Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3157 - 31/08/1999 08:06 Mounting w/ factory head unit
spoulson
new poster

I have a 97 Eclipse with the premium stereo (double DIN, tape+cd+cdchanger). I would consider the empeg car but there is one thing bothering me about the concept. I can swap the double-DIN unit for the cd-only single-DIN to make room for another unit, however, what then? How do I get the empeg car to work in conjunction with the factory head unit? I really really don't want to go aftermarket as I feel factory infinity components are quite good and look great in the car. Plus I don't know any aftermarket units that have auxillary inputs. I've had an Alpine cd and Eclipse 5302 CD in my last car and both were high end and didn't have aux input.

Any ideas?

---
Shawn Poulson
[email protected]

#3158 - 02/09/1999 14:47 Re: Mounting w/ factory head unit [Re: spoulson]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Hi, Shawn --

You are not the first person to ask a similar question on this BBS. I think I may be overlooking something about this whole idea, because I don't understand why anybody would want to keep their original head unit in addition to the empeg. With the empeg (at least from all the preliminary reports I have heard) you have a very high quality, attractive unit that will outperform in every regard whatever you currently have installed. Think of it as a better CD player with a built in 100 Disk changer and full instant random access to any track.

There are a few down sides, but I don't consider them serious. There's no AM radio (gee, I can't listen to Rush Limbaugh and G Gordon Liddy while I'm driving. BFD.) And you do have to purchase and install an external amplifier, but if you were heavily concerned with sound quality you would have done that already!

Don't think of the empeg as complicating your life by making you figure out all sorts of weird connections. Simplify - go with just the empeg, and you will find that you have greatly enhanced your music capabilities.

Good listening...

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"