Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#312547 - 29/07/2008 12:37 SlimRio and SqueezeNetwork?
TechnoDoc
new poster

Does anyone out there know if the SqueezeNetwork service works with the SlimRio software/client? The Logitech site says the service only works with newer hardware (Squeezebox v2 or v3 or the Transporter) and I believe it also works with the Java-bases SoftSqueeze.

I believe the latest version of SlimRio is from 2007, so I am hoping it is "new" enough to work.

Anyone tried it or have an answer?

Thanks in advance!

#312553 - 29/07/2008 13:51 Re: SlimRio and SqueezeNetwork? [Re: TechnoDoc]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
You cannot access SqueezeNetwork direct from the SlimRio client.

You can however make use of the SqueezeNetwork services that are available via your SqueezeCenter server. So you can use most of what is available on SN, but only if your local server is on.

Edited by andy (29/07/2008 13:51)

#312556 - 29/07/2008 14:05 Re: SlimRio and SqueezeNetwork? [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Looking at that post again I think a quick bit of explanation would be helpful for people who aren't closely acquainted with the way SN (SqueezeNetwork) and SC (SqueezeCenter) work together.

SN is a separate mode that you can put Slim players into. When you do they disconnect from the local SC server and connect over the Internet to the SN server. This means that you can use them even when your local server is off. SlimRio does not support this SN mode.

When connected to SN you can do things like listen to the Pandora, last.fm, Rhapsody, Live365, MP3Tunes, RadioIO, RadioTime, Sirius and Slacker services. You can also listen to some Internet radio streams (i.e. MP3 and WMA based ones).

When SN first launched most of those services were only available on the Slim players when connected to SN direct. However they have been slowly making the same services available via your local SC server.

The SC server acts as a proxy, talking to the SN server and relaying the streams to the player. This means that you don't have to switch the player into SN mode to access most of the SN services now.

Conveniently this also means that some of the SN services are available to SlimRio now. Even though it can't connect to SN direct it can take advantage of the SC proxying to access most of them.

Hope that is clear...

P.S. you need SC 7.1 to access last.fm via SC