Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#294099 - 21/02/2007 20:46 Buying a new car . . .
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
So I've driven a Mustang for the last 8 years and have loved it, despite being the underpowered V6. It's just a fun car and wasn't that expensive.

But now it's time for a new car. I am commuting 1hr+ two ways everyday and my current car is getting a little old. Plus it's a manual transmission, and as fun as it is, sitting in rush hour traffic twice a day really is much easier to handle with an automatic.

Because I've enjoyed my current car so much, the obvious move for me is the new mustang- I love the new look. I am comfortable with the 30K-35K price a new V8 will cost me (and I'm considering the convertable). I've test driven a cow-orker's new Mustang and it was a lot of fun. In fact, the silly reason I'm even considering buying something else is because two of the developers on our ten person team already have new Mustangs, and it just sort of seems a little lame to buy the same car everyone else has (especially only a month after my teammate bought his). Probably that won't be enough to stop me, but I started wondering what else might be out there. I've looked at a couple web sites to see what is out there (since I don't see car commercials anymore I am hoplessly oblivious to what cars are out right now), but haven't really seen anything that even remotely interests me. Then I figured maybe someone here might have some thoughts about what is available in my price range. So any thoughts? I don't really need a family car, but I'm not stuck on a sports car either. I just want something fun to drive if I'm going to spent 2.5 hours in it every day.

Also, one thing that I like about the new Mustang is an aux in in the console that I can plug my Karma into, which pretty much eliminates the need to install my empeg. Is this standard on new cars, or are only some putting this in as a standard feature? That is a huge selling point for me, as simple a thing as it is.

#294100 - 21/02/2007 20:54 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
Redrum
old hand

Dodge Magnum with AWD and a hemi

#294101 - 21/02/2007 22:53 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
music
addict

Quote:
So any thoughts? I don't really need a family car, but I'm not stuck on a sports car either.

That's a pretty wide open question.

Which of the following parameters are "must have", "must NOT have", or "don't care"?

• FWD / RWD / 4WD / AWD
  • Convertible / Coupe
  • Stick / PaddleShift / Automatic / CVT
  • HighHorsepower / HighRPMs / LowEndTorque / Turbocharger / Supercharger
  • 2-seater / 4-seater / CanCarryGolfClubs
  • Heavy / Light
  • HeatedSeats / otherLuxuryStuff
  • SideCurtainAirBags / otherSafetyStuff
  • American / German / Japanese
  • under-$30K / $30-40K / $40-50K / $50-60K / $60K-70K / $70K+
  • SportsCar / GTCar / HighwayCruiser.

Rank the following from most-to-least in terms of importance:
  • Price
  • Economy
  • Comfort
  • Handling
  • Acceleration
  • DepreciatingDoodads-in-the-dashboard (GPSNav/bluetooth/Ipod)
  • Maintenance costs (I.e., wide Z-rated tires aren't cheap and don't last)
  • Resale value
  • Lines of the car (how it looks to YOU)
  • Image of the car (how it looks to OTHERS)
  • Safety

All that being said, I'd recommend looking at a BMW 335 to get a great cross-section of HP, handling, and comfort.

Of course, it's been heavily Bangled so I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot-pole. And you might get iDrive rammed down your throat, too. (SUCK) So that's off the list.

So maybe you should get a Infiniti G35, since it's a Bimmer-killer in many respects. Of course, the plastic interior is Empeg-proof and will totally start rattling apart in about a year. So no-go on this one.

Then again, the Lexus IS350 might be interesting. But I doubt you want to be one of "those" Lexus drivers. OK. Scratch that.

You mentioned that you like Mustangs. Of course you might now be getting a little too old to be "that kid with the Mustang" and yet still be a little too young to be "that mid-life crisis guy with the Mustang." Another one scratched off the list.

A new re-vamped "Bitchin' Camaro" comes out next year (I think).

Alternately, you can buy a Mitsu Evo and get a fair amount of driving excitement. Of course, you'll look like an overgrown 16-year-old who bolted a wing and a bunch of crap onto his car. On the other hand, driving it may be so much fun that you don't car about all the juvenile delinquents trying to goad you to race them at every stoplight.

Another direction to go would be the Subaru WRX Sti. Oceans, Mountains, Mud, Rain, Dry Pavement. Drive Drive Drive, baby.

Or, another thought: a slightly used Toyota MR2.
Already depreciated. Convertible. What's not to love?

Hey, how about a Saturn Sky or a Pontiac Solstice?
Their performance characteristics on paper aren't all that great, but I bet you could have a HECK of a lot of fun in one of those for maybe 20 Grand or so.

Hard to beat that.

But you might have some issues with lugging your guitar amp around (bring one to the dealer and see if you can jam it in the trunk).

Or get a 20 year old Porsche 944 for $6-8K. Maintenance might suck, though.

Quote:
I just want something fun to drive if I'm going to spent 2.5 hours in it every day.

2.5 hours!?

OK, never mind. Buy a Prius or a Hybrid.
Or a tiny Toyota Yaris which you can just drive into the ground.

#294102 - 22/02/2007 00:41 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Go drive a BMW 3-series. If you want to have a TON of fun, get yourself a 2 or 3 year old M3 for less money than a new Mustang, and about 10,000x the car.

#294103 - 22/02/2007 01:21 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: music]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

* FWD / RWD / 4WD / AWD- Don't Care
* Convertible / Coupe- would LIKE a convertible, but I'm undecided
* Stick / PaddleShift / Automatic / CVT- Automatic
* HighHorsepower / HighRPMs / LowEndTorque / Turbocharger / Supercharger- Exact specs aren't important, but I want to have some oomph.
* 2-seater / 4-seater / CanCarryGolfClubs- 2 or 4 is fine, but I'd prefer a 2 door.
* Heavy / Light- don't care
* HeatedSeats / otherLuxuryStuff- Nice to have, not critical.
* SideCurtainAirBags / otherSafetyStuff- don't care, but my wife does.
* American / German / Japanese- don't care.
* under-$30K / $30-40K / $40-50K / $50-60K / $60K-70K / $70K+ Must be under $35K and would prefer under $30K
* SportsCar / GTCar / HighwayCruiser- as long as it is "fun".

My ranking:
Aux in for my Karma
Acceleration
Handling
Lines of the car (how it looks to YOU)
Comfort
Price
DepreciatingDoodads-in-the-dashboard (GPSNav/bluetooth/Ipod)
Maintenance costs (I.e., wide Z-rated tires aren't cheap and # don't last)
Safety
Economy
Resale value
Image of the car (how it looks to OTHERS)

Quote:
So maybe you should get a Infiniti G35
This is what my wife wants me to get- used, obviously, since I can't afford to get one new.

Quote:
the plastic interior is Empeg-proof
I'm pretty much Karma-only these days. The empg is about to be retired to a shelf in my house. However, this makes Aux in a HUGLY imporant thing for me.

Quote:
You mentioned that you like Mustangs. Of course you might now be getting a little too old to be "that kid with the Mustang" and yet still be a little too young to be "that mid-life crisis guy with the Mustang."
I'm ok with being either of these guys- it's a fun car to drive

Quote:
But you might have some issues with lugging your guitar amp around (bring one to the dealer and see if you can jam it in the trunk).
Well, I don't gig anymore since moving to Atlanta , but if I ever DO need to lug equipment around we always have my wife's Escape (which I still think is an awesome car, and actually what I've been driving to work as of late).

Quote:
2.5 hours!?
OK, never mind. Buy a Prius or a Hybrid.
- heh, well this commute (1hr 15 min) is temporary and does not require me to play rent- I assume that my normal commute will be around 45 minutes (1.5 hours total) once we get to our final destination. The upside is that I have more money to spend on gas so having a nice drive is more important than economy.

Edited by JeffS (22/02/2007 01:23)

#294104 - 22/02/2007 05:22 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
music
addict

Quote:
Quote:
So maybe you should get a Infiniti G35
This is what my wife wants me to get- used, obviously, since I can't afford to get one new.

You can get a brand new G35 coupe for $34K MSRP.
In fact, their factory lease offer this month is: $329.00 per mo. with $3754.00 due at Signing

You should also investigate the Nissan 350Z since it is basically the same car and occasionally cheaper.

If you are set on a convertible, a new convertible BMW 3-series or Mercedes SLK350 are just barely outside your range, but a coupe 3-series might sneak under the line.

No point in buying Audi unless you get Quattro (AWD).
That means a NEW TT (Quattro) is slightly outside your range, but a new A4 Turbo is not.

If you're not set on "new", a used BMW M3 (E46) will rock your world for under $35K.
I would recommend looking at one. Around here you can't swing a <insert colorful metaphor> without hitting one. So people are willing to deal.

[I just remembered you moved to Atlanta. But I believe the following regional comments still hold, though Atlanta might have a somewhat more robust used BMW market than San Antonio.]

Although, ISTR the market in San Antone is quite a bit different so you might not be able to haggle as sweet a deal on a slightly-used BMW.

On the other hand, a used M3 in Alamo-town is less likely to have seen serious track time than one around here.

On the gripping hand, you're more likely to get some spiffy Dinan go-fast parts already installed by the previous owner in this region.

Also, I think M3's only come in SMG or Manual transmission. So if Automatic is a must, M3's are probably out.

Otherwise, I'd go test drive in this order: Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky, Nissan 350Z, Infiniti G35, Audi {TT Quattro, A4 2.0Turbo Quattro}, BMW coupe, new Mustang convertible.(*)

Each car, costing slightly more than the one before, ought to be more appealing than the one before. If not, throw it right out. Then at the end, you drive your tried and true favorite, the Mustang, last. That way you can mentally compare it against everything else.

At that point your're ready to immediately purchase the Mustang, or you're ready to immediately rule it out and go re-check your two favorites.

(*)Throw in a used Toyota MR2, a new Honda S2000, any other car from your short list that I forgot, and season to taste.

In closing, I think the Aux In is not a deal-killer.
I know BMW dealers used to offer iPod integration, and the instructions and know-how are still out there even thought I think the dealers no longer do this.
Similarly, check the G35 (or whatever) forums and I bet you can find a standard AuxIn solution for $200 or less for pretty much every car.

VW has tried to make a REALLY BIG DEAL about the fact that they have a stupid audio-in jack in their dash, so that might mean that Audi offers it standard now as well (I'm just speculating though).

#294105 - 22/02/2007 05:35 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
drakino
carpal tunnel

It sounds like your pretty willing to go for a new Mustang, so thats probably a good sign that it would be something you would enjoy again. I'm still having fun in mine, and have been looking into the local Mustang clubs now to further appreciate the car.

As far as your budget, a fully loaded GT looks to go a bit over 35k, but thats with nearly every option, including the navigation, interior upgrades and so on. So keeping it in 30k-35k should be easy. Also, I can get you an X-Plan PIN to save you some money on it, I used that for mine last year so I should have 2 new ones for this year.

If you can wait a bit for the car, I'd highly recommend ordering one. It's a great experience being able to pick up the car new with single digit readings on the odometer, and having every exact feature, interior layout and color choices match what you want. It takes about 2 months to be built and delivered, assuming the dealer puts it in at a good priority.

If you can wait more then 2 months, I believe the 2008 order banks will open up for the Mustang in April, and a few new options are being added. HID lights, some sort of new interior lighting package, and some new colors, including possibly grabber blue. Though they probably won't start building till late May at the earliest, meaning a late July timeframe.

#294106 - 22/02/2007 05:44 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
music
addict

Ah-hah! It just dawned on me what you need.

2004 Porsche Boxster S Cabriolet

$34,000-ish, including Tiptronic Automatic Transmission (if you really must have an automatic ).

3.2 liters of 6-cylinder goodness cranking out 258 horsepower
to a 2910 pound car. Wheeeeee!

#294107 - 22/02/2007 07:32 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: music]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Wow, I sure came to the right place to ask my question! Thanks for all the info- I will probably test drive all the ones you suggest, and I am not stuck on getting a new car. Getting a new car would be fun, especially if I order it and get to have it delievered, but saving money and getting a better car is fun too!

#294108 - 22/02/2007 07:39 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: drakino]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Also, I can get you an X-Plan PIN to save you some money on it, I used that for mine last year so I should have 2 new ones for this year.
This would be awesome. I love this board

Quote:
If you can wait a bit for the car, I'd highly recommend ordering one. It's a great experience being able to pick up the car new with single digit readings on the odometer, and having every exact feature, interior layout and color choices match what you want. It takes about 2 months to be built and delivered, assuming the dealer puts it in at a good priority.
Yeah, this is what I've been wanting to do. My current plan is to

A) Test drive the cars on Music's list (it's pretty comprehensive)
B) If I still must have a Mustang, order one.

#294109 - 22/02/2007 09:57 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
Redrum
old hand

Quote:
My ranking:
Aux in for my Karma
Acceleration
Handling
Lines of the car (how it looks to YOU)
Comfort
Price
DepreciatingDoodads-in-the-dashboard (GPSNav/bluetooth/Ipod)
Maintenance costs (I.e., wide Z-rated tires aren't cheap and # don't last)
Safety
Economy
Resale value
Image of the car (how it looks to OTHERS)

Magnum has all that. OK then go for the big hemi motor and it will kick butt on all Mustangs at the office. And if you look at the prices of old hemi cars of the 60's ($100k) maybe you'll make money on it in 20 years.

Looks - either you like it or hate it. But at least it also doesn't look like every other egg on the road.

#294110 - 22/02/2007 10:05 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: Redrum]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
looks - either you like it or hate it.
Unfortunately, I'm on the "hate it" side

Too bad, because it seems quite nice.

#294111 - 22/02/2007 10:47 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Not sure if you'd like it, but a Mini Cooper S is a heck of a lot of fun to drive. Almost feels like an overpowered go-cart. Not sure if I'd buy one, but you may want to test drive one just for kicks.

Also comes in convertible.

#294112 - 22/02/2007 11:24 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JBjorgen]
oliver
addict

I went and drove the new VW Rabbits a few months ago, those are definitely fun, the salesman didn't like me leaving laying down some rubber in the lot, or breaking the read end loose. Either way, I had alot of fun!, plus they're only like $15k. You could get two, still be under your budget and have loads of fun.

However, I do love my A6, I only wish it was slightly newer with the navigation bits. AWD, heated seats and the ski condom are a must for me in this weather

#294113 - 22/02/2007 11:28 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JBjorgen]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Not sure if you'd like it, but a Mini Cooper S is a heck of a lot of fun to drive. Almost feels like an overpowered go-cart. Not sure if I'd buy one, but you may want to test drive one just for kicks.

Also comes in convertible.

I was also going to mention it. It seems to fit with how the priorities were ranked.

Get the JCW (John Cooper Works) package, and I bet it'll hold its own against any of the other cars in this thread.

#294114 - 22/02/2007 11:56 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
Just to confuse things further, I'll throw the Subaru Outback XT into the mix. Alot of fun to drive, has the aux-in (07), has a turbo, good hauler if needed, AWD, and decent reputation for quality. I tried the Magnum and the Charger but shied away for quality reasons. I also was looking at the Mustang but was very disappointed in the interior styling.

I really liked the fact that the Outback has a modding community akin to the empeg community @ subaruoutback.org and legacygt.com. That being said, if the new camaro is a close to the prototype the Outback will likely get traded.

Attachments
294747-car7.jpg (147 downloads)

#294115 - 22/02/2007 12:27 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: Mach]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Yeah, the camaro looks sweet. I can't wait a year, and I've never really been a big fan of the camaro anyway, but if they end up being anything close to the prototype it is going to be one sweet car. The inside stylings look good too, from what I've seen.

#294116 - 22/02/2007 14:08 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Although it hasn't been mentioned yet, you should go look at the Acura TSX and TL. You get pretty much maximum gadgetry for a minimum cost (e.g., Bluetooth phone support, HomeLink garage door opener, heated memory seats, etc.). Pretty much the only options are color, transmission, and nav system. The TL is slightly larger, but comes with a beefy V6 rather than the TSX's arguable V4 (pretty good with the manual transmission, slightly underpowered with the automatic). Likewise, go have a look at the Honda Accord Coupe (available with a V6; essentially the same as the Acura TL, but there are no Acura coupes) and the Honda Civic Si (well within your budget; fast, fun car). I'm pretty sure the new ones have an appropriate aux-in.

Another manufacturer you need to investigate is Mazda. Again, lots of gadgetry, and several of their cars have a bitchin' fast turbo. I'd recommend against a Miata/MX-5. I rented one and drove it from L.A. to Santa Barbara and back. They're fun on twisty mountain roads, but the suspension is way too tight for freeway driving; it doesn't damp out the high-frequency road noise at all, so it will rattle your teeth.

Finally, a plug for Audi. The Audi A3 is one of these cars with a reasonable base price but a million options packages. Go play with their online configurator. The 2.0T engine should be faster than your current Mustang, and the 3.2 V6 should blow your Mustang away. More importantly, you can get Audi's DSG transmission. It's way better than any automatic transmission because it's got this cool dual-clutch setup. You might also want to look at some of the similar Volkswagen models, but I think the Audi has some nice luxury features you can't get from Volkswagen.

#294117 - 22/02/2007 16:07 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

OK, well I just went and test drove the G35. That is a pretty sweet car. An amazing amount of gadetry, very comfortable, quite (except when your changing the first few gears, which makes it sound sporty- how clever!), accelerates and handles very well, and they can install an Aux in for me relativly cheaply.

Its a pretty good looking car- not as sexy as the Mustang, but it almost makes up for that by not being a car that everyone else already owns.

It isn't cheap- the salesman told me 39K for the fully loaded car I test drove, which is actually cheaper than if you load it out on their web site and price it. For financing they offered 3.99, which seems pretty good- better than Ford's 4.5% they are offering for the Mustang (Haven't checked with my credit union yet). Either way, the G35 is sill more expensive than the Mustang (especially if I compare it against the coup rather than the convertiblie- though I plan to get the convertible if I get the Mustang).

One cool thing the G35 has is the XM Radio + GPS= alerting you to accidents before you get to them. Now THAT is pretty neat, especially with my commute (half of which can be accomplished one of two ways). Apparently this works with XM and not Serius (sp?) because XM broadcasts information for the GPS system to use.

So far it seems to come down to comfort and gadgets vs price and sexiness.

Of course, that's only comparing the two cars. I'm going to take another run at lunch tomorrow to try out something else. The G35 definitly seems a good fit for my long commute, though.

#294118 - 22/02/2007 16:10 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
I had a rental G35 on a weeks' vacation in British Columbia. Except for rearward visibility and relatively poor mileage (compared to my Subaru Outback 6cyl) it was a great car.

-Zeke

#294119 - 23/02/2007 01:24 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: Ezekiel]
ineedcolor
addict

Loc: Windsor, Ontario Canada
Good timing!...I was going to ask about a car I was considering...there are a number of seemingly pristine Audi TT Quattro roadsters on eBay right now for @ $16,000 average price...anyone have any experience with these cars? I would love to hear some opinions...

Zeke: A buddy of mine picked up his new G35 coupe today and he's been raving ever since...awesome car!

Cheers,

John

#294120 - 23/02/2007 19:47 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: ineedcolor]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Well, Ford just made my decision for me- I will NOT be buying the Mustang. Here's the story:

So I just checked my credit before getting too deep into the car search. For reported me delinquint 30 days. I was totally confused because we just paid off my wife's car. So I called them to find out what happened. Apparently when I'd called to make the final payment and entered it over the phone (which I did in order to make sure I had the exact right amount and got it to them in time), I fat fingered the amount somehow so it was off by $70. No idea how I did that. At any rate, they did not notify me or anything but reported that I was delenquint in payment to the credit berue immediatly. This after making EVERY payment on time for the whole 5 years we paid on my wife's car.

So I talked to Ford on the phone and explained the situation- the guy said "I see what happened, you obviously intended to pay the full amount but entered the wrong thing. You had the right intentions but we don't report intentions to the Beurue- we report facts. It was all explained on the credit application that you signed."

I asked why they didn't at least try to notify me of my error and try to correct it before reporting it, and again he said "we don't deal in intentions, we deal in fact. And the fact is you didn't send in the money".

Nice. I realize there's nothing that can be done now, but jeeze, they guy didn't even try to be classy about it. Kept talking about "facts not intentions". The irony being, of course, that I called and did it over the phone specificly to make sure I was sending in the correct amount for the last payment.

So I informed the guy I'd never buy another Ford.

So no Mustang for me- Having removed that option, I'm pretty sold on the G35 and will probably go that route. Unfortunatly I'll have to take a few more months to make up the difference in cost, as I wasn't planning on buying a 40K car. Of course, that will also give me some time to check out a few of the other suggestions.

#294121 - 23/02/2007 21:17 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've been screwed over by Ford Motor Credit in similar ways myself in the past. (I had VW financed through FMC once upon a time.)

It's possible that you didn't fatfinger the amount, and that it actually changed between the time you called and the time you paid. I sometimes wonder if they do that crap on purpose.

#294122 - 23/02/2007 21:44 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
Well, Ford just made my decision for me- I will NOT be buying the Mustang.

Wow! That's where the line "May I speak with your superior?" comes in handy.
The way he dealt with you is outrageous.

I vote you get a WRX. Who needs a V8?
Of course, if I had the money I'd go for a Monster Miata ...but that's neither here nor there in the scope of this thread.

#294123 - 23/02/2007 22:31 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: Robotic]
music
addict

Quote:
Of course, if I had the money I'd go for a Monster Miata ...but that's neither here nor there in the scope of this thread.

Did I miss some math, or would the total cost of that be:
  • $4500 for a 1992 Miata MX-5, plus
  • $4000 for the conversion kit, plus
  • a few hundred for some sticky, sticky tires

equals $9000 ?

(plus $500 for Empeg and audio upgrades, plus $1000 for random transmission or suspension enhancements)

Miatas are already very popular Auto-Cross cars.
And with a MonsterMiata setup, you could take it to the track and conceivably taunt the guys driving Vipers (depending on the track).

P.S. Someone earlier mentioned the Mini Cooper S. I know people have done some amazing souping up to those cars -- and they are supposedly quite fun track cars to begin with.

I went to the Monterey Historic Car races last summer and the featured marque was Cooper (the original Cooper). However, they had a special corral for a bunch of Mini Coopers. Dinan was there (the performance specialists for BMWs) showing off some serious aftermarket enhancements they now offer for Mini Coopers (since they're really BMWs now).

#294124 - 23/02/2007 23:00 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: Robotic]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
Quote:
Well, Ford just made my decision for me- I will NOT be buying the Mustang.

Wow! That's where the line "May I speak with your superior?" comes in handy.
The way he dealt with you is outrageous.

Of course, if I had the money I'd go for a Monster Miata

I'll just point out that Mazda is 1/3 owned by Ford.

#294125 - 23/02/2007 23:03 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: music]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
Did I miss some math, or would the total cost of that be:
  • $4500 for a 1992 Miata MX-5, plus
  • $4000 for the conversion kit, plus
  • a few hundred for some sticky, sticky tires

equals $9000 ?

He gives an example cost here.
Quote:
Conversion Cost $16,900.00
Project Car Cost $6,000.00
Total Cost $22.900.00

edit: ah- I see- you've quoted the 'home-build' while I've quoted the 'shop-build' option.
edit again: yes, you have missed some math- the cost of the donor Ford drivetrain.

And, yes, it would pack a whallop at the auto-x events.
Cheaper than finding a Tiger, too.

Appologies to JeffS for the threadjack, but car threads can and often do go in many directions at once.

Edited by Robotic (23/02/2007 23:14)

#294126 - 23/02/2007 23:41 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: ineedcolor]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Quote:
there are a number of seemingly pristine Audi TT Quattro roadsters on eBay right now for @ $16,000 average price...anyone have any experience with these cars? I would love to hear some opinions...

I once test-drove the coupe version with the V6 and the DSG transmission, largely for the purpose of giving the DSG a try. While I was there, I also tried the much faster Audi S4. My conclusion was that the (slower) TT was much more fun than the (faster) S4, largely because the DSG transmission is really a joy.

That said, I'd be particularly hesitant about buying the first model year or two of the TT's with the DSG, because you're getting something really, really new and different from previous transmissions. How reliable will these things be? Do you want to risk it?

#294127 - 24/02/2007 02:59 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Wow, that sucks. Did he know he was losing a future sale with that "facts" crap, or did you let him know only at the end? Might explain why Ford is swirling around the toilet currently.

With your story of FMC and Tony's, it's making me want to let my bank take over my loan, even at a slightly higher rate then FMC offered. I have to admit if they do anything like that to me when my payments are done, I'll stay away from Ford even if I do like the Mustang.

#294128 - 24/02/2007 07:06 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Quote:
I'm pretty sold on the G35 and will probably go that route.

Go drive a BMW first. I promise you won't regret it. Autos are available. Check out the 330Csi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >