Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#280989 - 01/05/2006 13:47 Blown capacitors
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Dammit.

While Jen's away for the weekend, I thought that I'd finally get off my backside and fix my MythTV box, which hasn't been working since a Debian/unstable upgrade broke it about 4 months ago.

I decided to replace the hard disk, because the kernel keeps reporting the occasional error. Fortunately, I've got several spare hard disks of various capacities lying around. I grab a spare 200Gb disk from stock, and prepare to open the case.

This requires about thirty minutes of searching for the little plastic tool that opens the case -- it's a Hush ITX box. Apparently, when I put it together the first time, I thought ahead, and stashed it in the box that the PVR card came in, so I'd know where to find it the next time.

Didn't remember doing that, though.

So, I get the lid off and start taking the PVR card out, so that I can get at the hard disk, which is a delicate operation because the space for PCI cards is a bit cramped in there.

As I lift it out, I notice a faint hissing noise...

One of the capacitors on the PVR card has gone pop, and all the electrolyte has come out.

Dammit.

And, while researching the problem, I decided to inspect the other capacitors on the motherboard, while I've got the lid off. At least 4 of the capacitors on the motherboard appear to have gone as well.

Great.

Edited by Roger (01/05/2006 15:40)

#280990 - 01/05/2006 21:45 Re: Blown capacitors [Re: Roger]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I don't think that's too unusual of a problem at least they are big and shouldn't be too hard to replace.

Though for what Hush charges they should do it for free.

Matt

#280991 - 02/05/2006 04:30 Re: Blown capacitors [Re: msaeger]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Though for what Hush charges they should do it for free.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Unfortunately, it's 14 months old, so it's probably just out of warranty. Typical.

I've sent an email to Hush support, so I'll see what they say.

Next best case, I'll drop the box off with Hugo, and hopefully he'll be able to fix it...

Worst case, a replacement Mini-ITX board with CPU is only about £150. Assuming it'll mate with the heat pipe assembly correctly.

#280992 - 02/05/2006 04:30 Re: Blown capacitors [Re: Roger]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
Edit: Oh, that was silly, didn't see the 'researching' linked to the same site

Edited by Schido (02/05/2006 11:30)
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#280993 - 02/05/2006 22:16 Re: Blown capacitors [Re: Roger]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
I had EPoX replace a motherboard (and soon to be a second) which had leaking capacitors. The boards are three years old, out of warranty (kind of). Of course, they had a widely known problem with this batch of motherboards. Maybe Hush did too, and will replace it because they know you could criticize them on every forum and blog that you know of. Ah, the power of the Internet.

#280994 - 03/05/2006 05:02 Re: Blown capacitors [Re: FireFox31]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Maybe Hush did too, and will replace it because they know you could criticize them on every forum and blog that you know of.

If they ever respond to my email, that is... I'll try calling them today.