Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#282936 - 10/06/2006 07:16 which language is better if i want to make network program??
Vimone
new poster

Maybe some day in the future I'll be a programer in the network ffield yet I know a litte about programing.
Now I can use C,C# and Visual Basic ,but I really have no idea which is better for my job in the future.
can somebody tell me?Thank you very much.

Edited by Vimone (10/06/2006 07:22)

#282937 - 10/06/2006 11:53 Re: which language is better if i want to make network program?? [Re: Vimone]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Learn them ALL. You also left C++ out of the list.

#282938 - 10/06/2006 16:09 Re: which language is better if i want to make network program?? [Re: Vimone]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
The easy answer to tell you which one isn't well suited to network work. Assuming you mean Visual Basic and not VB.NET then it is the one in your list that you really don't want to be doing network stuff with if you can avoid it.

As to which is best of the rest, it really depends on what you are doing. C# and C++ will be more suited to higher level work (like HTTP etc). C is more naturally suited to lower level stuff like raw packets.

But if you haven't done and programming before, then first you need to learn how to program...

Of that selection of languages, I would recommend C# as the best one to learn to program. It is no harder to learn the basics of C# than something like Visual Basic.

#282939 - 11/06/2006 07:10 Re: which language is better if i want to make network program?? [Re: Vimone]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Now I can use C,C# and Visual Basic ,but I really have no idea which is better for my job in the future.

With C# you are pretty much stuck with MS Windows, while C and C++ are portable. But if you are considering VB (Dont!), you should definitely have a look at python.

#282940 - 11/06/2006 08:18 Re: which language is better if i want to make network program?? [Re: julf]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
With C# you are pretty much stuck with MS Windows...

There is Mono, for all your cross platform C# needs, no?

#282941 - 11/06/2006 08:55 Re: which language is better if i want to make network program?? [Re: sein]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
With C# you are pretty much stuck with MS Windows...

There certainly is and it works well, for non-UI stuff at least. I took all my backend C# code from a five month Windows project and it ran perfectly under Mono on OS X. The code had plenty of file IO, XML mangling and HTTP calls which all worked on OS X without even having to recompile.

They are also making good progress on the WinForms side of things now, so my Windows UI code would probably also work on OS X now (though I haven't tried it).

#282942 - 11/06/2006 16:24 Re: which language is better if i want to make network program?? [Re: sein]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:

Indeed, but the fact that there happens to be an emulation environment available doesn't make C# portable - just like the fact that OpenOffice etc. are (mostly) able to read MS Office docs doesn't make the MS Office doc format portable.

If MS changes something in the C# environment, Mono can break. Yes, I am sure it will be fixed, but there might be a time delay that could cost you your business...

#282943 - 11/06/2006 22:20 Re: which language is better if i want to make network program?? [Re: julf]
sein
old hand

Quote:
Indeed, but the fact that there happens to be an emulation environment available doesn't make C# portable - just like the fact that OpenOffice etc. are (mostly) able to read MS Office docs doesn't make the MS Office doc format portable.

I am not a programming expert, and don't know much about Mono, but I didn't think it was actually emulation. It is a clone of the C# compiler and framework. So the theory is you can compile an application with Mono for any of its supported systems and it would then run natively there. If an application works correctly under Mono, I would describe it as portable, by definition.

Quote:
If MS changes something in the C# environment, Mono can break. Yes, I am sure it will be fixed, but there might be a time delay that could cost you your business...

I cannot see Microsoft changing anything fundamental in C# which could break Mono. If they did, it would have to be a big change, and they would have to call it .NET 2.0 or something.... its all pie in the sky. Even if there was some language update that broke stuff, why would you have to use it straight away? A paradigm would be the Empeg - it runs Kernel 2.4.something. Not 2.6, because 2.4 works.

#282944 - 11/06/2006 22:29 Re: which language is better if i want to make network program?? [Re: sein]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:

I cannot see Microsoft changing anything fundamental in C# which could break Mono. If they did, it would have to be a big change, and they would have to call it .NET 2.0 or something.... its all pie in the sky. Even if there was some language update that broke stuff, why would you have to use it straight away?

They already have and .NET 2.0 already exists. Mono has already implemented some of the new stuff in 2.0, but it still has some gaps to fill.

If you use some 2.0 features at the moment they won't work on Mono.

Microsoft are busy working on the C# 3.0 now, which brings even more changes:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/future/

#282945 - 11/06/2006 22:32 Re: which language is better if i want to make network program?? [Re: andy]
sein
old hand

Quote:
They already have and .NET 2.0 already exists. Mono has already implemented some of the new stuff in 2.0, but it still has some gaps to fill.

If you use some 2.0 features at the moment they won't work on Mono.

Microsoft are busy working on the C# 3.0 now, which brings even more changes:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/future/

Ah, all very interesting!

#282946 - 12/06/2006 07:27 Re: which language is better if i want to make network program?? [Re: sein]
andy
carpal tunnel

I still don't "get" all those new features in C# 3.0. But then I didn't "get" how to use generics when they first appeared in C# 2.0, but once I worked out how to use them they became very powerful.

#282947 - 15/06/2006 17:33 Re: which language is better if i want to make network program?? [Re: sein]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Talking of Microsoft breaking stuff, there's loads of things that I've had to find work arounds for in the windows API.

The "theming" in XP doesn't work in certain sitations where you embed a dialog box inside another window, you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to make things draw correctly.

The best one I found though is in the listbox control, if you have a fixed item height one, then scrolling with the mouse wheel works correctly. If you have variable height items, then the initial "smooth scroll" when using the mouse wheel goes in the wrong direction, and once the smooth scroll is done the list redraws with the correct content and then scrolls in the right direction.

I had to subclass the listbox and write my own handler for the mouse wheel so that it worked correctly, because it's a really strange effect and kind of messes with your mind!

There's loads of others that I've found but can't remember off of the top of my head! The listbox problem exists in at least 2K and XP.

Adrian

#282948 - 01/07/2006 09:28 Re: which language is better if i want to make network program?? [Re: sn00p]
Vimone
new poster

I think I would choose Java, my job will welcome Java.
But thank you all the same.
Thank you!