Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#304533 - 29/11/2007 14:24 Firefox Extensions
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I think it's about time for us to let each other know about what Firefox extensions we're using again.

Here are the ones I find it hard to live without:
  • Adblock Plus
  • BugMeNot
  • Flashblock
  • Foxmarks
  • Greasemonkey
  • Live HTTP Headers
  • Long Titles
  • Platypus
  • Restart Firefox
And here are some that I like, but are not "necessary":
  • Aging Tabs
  • ChromEdit Plus
  • ClumsyFingers
  • CookiePie
  • Dictionary Tooltip
  • Edit Cookies
  • Enhanced History Manager
  • Fission
  • IE Tab
  • Resizeable Form Fields
  • Resurrect Pages
  • Tamper Data
  • TinyUrl Creator
  • View Source Chart
And here are some that I've tried recently but not ended up liking:
  • Undo Closed Tabs Button: only allows you to undo the most recent one; I was hoping to get a more easily accessible Menu than having to go through the History menu.
  • NoScript: won't allow me to universally allow Javascript while blocking Java
Which brings me to the real reason for this post:

Does anyone know of a Javablock extension? One that would simply put a placeholder for Java applets and allow me to choose to run them rather than automatically running them? Basically, Flashblock for Java.

#304534 - 29/11/2007 14:47 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I use many of the same ones you use.

In addition, I use:

for convenience:
Clone Window

for web development:
Firebug
Web Developer
View Cookies
Charles Autoconfiguration (for use with Charles Web Debugging Proxy)

#304535 - 29/11/2007 15:17 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: wfaulk]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
My Extensions:
Adblock Plus
Better Gmail
Configuration Mania
CustomizeGoogle
DonwTheAll!
Download Manager Tweek
keyconfig
Locationbar2
NoScript
Password Exporter
Slashdotter
Tab Mix Plus
VideoDownloader

I never install Flash in Firefox since it causes the memory to leak like a sieve.

Why do allow javascript to run globally? Only running javascript on sites you trust is the simplest way to prevent unwanted software from getting drive by installed. Now that I think about it Java is about the only plugin that I allow installed into Firefox since I need it for work. I don't have Real Player, Quicktime or Acrobat Reader plugins installed.

#304536 - 29/11/2007 15:33 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I swear by:

Tab Mix Plus
Adblock (not adblock plus)
Adblock Filterset.G Updater

While we're here, I'm looking for a good addon that'll do the following thing for me:

In internet Explorer 7, I can zoom in and out of a page by going ctrl+mousehweel. This zooms the text and images.

In firefox, the same behavior only zooms the text. I want it to work exactly like IE7 in this regard.

I have tried the addon "Image Zoom" but it only lets me click on individual images and select a zoomlevel from a flyout menu, which is a pain in the ass.

#304537 - 29/11/2007 15:38 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
And here are some that I've tried recently but not ended up liking:Undo Closed Tabs Button: only allows you to undo the most recent one; I was hoping to get a more easily accessible Menu than having to go through the History menu.

Try Tab Mix Plus.

I like it for the way it lets me control and unclutter the tab bar, as well as the way it gives me super-precise control over every mouse action related to tabs. But it also has an extensive undo-closed-tab feature, including a full session saver (restore all the open tabs you lost after a crash). See if that meets your needs.

#304538 - 29/11/2007 15:47 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

Adblock Filterset.G Updater

You may be aware of this, but in case you're not, the Adblock Plus maintainers recommend against using Filterset G. I can't verify all of the claims, but on my system I definitely did notice a speed improvement when I switched from Adblock + Filterset G to Adblock Plus with the "officially supported" ad subscriptions. I also had a lot more false positives (legit content being blocked) with Filterset G than with the Adblock Plus subscriptions.

FWIW.

#304539 - 29/11/2007 15:50 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Oh, and to answer Bitt's question:

Generated: Thu Nov 29 2007 12:49:04 GMT-0500 (EST)
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060508 Firefox/1.5.0.4 Mnenhy/0.7.4.0
Build ID: 2007111504

Enabled Extensions: [29]
- Adblock Plus 0.7.5.3
- Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper 1.0.2
- Aging Tabs 0.5.2
- Bazzacuda Image Saver 2.0
- BugMeNot 1.3
- ClumsyFingers 1.3
- CookieSafe 2.0.6
- De-ImageShack 0.6.0
- Download Statusbar 0.9.5.2
- Find Toolbar Tweaks 1.2b2
- Firebug 1.05
- Fission 0.8.8
- FoxyProxy 2.5.4
- Google Toolbar for Firefox 3.0.20070525M
- Greasemonkey 0.7.20070607.0
- Growl Download Notification 0.5
- keyconfig 20060828.1
- Linky 2.7.1
- MR Tech Local Install 5.3.2.6
- NextPlease 0.6.6
- Quick Sum 0.1
- ReloadEvery 2.0
- Resizeable Form Fields 0.2.1
- Resurrect Pages 1.0.8
- RetailMeNot 1.0
- Smart Middle Click 0.5
- TargetAlert 0.9-preview
- TinyUrl Creator 1.0.4
- View Source Chart 2.5.03

Disabled Extensions: [17]
- Advanced URL Builder 1.3.101
- CSSViewer 1.0.2
- DOM Inspector 1.8.1.10
- DownThemAll! 0.9.9.10
- Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer 1.0.1
- functions for keyconfig 1.3.8
- gladder 1.2.3
- Header Spy 1.2.2
- Image Toolbar 0.6.4
- ImageHost Grabber 1.3.5
- Live HTTP Headers 0.13.1
- Platypus 0.66
- ProxySel 1.0.06a
- RefControl 0.8.9
- Talkback 2.0.0.10
- Tamper Data 9.8.1
- UnPlug 1.6.06

Total Extensions: 46

Installed Themes: [2]
- Firefox (default)
- Noia 2.0 (eXtreme) 3.371

Installed Plugins: (7)
- Default Plug-in
- DivX Browser Plug-In
- Flip4Mac Windows Media Plugin 2.1.3
- Java Embedding Plugin 0.9.5+g+2
- QuickTime Plug-in 7.3
- Shockwave Flash
- Verified Download Plugin

#304540 - 29/11/2007 16:06 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You may be aware of this, but in case you're not, the Adblock Plus maintainers recommend against using Filterset G.

Yes, I'm aware. I'm not using Adblock Plus, I'm using Adblock, so I need the filterset.g thing.

There was a reason I deliberately chose not to use Adblock Plus, but for the life of me I can't remember it now. I'm sure if I spent time looking through their web site again and/or trying their plugin, I'd remember what it was.

In any case, I've never had performance problems, false positives, or false negatives with my current configuration. Adblock and the Filterset.G updater together have been the only long-lasting 100 percent reliable 100 percent accurate (to my surf habits) trouble-free system that I've used so far.

#304541 - 29/11/2007 16:18 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
There was a reason I deliberately chose not to use Adblock Plus, but for the life of me I can't remember it now.

I was in the exact same situation a while back, looked again, and couldn't come up with why not. I installed it and never looked back.

I want to say that it used to cost money and that was the reason I didn't want to use it, but I could be totally wrong about that.

#304542 - 29/11/2007 16:20 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
it also has an extensive undo-closed-tab feature, including a full session saver (restore all the open tabs you lost after a crash)

That is built into Firefox now. I can get it all back as-is. I was just looking for a better UI.

In fact, it's been a while since I felt the need for any tab-improving extensions. I'm perfectly happy with what comes stock now.

#304543 - 29/11/2007 16:31 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: wfaulk]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Undo Closed Tabs Button: only allows you to undo the most recent one; I was hoping to get a more easily accessible Menu than having to go through the History menu.

Tab Mix Plus still rules that category. The "undo close tab" seems to have quite a good history of closed tabs.

I also use Tab History to have navigation history inherited whenever I open a new tab from an existing one (and other places).

#304544 - 29/11/2007 16:54 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: Attack]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Why do allow javascript to run globally? Only running javascript on sites you trust is the simplest way to prevent unwanted software from getting drive by installed.

Because it seems that 90% of the sites I visit require it in one way or another.

As far as I know, I've never had any "drive-by installations".

#304545 - 29/11/2007 16:54 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
There was a reason I deliberately chose not to use Adblock Plus, but for the life of me I can't remember it now.

I was in the exact same situation a while back, looked again, and couldn't come up with why not. I installed it and never looked back.

I looked again and realized why: Based on reading their web site, they seem to require you to subscribe to multiple different adblock subscription lists, and to do some kind of thinking and deciding which of the subscription lists are right for you, and they warn you against subscribing to too many (meaning I can't just subscribe to all of them so I don't have to think about it).

With adblock and filterset.g, I never have to think about it, never have to manage multiple subscriptions, and it Just Works.

#304546 - 29/11/2007 16:58 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: mlord]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Tab Mix Plus still rules that category. The "undo close tab" seems to have quite a good history of closed tabs.

Again, this is built into the stock Firefox (History->Recently Closed Tabs). There is no need to install an extension to get the feature. I was hoping for a better UI, but I don't need TM+'s ten thousand options in order to get at it.

Quote:
I also use Tab History to have navigation history inherited whenever I open a new tab from an existing one

Now that's handy.

#304547 - 29/11/2007 17:07 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I looked again and realized why: Based on reading their web site, they seem to require you to subscribe to multiple different adblock subscription lists, and to do some kind of thinking and deciding which of the subscription lists are right for you, and they warn you against subscribing to too many (meaning I can't just subscribe to all of them so I don't have to think about it).

With adblock and filterset.g, I never have to think about it, never have to manage multiple subscriptions, and it Just Works.

Ummm....

You don't want to use AdBlock Plus because it requires that you subscribe to a list. Instead, you use Adblock and subscribe to a list. I'm not really sure how that's different, other than the UI for subscribing in AB+ is built into the AB+ UI, and it keeps subscription filters totally separate from each other and from ones you define yourself.

Personally, I subscribe to "EasyList (USA)" and almost never see an ad. And most of the other choices are just for other languages.

Also, (and it's possible that this has been added to regular AdBlock), the UI makes it far easier to see what things have been blocked by what rules.

#304548 - 29/11/2007 17:09 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:

You're complaining about having choice??

The choices are mainly for non English websites. You can just pick the main US one. There is one for blocking tracking cookies as well.

#304549 - 29/11/2007 17:35 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

And, if you want, I can give you a nine-line perl script that will allow Adblock Plus to use Filterset.G as an Adblock Plus subscription, as long as you have a web server that you can put a Perl CGI script on:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use LWP::Simple;

my $base = "http://www.pierceive.com/filtersetg";

my $content = get("$base/latest.txt");

print <<EOF
Content-Type: text/html

The document has moved <a href="$base/$content">here</a>.
EOF

I'm sure writing one in PHP would be equally as trivial.

#304550 - 29/11/2007 18:41 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You don't want to use AdBlock Plus because it requires that you subscribe to a list. Instead, you use Adblock and subscribe to a list.

No, I didn't want to use AdBlock Plus because it required me to figure out which of many lists I wanted to subscribe to, and worry about the *multiple* list subscriptions.

I liked adblock/Filterset.g better because it always *just worked* for me with that *single* list.

I don't know what adblock plus has above adblock that would be better, except for possibly better performance. But I have zero performance problems with what I'm using and see no need to change.

#304551 - 29/11/2007 18:55 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
You don't want to use AdBlock Plus because it requires that you subscribe to a list. Instead, you use Adblock and subscribe to a list.

No, I didn't want to use AdBlock Plus because it required me to figure out which of many lists I wanted to subscribe to, and worry about the *multiple* list subscriptions.

I liked adblock/Filterset.g better because it always *just worked* for me with that *single* list.

I don't know what adblock plus has above adblock that would be better, except for possibly better performance. But I have zero performance problems with what I'm using and see no need to change.

Yeah.

And the anti-FiltersetG comments at the Adblock-Plus page really just say "Not Invented Here" to me.

Cheers

#304552 - 29/11/2007 18:59 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I had the same reaction.

#304553 - 29/11/2007 19:17 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

It's certainly true that the Filterset.G folks don't like the Adblock Plus folks. It would take them three seconds to make it compatible with AdBlock Plus. It's the exact same file format. They just need a static URL for the file, which could be provided with a "latest" link. They have one, but it contains the filename instead of the data. All my script does is link you to the latest file.

I'm not sure how you can conclude from all of that that the Adblock Plus folks don't like Filterset.G other than their technical issues. Regardless, you can still use it. You can even still use the Filterset.G updater, although that bypasses one of the very nice features of Adblock Plus.

Other than "what I have currently works", none of your arguments seem to hold water to me. But you can ignore the updated features if you wish. No skin off my nose.

#304554 - 29/11/2007 20:16 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: wfaulk]
mlord
carpal tunnel

What I want is a filter list that will banish the right-side propaganda boxes from linuxtoday.com.

#304555 - 29/11/2007 20:23 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: mlord]
drakino
carpal tunnel

You don't like seeing this when visiting a Linux news site?

Quote:
When NCsoft, an online game provider with a global network, upgraded its popular online game Lineage II, it needed a server computer platform that would sustain hundreds of thousands of user connections to a huge virtual fantasy world. NCsoft chose Windows Server. 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition over Linux. As a result, it can offer hundreds of thousands of users uninterrupted access, and can easily find support for its computing environment and developer talent for its products.

Really makes you wonder how that got there in the first place. Guess I should dig out the ad code and start advertising the Neo35 here on the empeg site. :-)

#304556 - 29/11/2007 20:40 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Really makes you wonder how that got there in the first place.

Microsoft paid to put it there?

Honestly, I kind of like that idea. Those reading Linuxtoday are unlikely to be swayed by any amount of Microsoft propaganda, but MS would pay top dollar to get that ad space, thinking they'll get some mindshare out of it. So in a distant sense, it's Linux people being financed by Microsoft's own hubris.

#304557 - 29/11/2007 21:21 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I'm also curious about the claim too, as I can poke quite a few holes in it. Changing an MMO server to run on Windows after it ran on Linux isn't trivial, and also there is nothing that Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise offers that an MMO game server would need over just Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition.

So, just read the linked PDF, NCSoft never migrated from Linux to Windows. They ran Lineage 1 on Windows NT 4, and ran Lineage II on Windows 2000. The upgrade to 2003 occurred to also move to 64 bit.

I'd be more impressed by a story of an actual major Linux using service moving to Windows in an ad like this, over "Company running Windows continues to run Windows."

#304558 - 29/11/2007 21:53 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: mlord]
lastdan
enthusiast

Loc: santa cruz,ca
Quote:
What I want is a filter list that will banish the right-side propaganda boxes from linuxtoday.com.

have you tried the RIP extension?
http://rip.mozdev.org/

there's another called "stylish", but I it's a bit over my head.
someone linked to it, along with a ccs sheet (?!) that kills all that kinda side bar stuff from fark. that's all I know how to use it for.

the RIP extension is rather good at removing whole blocks of crap.

#304559 - 30/11/2007 00:39 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: lastdan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I was getting ready to be impressed with RIP, but it doesn't work half as well as Playtpus.

Mark, I've attached a Greasemonkey script generated by Platypus that seems to do what you want. You shouldn't even need Platypus installed to use it.

Attachments
306296-platypuswwwlinuxtodaycom.user.js (131 downloads)

#304560 - 30/11/2007 02:13 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: wfaulk]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I was getting ready to be impressed with RIP, but it doesn't work half as well as Playtpus.

Mark, I've attached a Greasemonkey script generated by Platypus that seems to do what you want. You shouldn't even need Platypus installed to use it.

Sounds good. What should I do with that attachment?

Thanks

#304561 - 30/11/2007 02:24 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: mlord]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Uh, you'll need to install Greasemonkey, after which when you view the file, it'll give you an option to install it. Install it and have fun.

And since you've got Greasemonkey installed, you might want to see if there's anything else it can do for you. Check out Userscripts.org for a bunch of user submitted ones.

#309981 - 09/05/2008 10:13 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Tony C. pointed me to "Tree Style Tab" yesterday. Once you tell it to put the tab bar back at the top and turn on the manual collapsing, it's awesome. Best tab upgrade since tabs originally appeared.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >