized?

There used to be a pocket there. I don't know how "happened to be" it was, because Acura will install an optional cassette deck or MP3CD player in the same spot.

The mounting brakets and surrounding panel are part of the installation kit that Acura uses to install the optional players. I got that kit from Acura parts department. It's not the perfect solution...obviously I had to modify the dock to fit within the installation kit, and there are small problems with the design of the panel for my application. There are gaps (hard to tell in pictures) on either side of the Empeg, and the panel is rounded against the Empeg's non-rounded fascia. It looks *mostly* clean, though...I could perhaps have someone fabricate something that works a little better with the Empeg design instead of the Acura player design, but I will probably just leave well-enough alone.

Quote:
My new car has a similar layout, so I'm curious to see how the low mounted empeg works out for you. Eye-catching visuals aren't so in-your-face, but the buttons sure are closer.

I don't really pay attention to the display when I'm driving (perhaps because I'm too enamored with my first new navigation system screen), and I've never been one for in-your-face eye-catching visuals. It works for me...normally I just leave the track info screen up, and I can see it well enough.

#277570 - 05/04/2006 01:49 Re: 2006 Acura TSX install [Re: cwillenbrock]
jpt
new poster

Awesome! My TSX gets delivered in two days and I've been trying to figure out what I'll need to do to get the empeg in. Do you think you could write up some slightly more detailed instructions for it? This will be my first DIY and in particular I'm worried about where to find wires in the TSX to connect to all the sled inputs... looks like you've reduced that problem to manageable size though!

Thanks for taking some of the mystery out of this one regardless

Jonathan
MkIIa #40104178, 22GB