Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#283963 - 04/07/2006 05:46 Camera Recommendation
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I have concluded that my Fuji Finepix 6900 is deficient in low-light capability and is too much of a battery hog.

What cameras should I consider for the following requirements:

Minimum 6x optical zoom; 10x or 12x would be better.

Enough light-gathering capability that I can shoot in, say, an office environment at f 4 or f 5.6 at 1/125 second.

Enough battery life that I can leave the camera on for an hour and take 100 pictures.

Auto focus and auto exposure, but able to override them manually.

Macro focusing.

Integrated strobe powerful enough to be useful at 20 feet.

Non-proprietary memory card and non-proprietary USB cable.

No fancy features, such as automatic three-stage bracketing with user definable exposure differentials, or movies, or custom color balance, or user-programmable exposure modes, etc. The Fuji has all of this, at the expense of a 130 page instruction manual and no fewer than 24 separate buttons, switches, knobs, rings, rockers, and controls on the exterior of the camera.

$500 or less would be nice. I have no objection to buying a used one.

Any ideas?

tanstaafl.

#283964 - 04/07/2006 10:07 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: tanstaafl.]
pedrohoon
enthusiast

Loc: The Pilbara, Western Australia
Off the top of my head, one of the Panasonic FZ series (FZ3, 5 or 7) has most of those criteria i.e. 12x zoom, fast f2.8 lens, good battery life, SD card for storage, auto with manual overrides for most things, macro etc.

However the flash is pretty weak on them, also the LCD/viewfinder does not 'gain up' in low light, except the FZ7.

Have a look here for the FZ3, or here for the FZ5, or here for the FZ7.

If you want a flash hotshoe you will have to go for the FZ10 upwards.

Build quality of the FZ10 is very good (I have one) so I assume the other FZs are well built too.

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best

#283965 - 04/07/2006 10:55 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: pedrohoon]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

For low-light shooting, there's some consensus that the recent Fuji cameras (notably, the Fuji F30) have excellent performance. The only way you're going to do better is to get a D-SLR. (Larger sensors == lower noise at high ISO.)

Photo trivia: every time you double your ISO, you also double your flash range. So, regardless of the camera, cranking up the ISO will give you more flash range. Flashes are rated in their "guide number", which equals the distance (in feet) times the f-stop at ISO 100. (Guide numbers are also reported for meters, for the rest of the world...). If you want more flash range, then you either want a wider aperture, or a higher film speed.

Inevitably, the real problem is that a flash can only get one target at the correct illumination. Anything closer gets blown out and anything farther away goes dark. The "real" answer, for indoor, nighttime shooting, is to shoot without a flash at all. This is where the high ISO can be a real winner. (Or, if you want to do indoor illumination properly, you need to either bounce light off the ceiling or have multiple 'slave' strobes. It gets complicated very quickly.)

#283966 - 04/07/2006 11:16 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: DWallach]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Flashes are rated in their "guide number", which equals the distance (in feet) times the f-stop at ISO 100. (Guide numbers are also reported for meters, for the rest of the world...). If you want more flash range, then you either want a wider aperture, or a higher film speed.

Nope. You lost me at "f-stop". Where's a good site for finding out what all this camera jargon means? I thought about buying a D-SLR for taking on honeymoon, but figured, since I didn't know how to use it, that I might as well stick with my Ixus 400.

#283967 - 04/07/2006 11:30 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: Roger]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

f-stop is the size of the aperture -- the hole in the back of the lens. Larger f-numbers imply smaller apertures. Unsurprisingly, the smaller the f-stop you want, the bigger your lens has to be to be able to gather all that light, and the more money you pay. The good thing about f-stop numbers is that they're totally standardized. If you took the same picture with 100 different lens with different magnifications but the same lighting, you'd be guaranteed to get the same exposure.

I assume there are some fine introductory books out there. I learned all the jargon through doing it rather than through reading anything in particular. The magic of any non-professional D-SLR is that they've got idiot modes, so you can gradually teach yourself what it's all about when and if you're going to be in a situation where it matters.

I only ever really had to figure out the f-stop thing when I had a manual-only Sunpak flash way back when. You had a knob you could twist to say how much power you wanted. They had a calculator wheel gizmo where you'd dial in your f-stop and/or film speed and it would tell you the distance that would be in proper exposure.

The place where most people worry about f-stop numbers is when trying to control depth of field. Smaller f-stop numbers yield less depth of field, getting that creamy out-of-focus blur of the background behind your subject. Also, longer lenses have shallower depth-of-field than shorter lenses, even at the same f-stop. This is part of the never-ending debate between cropped and "full-frame" sensors on D-SLRs.

#283968 - 04/07/2006 11:31 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: Roger]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

I thought about buying a D-SLR for taking on honeymoon, but figured, since I didn't know how to use it, that I might as well stick with my Ixus 400.

You can still get plenty of benefit from a DSLR even if you leave it on fully automatic to start with.

#283969 - 04/07/2006 12:04 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: Roger]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I don't have a web link to offer, but the long-time number-one learning guide is Photography, by Upton,Stone,London (and others, depending on the edition).

#283970 - 04/07/2006 12:12 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: mlord]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
This was the explanation of f-stops that finally allowed me to "get" it.

#283971 - 04/07/2006 12:31 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

For F-stops, the biggest hinderance to understanding is the somewhat obscure appearance of the numbering scale -- kinda like learning tennis without knowing that the scoring system was (apparently) derived from using the minutes-hand of an old fashioned clock for keeping track of the score (15 .. 30 .. 40 .. etc..).

With F-stops, the sequence is: 1, 1.4, 2.0, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22, ..

Which just happen to the be the (approximate) square-roots of successive powers of two, in hommage to the inverse-square rule for how light spreads out over distance.

[EDIT]
Oh, and the actual F-stop numbers are actually fractions (or ratios), with the above numbers on the bottom. So 1:1, 1:1.4, etc.. or 1/1, 1/1.4, etc..

So the biggest F-stop (widest lens opening) is f1, or 1:1 or 1/1. Near the other end of the scale is f22 (tiny pinhole of a lens opening), which is short for 1:22 or 1/22, which lets in only 1/512th the amount of light as f1 does (22 is approximately the square root of 512).
[/EDIT]

Cheers

Edited by mlord (04/07/2006 12:38)

#283972 - 05/07/2006 02:02 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: mlord]
TigerJimmy
old hand

And larger format cameras and view cameras often have f64 or f128.

The bigger the f number, the smaller the aperture opening, which means the more parallel the light entering the camera is. The more parallel the light, the longer the "depth of field", which means that the foreground and the background will both be in focus.

When you see a portrait with the background out of focus, this usually indicates a "wide open" aperture (low f number), resulting in a "shallow" depth of field.

The disadvantage of a big f-number (small opening)? You need more light since the cross-sectional area of the opening is smaller.

#283973 - 05/07/2006 08:08 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: TigerJimmy]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I have to admit that I don't really take any pictures in full manual mode, but on my Fuji 602 the "portrait" preset gives you a wide aperture and a shorter shutter speed, so you get that blurry background effect. It's really good, eg - http://public.fotki.com/altman/2002_the_album/california_2002/100_fujidscf0255.html

Problem is, my 602 takes such nice pictures I'm afraid of upgrading it because I'm worried I'll be disappointed. My Canon S70 (7MP vs 3 "real" MP of the 602, and with admittedly a much smaller lens) takes totally awful pictures in comparison - they just look blurry. Then again, I do have the waterproof case for it and have used it down to 30m taking pictures of whale sharks so it's good for something

I've been regularly tempted by the Panasonic FZ series - bigger zoom, very light, image stabilisation - but havn't quite taken the plunge yet. I'd like something that was fairly decent at big ISO numbers, but really can't be arsed to carry a full DSLR around. The 602's LCD eyepiece is just fine for me, and is, obviously, "through the lens" viewing. It's higher res than the LCD on the back, too.

tbh, the 602 seems to take pictures that compare well to many DSLRs - it's just nowhere near as flexible. That and it won't take any CF apart from a 1GB microdrive without corrupting the FAT on it, which is where it really shows its age. The VGA movie mode is still excellent, it was one of the first that could do this.

Hugo

#283974 - 07/07/2006 00:44 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: pedrohoon]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Panasonic FZ series (FZ3, 5 or 7)

Looks good -- except for the low-light capability (or lack thereof). DPReview complains quite strongly about noise at low light levels, going so far as to say that the really high ISO settings are "unusable." Their complaints applied to even the flagship FZ30.

My two biggest complaints with my Fuji are lack of low light capability and battery life. I'll need a solution to both of those issues before changing cameras.

Thanks for the links!

tanstaafl.

#283975 - 07/07/2006 04:36 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: tanstaafl.]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
Really sounds like you could use a D50 too.
ISO1600 is very usable, good built in flash.
And for really low light, you could get the 50/1.8 lens for about 99$ (i'm thinking about buying that one too, together with the 70-300g, allready have the 17-55 kit lens) or even the 50/1.4

The site where i learned most basic slr stuff:
http://photo.net/learn/making-photographs/light
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#283976 - 07/07/2006 04:51 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
DPReview complains quite strongly about noise at low light levels, going so far as to say that the really high ISO settings are "unusable."

I think noise at low light levels means the camera firmware is being allowed to "push" the low light sensitivity past what the CCD can realistically deliver well. A lot of my indoor non-flash photos on my Panasonic DMC-FX9 are quite grainy, but at least I'm getting *some* indoor non-flash photos, something I couldn't do at all with my small-size Canon cameras.

I've seen what a decent professional-grade DSLR can do in low light, and it's rather amazing. Nowhere near the noise that that review of the Panasonic FZ series is talking about. Of course, you then are talking about spending big bucks. And a large camera.

Didn't I bring up a thread with this very topic a while back, when I was in the market for a new compact digicam?

#283977 - 07/07/2006 11:44 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quick aside, Tony, what camera did you end up with? I just got a Canon SD630, and I adore it. I had a Canon G2, and never took it anywhere because it was too bulky. This one I'm carrying everywhere with me, the screen on the back is enormous (3"), and the startup time is unbelieveable (about 1.5 seconds). I know it's not a pro camera, but I want something portable that I can take anywhere.

#283978 - 07/07/2006 15:11 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: tfabris]
blitz
addict

Loc: Texas
"I think noise at low light levels means the camera firmware is being allowed to "push" the low light sensitivity past what the CCD can realistically deliver well."

That is true but also manufacturers also decide whether they are going to capture the image with noise or process the image in the camera for noise reduction. Some do and some don't. Typically, you are most concerned about noise during poor lighting conditions with action (movement of the subject). You can post process the images with noise reduction software that works well (much better than in camara noise processing) but it does reduce the detail some. I have never been as concerned about noise levels in action shots beause typically the action transcends the noise.

#283979 - 07/07/2006 17:57 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quick aside, Tony, what camera did you end up with? I just got a Canon SD630, and I adore it.

I bought a canon SD400, and its LCD broke. I found on the 'net that this is a common problem with the SD series, and when I tried to replace the screen I could see the design flaw that caused the problem. I attempted to repair the problem myself, and the camera wouldn't boot after I installed the new LCD. I did a whole thread on it.

I vowed never to buy another Canon again, and I now use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX9. Its image stabilization feature works great, and it allows me to take hand held low-light shots without a flash, albeit noisy ones.

It's only a hair bigger than the Canon was, and it's almost as fast as the Canon, but I like the stabilization. Has Canon put that feature into their tiny cameras yet? I might break my vow and go back to Canon some time if I can get the low light shots with one. I really liked the Canon's features and speed.

#283980 - 07/07/2006 18:05 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: tfabris]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Theres a Canon Ixus 800 with image stabilization. Looks very nice too but only 6MP. Linky

I have the Ixus 500 and my dad has the Ixus 700 - lovely photos and no problems at all.

Not sure what these models are called in the US.

#283981 - 07/07/2006 18:06 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I just looked and DPReview says the SD700 also has image stabilization. Interesting! I'll have to check that model out.

Edit: Darn that whole naming thing. The Ixus 800 and the SD 700 are the same camera.

Edit 2: HEEE. They had to make the Canon bigger to fit the image stabilization and the 4x zoom. The SD 700 is the same size as my Lumix in thickness and height.

#283982 - 07/07/2006 18:09 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: tfabris]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

So your SD400 is the Ixus 500? What was the flaw that causes the LCD to break? Should I be extra careful with mine?

#283983 - 07/07/2006 18:22 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
So your SD400 is the Ixus 500? What was the flaw that causes the LCD to break? Should I be extra careful with mine?

I take that back. I didn't have an SD400, I had an SD200.

According to DPreview, the Ixus 500 and Powershot S 500 are the same camera. I think both of those cameras, as well as the SD 500, are part of the same line and might very well all have the same design flaw. Here is a thread about it..

Yes, I think you should be extra careful. Don't drop your camera, even if it's inside a padded bag or inside the pouch on your empeg bag, as mine was. The empeg survived the drop, the camera didn't.

Ooo: One thing I forgot to mention about the difference between the Canon cameras and my Panasonic Lumix DMC FX9: The Lumix has amazingly good battery life, and all the Canons required carrying a second battery and a swap-out mid-day. The Panasonic Lumix's battery lasts multiple weekends for me.

#283984 - 07/07/2006 23:46 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Wow, all that stuff about the broken screen is scary, especially since the SD630 has what has to be one of the largest screens I've ever seen on a camera. Still, I'm keeping it pretty secure. It's being held in my old Treo 600 belt case, and never hold it without the wrist strap on. Given what you've said about the screens on the SD series, I'm amazed that Canon doesn't really have cases for the camera. It certainly doesn't come with one, which I find surprising. Oh well, I'm going to enjoy it. I still love the camera. The only two things I don't like are the need to remove the battery to charge, and the fact that it doesn't act as a mass storage device (which really bugs me). I would love to connect the camera directly to my PMP, which has USB host, and transfer files for backup, but I can't.

#283985 - 08/07/2006 00:10 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
TLooks very nice too but only 6MP.

Whatdaymean "only" 6MP ?????????

That's plenty of resolution, so long as the rest of the camera is up to it.

My best (framed) photos are still the ones from my 3mp camera.

Speaking of which, I'm in the valley much of next week. Anyone up for a geek activity or two?

Cheers

#283986 - 08/07/2006 01:03 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: mlord]
eliceo
enthusiast

I cant decide between the panasonic fz7 and canon s2 / s3.
That is all.

#283987 - 08/07/2006 02:36 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: eliceo]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Happy b-day eliceo and Katamari rocks

Matt

#283988 - 08/07/2006 06:47 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: mlord]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Me too (the next two weeks, in fact). Definitely up for some geek activity, or at the very least some beer!

Hugo

#283989 - 08/07/2006 11:47 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: mlord]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Speaking of which, I'm in the valley much of next week. Anyone up for a geek activity or two?

Elaine and I just got to SF (late) last night, heading up north and then Napa on Monday, but passing SF on our way back down on Thursday (planning on staying Thursday night in Santa Cruz).

#283990 - 08/07/2006 12:37 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: mlord]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
Quote:

That's plenty of resolution, so long as the rest of the camera is up to it

Agreed. This large canvas print of one of my photos was taken on a 4MP Canon D400

#283991 - 08/07/2006 15:14 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: mlord]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:

That's plenty of resolution, so long as the rest of the camera is up to it.

Totally. The following is a magazine cover that I took with a Canon Ixus V2 (2MP Pocket Cam). It printed amazingly well at A4 size (though it has to be said I wouldn't want to see it bigger). There are a few others too, but I found the PDF for this one. It is scaled down to about 20% or so.

Here is another image unscaled from that little 2MP camera. This is something I caught with my Canon G2 on macro, at 4MP.

Attachments
284460-01-cover.jpg (138 downloads)

#283992 - 08/07/2006 16:41 Re: Camera Recommendation [Re: sein]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I'll chime in here and agree. I've printed 4MP images at 12x18" (around 150dpi) and they look fantastic. Furthermore, when you see a beautiful image on your computer monitor, you're probably only looking at 105dpi.

Sure, if you stick your nose directly into a print (or your monitor), you'll see the pixels, but from any normal viewing distance, these prints look just fine. What extra resolution is really good for is either huge enlargements (i.e., wall-sized prints) or allowing you to radically crop down an image and still have something useful.

If you gave me a choice of a 12MP camera that gave 10 bits per pixel of useful signal (i.e., you could push it two stops, after which you just got noise), versus a 6MP camera that gave 14 bits per pixel (i.e., an exposure range from ISO100 through ISO6400), I'd take the latter in a flash. (Somewhat ironically, the present high-ISO leading camera is the Canon 5D, which is both excellent at high ISO and is 12MP.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >