Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3148 - 27/08/1999 03:14 Consumer unit image / Developer unit image
Frank
new poster

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

What is the difference? (Consumer unit image / Developer unit image)

(List 142, S/N 00032, 4 gig blue)

#3149 - 27/08/1999 03:41 Re: Consumer unit image / Developer unit image [Re: Frank]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The consumer image has just the player on there (well, that & libraries). You can't get a shell prompt.

The developer image has the player (a slightly more debug-enabled build), plus bash, zmodem, some unix tools, etc, and a way of leaving the player and getting to the shell (really easy on beta5c).

There's really no point in using the developer image if you don't want to play with unix - but there's very little performance penalty.

Hugo

#3150 - 16/10/1999 20:05 Re: Consumer unit image / Developer unit image [Re: altman]
PaulWay@home
new poster

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
OK. I've got the serial connection working (after finally discovering that you had to set no flow control (i.e. no RTS/CTS or XON/XOFF handshaking. Trap for young players.)

We're using Beta 7b, and it seems to set up OK, but I can't get it to go into shell. It allows me to get into pump mode (whatever that is) via hitting Ctrl-A, but even holding down the 'q' key during the entire boot sequence doesn't seem to get a shell.

In Verement's journal he says he was able to get shell by pressing 'q ENTER', but this doesn't work for me either.

Suggestions?

Feed the Hungry. Save the Whales. Free the Mallocs.

#3151 - 17/10/1999 02:29 Re: Consumer unit image / Developer unit image [Re: altman]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
Hugo,

I had the 6a developers image installed earlier; am now in 7b consumer. Am I right in assuming that all the the developer's stuff has been cleaned out now?

Henno

#3152 - 17/10/1999 03:42 Re: Consumer unit image / Developer unit image [Re: Henno]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Yes, everything on the root partition is replaced when you upgrade your image.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#3153 - 17/10/1999 03:44 Re: Consumer unit image / Developer unit image [Re: PaulWay@home]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
If you wait for the player to get going and then hit q then enter the player will exit to a shell itself. It is a bit difficult sometimes to catch it before the player starts :-)

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)