Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#299979 - 28/06/2007 10:53 Other clients e.g. Nokia 770 just $139
laserfan
stranger

Loc: Frozen North
This thing's on sale at Buy.com for $139 shipped--seems like it would make a great portable client to the Rio Central if we could get Receiver-like code onto it.

Uses Internet Tablet OS 2006 I guess--does anyone here know about maemo and can comment on my idea?

#299980 - 06/07/2007 01:05 Re: Other clients e.g. Nokia 770 just $139 [Re: laserfan]
laserfan
stranger

OK nobody's biting on this but in the meantime I got my 770 and gotta tell ya: this is a remarkable gizmo for $139 shipped! It includes WiFi and Bluetooth and an incredible screen, and when I set-up its Media Streamer to a simple uPnP server, I can start a song to play and add other songs & re-arrange etc. etc. Then while the thing is playing music, I can surf the Web and/or VNC into the other PCs on my network, and not skip a musical beat!

Very cool--highly recommended "Internet Tablet"!! If only it would listen to my Rio Central...

#299981 - 09/07/2007 21:34 Re: Other clients e.g. Nokia 770 just $139 [Re: laserfan]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I'm really tempted to get one of these. Is it just me, or do they seem like the perfect platform for a home automation remote? Of course, a home automation remote wouldn't be too useful without a home automation back end, but I can dream.

The central really makes one miss the empeg community. The hardware is all there, but it just doesn't run hijack. Hijack's web server would add so much to the central, and I miss it every time I play with my parents central. I can't imagine why you'd want the sound to come out of the 770, but I can certainly see controlling what the central is playing through the 770's web browser.

To be a bit more on topic, the central protocol is pretty well documented, though you're looking in the wrong place. Look up the many replacement rio receiver servers, and you'll see what people have done. Then flip the spec over, and start reading it upside down, and you'll see what needs to be done.

Matthew

#299982 - 10/07/2007 06:23 Re: Other clients e.g. Nokia 770 just $139 [Re: matthew_k]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
To be a bit more on topic, the central protocol is pretty well documented, though you're looking in the wrong place. Look up the many replacement rio receiver servers, and you'll see what people have done. Then flip the spec over, and start reading it upside down, and you'll see what needs to be done.

It would certainly be possible to gateway Receiver protocol onto UPnP, but that's probably not what you want to do -- the querying available over Receiver protocol is less than you'd wish for. You can't even get a list of albums by a given artist, for instance.

What you actually want to do is lash up gmediaserver so that it runs on the Central and reads the *0 and *1 files directly to populate its database (rather than using ftw() and metadata extraction).

Peter

#299983 - 24/07/2007 17:52 Re: Other clients e.g. Nokia 770 just $139 [Re: peter]
laserfan
stranger

Quote:
What you actually want to do is lash up gmediaserver so that it runs on the Central and reads the *0 and *1 files directly to populate its database (rather than using ftw() and metadata extraction).

Oh my...is that English you're using Peter? My problem is that I'm wallowing in Servers here; I have several already incl uPnP, and numerous gizmo/clients, but my Rio Central runs 24/7 to serve exactly one client, my lone Rio Receiver. So I'm thinking maybe I should dump the Central and find uPnP client software for my RR (tho I guess trio never made it to completion) or maybe dump BOTH I suppose. But the Central is such an attractive piece of gear I have a hard time thinking about parting with it.

#299984 - 24/07/2007 18:31 Re: Other clients e.g. Nokia 770 just $139 [Re: laserfan]
geeknerd

Well, it's my ultimate goal to get a different piece of software on the Central, perhaps a stripped down (video stuff removed) version of Freevo. I have written plugins for Freevo before and it would be pretty simple to get it to read the music fid files. In addition, Freevo currently supports being both a uPnP server AND a client.

However, I don't think it will run well at 16M RAM. I'm hoping to get some help on upgrading my central to 32M, so if you know anything about hardware hacking, please let me know.

#299985 - 25/07/2007 19:53 Re: Other clients e.g. Nokia 770 just $139 [Re: geeknerd]
laserfan
stranger

Ouch I didn't know the Central had only 16Mb of RAM !!!??!!! No wonder it hasn't been hacked to-date...

#299986 - 26/07/2007 01:51 Re: Other clients e.g. Nokia 770 just $139 [Re: laserfan]
geeknerd

I think it's because the stock software is really nice. It actually doesn't leave much to be desired except maybe the ability to play mp3 internet streams.

It's also (mainly?) because I believe there were only around 200 or so ever made.

And 16M is actually more than it sounds like.