Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3143 - 25/08/1999 02:33 Power consumption
Cadders
new poster

Loc: Concept 2000, Farnborough
Okay, I've read the technical specifications and know how much juice the unit needs, but is this more or less than a normal cassette type thing? Its just I've only got a tiny car and don't want to drain the battery by listening to it with the engine off.

Also whilst I'm here, does the vacuum display used give the same type of quality as a comparable TFT for instance. I've never really heard of vacuum displays before so am just a little curious.

Cadders,
Number 10163 in the queue. I fear I'll be in for a bit of a wait.

#3144 - 25/08/1999 13:27 Re: Power consumption [Re: Cadders]
Clarke
journeyman

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ USA
The empeg draws just over half an amp of current at peak (my measurement - YMMV). The big user of current isn't going to be the empeg but rather the amp(s) that the empeg is driving. With a large amp and playing loud music you could suck your battery dry after a while. How long that interveral is depends on your battery, it's state of charge, and the current pulled by the amp. I wouldn't think that short-term, loud music would be a problem but hours of music would be.

The VFD is not as high a resolution as a TFT display would be. It's not bad though - very legible outside of direct sunlight and it has some level of grey scaling so it's not on/off. A TFT would be a nice solution for a rev 2 empeg but I suspect that the engineering and costs (at empeg quantity levels) would make it prohibitive at least for a while.

Cheers,

=-Clarke

______________________________________ Queue 351, Mk I, 30GB Mk II #60000022 80gb, Blue - docked Mk2a, 80GB, Bruface, lighted buttons and dial