Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3145 - 25/08/1999 23:43 Help I get ignition noise in my Empeg!
Frank
new poster

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

I have a problem with Ignition noise (I think?) I hear it mostly when the player is in pause or
playing with low volume. Anyway the engines revolution speed sounds in the speakers.

I do have mounted the filter on the empeg +leed

+BAT-FUSE---FILTER----EMPEG
-BAT-----------------EMPEG

And I have also mounted the audio ground leeds in the AMP end of the audio cable.
(I have also tried without the audio ground leeds, but no changes).
The audio ground leeds is connected to the car bodywork.

1: Audio leeds (5 meter / 200 Inch.)
2: Audio ground leeds

EMPEG--1----------------------------12--2-AMP

The AMP is mounted in the trunk.
The AMP is supplied with an 7G wire straight from the battery, but not filtered.

(List 142, S/N 00032, 4 gig blue)

#3146 - 26/08/1999 09:03 Re: Help I get ignition noise in my Empeg! [Re: Frank]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
One note: ensure that the audio leads coming from the back of the empeg are not touching any metalwork (ideally, wrap insulation tape around the connections) - as the gold-plated phonos have metal casings, it's quite easy to ground them accidentally, whereas they *should* be grounded only at the amplifier end, using the supplied leads.

The grounding leads "earth" connection should go to the "GND" terminal on the amplifier, not the bodywork, to ensure there's as small a voltage differential between the audio grounds and the amp ground.

Hugo

#3147 - 27/08/1999 10:59 Re: Help I get ignition noise in my Empeg! [Re: Frank]
Cambscar
journeyman

Loc: Cambridge, UK
I have a problem with Ignition noise (I think?)

Is it a whine, or a regular clicking noise? If it's whine, then it's probably caused directly or indirectly by spurious AC coming from the alternator. If it's a clicking, then it's more likely to be either ignition or injector noise.

Further to what Hugo's said, try running the Empeg power ground lead to the same earth point in the vehicle as the amp, make sure that the filter in the feed to the Empeg isn't anywhere near the signal cables at the back of the unit, and that your signal cables are run well away from any original cabling in the car.

If you've tried all of that, and you're still having problems, feel free to email me directly ([email protected]), and I'll see what else I can come up with.

Dominic

Cambridge Car Audio
http://www.cambscaraudio.co.uk