Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#280935 - 01/05/2006 00:05 Ampache + tRio
bha
stranger

After running with tRio 0.1.7 and the Twonky upnp music server since Nov 2005, I decided it was time for a change. While not bad, there were several things that were just not working well (large lists seem to crash the player), and upnp just never gained support in the way I expected it would.

My requirements are:
1) Must be Linux based
2) Ability to manage 50k+ tracks (all legal, but keeping tight control of what my wife and children do is not easy!)
3) Mostly all MP3s and streaming content (both internally generated and from external sites)
4) Multiple users (4 person family, each with their own preferences), multiple devices (4 Rio DARs, 4 PCs used to play audio, several portable music players - no two generally in the same room)

One problem I have is a lack of discipline that results in the growth of various music collections on various PCs, and various software players - rather than everybody using the sames tools to access a unified library.

I put up the latest version of Ampache (http://www.ampache.org/) and I am impressed by the ease of use, features, and good support for many browsers and software players. Karl Vollmer and the team have done good work.

Dropping back to an earlier version of Ampache and with additional work from Jon Hodgson (http://www.jonq.com/jq/projects/ampachereceiver/) and Randy Perkins (http://www.randyperkins.com/computer_info/ampache/) I was able to use tRio (thanks again to Paul Noffke) configured to talk to the original ARM server. I also added the SSDP server Perl script (thanks Roger Lipscombe) with minor modification as my Rio DARs also identify themselves with "upnp:uuid:1D274DB1-F053-11d3-BF72-0050DA689B30".

This is not a bad setup on Linux:
> DHCP - core to my environment
> Apache - core to my environment
> MySQL - core to my environment
> tRio / riot - already running this
> NFS - already had this to support tRio
> Java - already has this to support tRio
> Ampache - easy to install and config
> SSDP.pl - easy to use

This gives me web control over my Rio DARs (requires Java), web access to my entire library with the ability to queue to software players and download music to load up portable players, and the ability to use playlists.

It's not perfect:
> It requires 2 web interfaces (tRio & Ampache)
> The ARM spoofing was developed in a way that is not consistent with the current design of Ampache
> Hence, don't have access to most current Ampache features
> I'd like to get rid of Java (both client and server) - hey, it's just my thing

If there is any interest I'd like to work getting full local support for the Rio DAR into the most current Ampache. That also will require rethinking the Rio DAR client software (riot? something else?).

#280936 - 01/05/2006 02:34 Re: Ampache + tRio [Re: bha]
caseyse

Loc: CA, USA
Quote:
my Rio DARs also identify themselves with "upnp:uuid:1D274DB1-F053-11d3-BF72-0050DA689B30".

That's interesting. I'm using 4 Rio branded receivers, and all use the standard B2F request/response. Are you using Dell units, or is that the tRio client using B30?

I also have the same setup, but couldn't get tRio working with the v.1.6 ARM settings. Once you had your Rio's working w. Ampache, was there any trick to introducing the tRio client?

Karl Vollmer recently indicated that he would build Rio support into Ampache, which would be very nice, as I like the new UI enhancements.

#280937 - 01/05/2006 02:59 Re: Ampache + tRio [Re: caseyse]
bha
stranger

I have an original Dell, 2 rebranded Dell Sonic|blue, and one Rio. And I have loaded various versions of the riot client software, and the original mercury v.1 SW. I didn't pay close attention to which had the new code (could be HW, could be SW) because it was really easy to edit ssdp.pl to log the request, which made it easy to see and correct the problem. If it's important I can go back and isolate which device HW / SW does what.

I edited my trio.xml to set the application player line to:
menu-server="arm"
content-server="arm"

Nothing else was changed. Previously, with v0.1.6 I was running jrec, so the trio.xml file was working.

It's easy to verify the ARM server (or Ampache with ARM spoofing) is working. Just enter a query like this into your web browser (insert your IPaddress and Port):

http://IPaddress:Port/query?artist=

I saw the post that indicated Rio support may be included, and looking at the daily builds they are clearly working on supporting other devices. But it does not appear there is much interest in the Rio DAR - or at least my reason for posting is to try and flush out that interest (if it exists).

#280938 - 01/05/2006 06:58 Re: Ampache + tRio [Re: bha]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
But it does not appear there is much interest in the Rio DAR - or at least my reason for posting is to try and flush out that interest (if it exists).

Well, count me in the "very interested" column.

#280939 - 02/05/2006 06:59 Re: Ampache + tRio [Re: bha]
vince
stranger

Loc: UK
Quote:
But it does not appear there is much interest in the Rio DAR - or at least my reason for posting is to try and flush out that interest (if it exists).

I would like to move away from Jrec, I have 3 Dells and 2 Rios

#280940 - 10/06/2006 21:29 Re: Ampache + tRio [Re: vince]
gerald_clark
new poster

Loc: IL, U.S.A.
I upgraded my server to Fedora Core 5 and had problems with JReceiver,

I am now using trio 0.1.6 with Ampache + AmpacheReceiver.
It is working very well.

#280941 - 11/06/2006 07:12 Re: Ampache + tRio [Re: gerald_clark]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
What version of Ampache?

#280942 - 11/06/2006 22:05 Re: Ampache + tRio [Re: julf]
gerald_clark
new poster

Loc: IL, U.S.A.
I am running ampache 3.3.1.7
ampachereceiver11
MySQL 5.0.21 ( I was using an older version. )
trio 0.1.6
j2rel.4.2_07
upnpd
If you are currently running trio and Jreceiver your java and MySLQ should be fine.

In the trio.xml I used:

<application name="player" title="Player" scope="global" class="trio.player.TRioPlayerApp" menu-server="ampache" content-server="ampache" send-method="multicast" broadcast-address="255.255.255.255" multicast-address="230.0.0.1" multicast-ttl="1">

<server name="ampache" title="Audio Receiver Manager" descr="Original software supplied with Rio Receivers" class="trio.player.TRioPlayerARMServer" url=""/>

I extracted the ampache directory to /mnt/music/server/Ampache, so in apache httpd.conf I added:

Listen 8080
<VirtualHost *:8080>
Alias /ampache "/mnt/music/server/Ampache/ampache"
Alias /layout/ "/mnt/music/server/Ampache/ampache/docs/rio/layout"
Alias /query "/mnt/music/server/Ampache/ampache/docs/rio/rio.php"
Alias /results "/mnt/music/server/Ampache/ampache/docs/rio/rio.php"
AliasMatch ^/content/ "/mnt/music/server/Ampache/ampache/docs/rio/rio.php"
AliasMatch ^/favourites/ "/mnt/music/server/Ampache/ampache/docs/rio/rio.php"
AliasMatch ^/list/ "/mnt/music/server/Ampache/ampache/docs/rio/rio.php"
AliasMatch ^/tags/ "/mnt/music/server/Ampache/ampache/docs/rio/rio.php"
</VirtualHost>

Edited by gerald_clark (11/06/2006 22:18)

#280943 - 12/06/2006 00:24 Re: Ampache + tRio [Re: gerald_clark]
caseyse

Loc: CA, USA
I've really enjoyed ampache. It's a shame JReceiver is EOL'ed, and although alpha, it 'served' me well for several years. It just became too challenging keeping it running while keeping my system software current. Ampache has a better interface, and a much larger following, so hopefully development will continue.

#280944 - 06/07/2006 12:59 Re: Ampache + tRio [Re: caseyse]
Bane
stranger

Would someone email me the ampachereceiver file? jonq's website seems to no longer function. [email protected]

thanks

#280945 - 26/07/2006 23:51 Re: Ampache + tRio [Re: caseyse]
plympton
new poster

Quote:
I've really enjoyed ampache. It's a shame JReceiver is EOL'ed, and although alpha, it 'served' me well for several years. It just became too challenging keeping it running while keeping my system software current. Ampache has a better interface, and a much larger following, so hopefully development will continue.

Hmm.. now that VMWARE server is free, perhaps we should cook together a virtual machine that'll run it minimal standalone... hmm... gives me an idea!

-Dan