Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#31357 - 22/05/2001 04:18 Auto Volume adjustment
AndyGuy
new poster

My biggest wish would be for the excellent voladj kernel patch to be intergrated into the main empeg tree so that I don't have to manually update the kernel (also allow it to be switched on/off from the player software).

I mostly just have my empeg playing tracks at random and so have to continually adjust the volume without this patch. I really noticed it this weekend (8 hours of driving) as I had just got my empeg back after being repaired and it had been wiped as the harddisk died. It makes listening to some jazz tracks possible because they have quiet and loud sections.

Andy.

#31358 - 22/05/2001 05:55 Re: Auto Volume adjustment [Re: AndyGuy]
pim
addict

Loc: The Hague, the Netherlands
Rather than having the kernel adjust the volume, which makes the music loose its dynamics, I would like to be able to store a volume adjustment factor to each song in a playlist.

This adjustment factor could be calculated by emplode while it is uploading the song, or it could be calculated on a PC by some normilization tool, or it could be adjusted by hand (and taste).

#31359 - 22/05/2001 06:38 Re: Auto Volume adjustment [Re: pim]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Hmm... at 4000 songs, I would rather be able to have an auto adjustment (as long as I can turn it off). Dynamic range is not a big concern in a moving car (for me). Compression also is great for listening at low volumes... (such as at work through cheap speakers)

32GB (JUST UPGRADED!) Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#31360 - 22/05/2001 09:14 Re: Auto Volume adjustment [Re: pim]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I would like to be able to store a volume adjustment factor to each song in a playlist.

This has been discussed before.

#31361 - 22/05/2001 09:21 Re: Auto Volume adjustment [Re: AndyGuy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My biggest wish would be for the excellent voladj kernel patch to be intergrated into the main empeg tree so that I don't have to manually update the kernel (also allow it to be switched on/off from the player software).

I would like to see this as well, of course.

Hey, Empeg guys, here's an idea!

How about having the Voladj stuff already built into the kernel, but have its parameters set to "OFF" by default. Then, if we want to replace the init and stick an ioctl in there, we can do it ourselves. Whaddya think?

#31362 - 23/05/2001 03:00 Re: Auto Volume adjustment [Re: pim]
AndyGuy
new poster

I have some track, especially classical and jazz that have both quiet and loud sections, this is fine at home but in a noisy car I either cannot hear anything or it is too loud. That is the great thing about the voladj it makes it possible to listen and enjoy them in my car.

Andy.