Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#310317 - 20/05/2008 02:07 Server supporting hierarchical playlists?
jules

Loc: Indiana USA
Hello Folks,

I have and Empeg running software version 3.00-alpah11 Receiver Edition, which essentially turns the Empeg into a Rio Receiver. It works well when being served by the Rio Audio Manager software, but I am disappointed at that server's support for playlists. All I can get are the soups, and those don't work for me. Playlists work also, but they cannot contain other playlists, so all I can create is a flat structure. If I could get hierarchical playlists, (e.g., a Playlist with other playlists as entries that when selected open up to display its contents), I would be happy. I would even be happy if it allowed me to navigate my server's folder structure (well, not that happy). Does anyone know of a server that will provide these? My limitation is that the server must run on Windows XP.

I have spent an enormous amount of time researching, and for the last half day embarked on trying Medianet but have not been able to make it work. The Empeg stays "Searching for Music.." forever. Tried all the workarounds and configurations of the server that have solved that problem for others, but all the cases I have read about are for actual Rio Receivers (or Dell), not for Empegs impersonating one.

Does any of the other servers support hierarchical playlists to create tree structures?

Will appreciate any pointers.

-Thanks.

#310319 - 20/05/2008 04:47 Re: Server supporting hierarchical playlists? [Re: jules]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This doesn't help you because you don't own one, but I'm running a Rio Central with Rio/Dell receivers, and it supports hierarchical playlists. But... only if you edit it with Jemplode exclusively. If you edit it with regular emplode, it breaks the hierarchy and messes it all up.

I hope at least one of the third-party receiver server products supports hierarchical playlists. It would be a shame if they didn't.

Do you only have the one Empeg for being a networked music player? In that case it might be easier to just leave it as a 2.0 empeg player and load tunes onto it.

#310321 - 20/05/2008 07:39 Re: Server supporting hierarchical playlists? [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I don't remember any of the third party servers supporting hierarchical playlists. Even the Slim Server based solutions only supports them via the lame approach of browsing the server's folder structure.

You could probably make the slimrio code run on an empeg fairly easily, but then of course you would not be using the empeg's UI to access the server, which would make it fairly pointless.

#310323 - 20/05/2008 08:54 Re: Server supporting hierarchical playlists? [Re: andy]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Originally Posted By: andy
I don't remember any of the third party servers supporting hierarchical playlists.

Mine does, but it doesn't yet run on Windows (or, at least, the Receiver server part of it doesn't).

Peter

#310332 - 20/05/2008 13:23 Re: Server supporting hierarchical playlists? [Re: peter]
jules

Thanks to all for the comments. Medianet seems capable of doing everything I need done, but unfortunately I cannot make it work for an Empeg with V3a11, unless "it can download and use a 'receiver.arf' that is different than supplied with Rio Receivers." Anyone knows if it can?

If not, it seems I'll have to live withing the 18gb space I have in the Empeg's hard disk.

Thanks again to all.

#310337 - 20/05/2008 14:28 Re: Server supporting hierarchical playlists? [Re: jules]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: jules
it seems I'll have to live withing the 18gb space I have in the Empeg's hard disk.

Surely not? Laptop hard disks are plentiful and getting cheaper by the day...

#310354 - 20/05/2008 20:17 Re: Server supporting hierarchical playlists? [Re: tfabris]
jules

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Surely not? Laptop hard disks are plentiful and getting cheaper by the day...

It is true that nowadays outfitting an Empeg with many more gigabytes than before is possible, and inexpensive. But it requires opening the Empeg, wiping a drive, several software reinstallations, many delicate IDE cable connects/disconnets, and then hours+hours+hours loading music. Maintenace is also a big deal as it has to be done indepently for each Empeg.

Would have really been nice to just keep one organized copy of music in a server and have all Empegs benefit automatically from updates, play Flacs, etc.

Truly, the Receiver Edition is the best thing that can possibly be done with the Empeg (for networked home use), *IF* a server supporting hierarchical Playlists is available. Hopefully Peter will finish the port of his software to Win32 and change things for us that live in the non-Linux world...

#310363 - 20/05/2008 23:48 Re: Server supporting hierarchical playlists? [Re: jules]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
But you said "if not".

#310364 - 21/05/2008 00:00 Re: Server supporting hierarchical playlists? [Re: wfaulk]
jules

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
But you said "if not".

You are right. I snapped. Sorry (Tony). Too many hours trying to do this ended up frustrating me....