Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#291812 - 28/12/2006 23:33 My Karma is falling apart
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
My Karma looks like the attached picture,

Is there a way to fix this properly, or should I just put a bunch of epoxy in there and clamp it together until it dries?

And on a different (but related) topic: what is the procedure for having a picture appear in the post itself rather than just as an attachment?

tanstaafl.

Attachments
292514-Karma.jpg (835 downloads)

Edited by tanstaafl. (28/12/2006 23:39)

#291813 - 29/12/2006 06:13 Re: My Karma is falling apart [Re: tanstaafl.]
StigOE
addict

Like this?

Use the full address inside [img]-tags. For this picture it will be Code:
[img]http://empegbbs.com/files/292514-Karma.jpg[/img]

Stig

Edited by StigOE (29/12/2006 06:16)

#291814 - 29/12/2006 06:20 Re: My Karma is falling apart [Re: tanstaafl.]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Have the plastic tabs broken? It should snap back together.

If you want to be sure, here are Karma disassembly instructions.

#291815 - 29/12/2006 14:16 Re: My Karma is falling apart [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
what is the procedure for having a picture appear in the post itself rather than just as an attachment?

Although I know you already know how to use the IMG tag, the trick (the part you're missing, I'll bet) is this:

Don't rightclick on the ATTACHMENT link and try to copy that into the IMG tag. That's just a link to the stub page that eventually loads the image. That won't work in an IMG tag. That's probably where you were going wrong.

Instead, open the attachment link fully in a new window. Once it's done loading, you'll notice that the URL in the address box has changed to the correct path pointing to the JPG file. NOW that the address has been fully updated with an actual file link, you can copy that to the clipboard and go back and paste THAT into the IMG tag.

#291816 - 29/12/2006 22:27 Re: My Karma is falling apart [Re: JBjorgen]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Have the plastic tabs broken? It should snap back together.

I suspect they have. I can squeeze it back together, and it almost snaps back together, but always opens back up again.

I guess it's time for the epoxy. Just hope I never have to actually open it up after that!

tanstaafl.

#291817 - 30/12/2006 08:17 Re: My Karma is falling apart [Re: tanstaafl.]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
I suspect they have. I can squeeze it back together, and it almost snaps back together, but always opens back up again.

Did you drop it, or did this happen spontaneously? A small proportion of Karmas suffered from steadily-swelling batteries, and although this usually squishes the hard disk before it pops the case open, it depends exactly where on the battery the swelling occurs. If you can get the whole back off, examine the battery: if its flat sides aren't completely flat, you should stop using it and get another one (i.e. a replacement battery if possible, otherwise a replacement Karma).

We've never heard of a bulging battery actually bursting, but if one ever did it could cause a nasty explosion and fire. They aren't supposed to explode, but then they weren't supposed to swell either.

Peter

#291818 - 31/12/2006 00:06 Re: My Karma is falling apart [Re: peter]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Did you drop it, or did this happen spontaneously? A small proportion of Karmas suffered from steadily-swelling batteries, and although this usually squishes the hard disk before it pops the case open, it depends exactly where on the battery the swelling occurs.

It has never been dropped, proven by the fact that the rotator wheel is still intact, and as everybody knows, any dropped Karma always lands on that wheel!

The case does not feel like there is anything pushing it open. It pushes completely shut with no notable resistance. It just won't stay pushed shut.

I hope that word of potentially explosive batteries doesn't get out, otherwise people won't be able to take them on airplanes. Uhhhh... check your records, did anybody named Osama buy one of these things?

tanstaafl.