Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#323120 - 09/06/2009 13:41 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
One "hack" way of using an extra battery is to attach the bottom of the case with velcro. And replace the few screws that gold the battery in place with velcro as well. That should simplify a battery swap.

You can also carry a car battery and inverter to use along with your existing power supply.

#323121 - 09/06/2009 17:23 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
As it stands now, there is no real, non-hack, option for having an external battery pack for a MacBook.

These don't look all that hacky to me. These on the other hand do.

Originally Posted By: tonyc
The external battery packs don't help unless Apple licenses MagSafe, which they haven't.

This thread has a few people that have bought the HyperMac batteries.

#323122 - 09/06/2009 17:38 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
The MagSafe cable and connector is manufactured by Apple, Inc and modified to be compatible with HyperMac.

I'm pretty sure that means "We buy power supplies from Apple and hack off the MagSafe connector".

Not to mention that you then have to have this external battery hanging off your MacBook. They could at least have sized it so that you could just slip it under the laptop's base.

Edited by wfaulk (09/06/2009 17:42)

#323123 - 09/06/2009 18:26 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Of course one benefit with these external packs is that you don't have to zero-power sleep (hibernate and un-hibernate) or worse, shut down, your machine to hook them up. And another is that they're available in capacities much higher than the internal batteries.

Edited by hybrid8 (09/06/2009 18:30)

#323124 - 09/06/2009 18:45 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The MagSafe cable and connector is manufactured by Apple, Inc and modified to be compatible with HyperMac.

I'm pretty sure that means "We buy power supplies from Apple and hack off the MagSafe connector".

True enough, but the pictures (including the users pictures on Mac Rumors) show a very clean cable. Unless you told someone, "hey, this cable is all hacked together, don't buy it!", noone would really care. The product appears to work, and provides functions that a single spare battery for a laptop wouldn't. It's a solution to get more runtime for people who are "stuck with" a longer running sealed in battery.

I guess in the same vein, I used a hacked solution to get the empeg into my car, since it didn't come with the vehicle and I had to cut cables during install.

#323125 - 09/06/2009 18:53 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

And to bring the thread back a bit to other WWDC news, it looks like the iPhone will finally be able to access files on an iDisk officially. Several various 3rd party programs have existed to do similar, however the Apple one will also allow easy e-mailing of any file on the disk to someone, by moving it into a public section of the iDisk and e-mailing a URL. Still not quite as nice as just exposing the file system and allowing files to be synced, but handy nonetheless.

source, towards the bottom.

Also, for anyone with 3.0 and MobileMe, Locate my iPhone is up and running now. I'll hopefully never lose my phone, but it's good to know I have a chance at recovering it now. I'm betting a similar feature shows up for future Mac laptops, as 10.6 has Core Location built in and uses it to set the time zone automatically.

#323126 - 09/06/2009 19:28 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

You might also be able to make an argument for Apple's own power bricks being hacks. They might source the magsafe connector from one company, the cable assembly from another and the power brick from a third. A fourth company could put it all together for them. There's at least one company involved in constructing that brick and possibly up to 4, not including internal components. None of those companies is Apple.

Someone enterprising enough should be able to get at least some connectors from their manufacturer - without Apple's approval even.

#323127 - 09/06/2009 20:05 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The big difference being that Apple supports their branded products. (More specifically, they're probably not reverse-engineered. I know, it's just a power connector, but there's some facility/protocol for charging the internal battery or not, not to mention that there are four conductors.) If your MacBook power supply dies and Apple discovers that you've had an unauthorized power supply connected, you might be out of luck. Actually, that's probably in violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (in the US), but have fun arguing with Apple about that. And I'm not defending Apple doing that. I'm just saying that it's another example of Apple/Jobs telling us that they know what's best. "This is all the power you'll ever need, and I don't even see the people who are telling me that's not true."

#323128 - 09/06/2009 20:35 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I think it's much more about engineering and design tradeoffs. It would simply not have been possible to make an enclosure as robust as the one used now in the unibody machines had they incorporated a removable battery.

There may be some deluded people at Apple that think that their way is the only way, but in all my dealings with people at the company, they know fully well when limitations exist. They're simply targetting the most consumers they can. The others, usually the more advanced anyway, can find their own way to their solutions.

There are plenty of third-party replaceable batteries available for older machines as well, and they come with their own warranties. I'm pretty sure that in the US consumers are covered by the same act you mentioned (from Apple voiding their warranties). Of course that's not likely to cover a defective third party product directly or indirectly causing damage to the computer through something like fire. But then you might just have a lot more to worry about that a broken computer. wink

I like the current design because it fits my usage very well. I absolutely agree that there are people out there that won't find the situation ideal. However, the battery life is significantly improved from previous generations, so those affected customers should number even fewer than ever before.

#323129 - 09/06/2009 22:16 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
They're simply targetting the most consumers they can.

By failing to offer an Apple-branded external battery?

With their industrial designers, they could have come up with something really sexy.

But they still fail to offer a docking station. If they did, I would have pushed really hard for my office to standardize on Apple laptops, but without a docking station, I simply can't do it. And I'm far from the only IT guy with that opinion.

While I'm complaining, they really should have put a MagSafe port on both sides of the laptops.

Edited by wfaulk (09/06/2009 22:23)

#323130 - 09/06/2009 23:16 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

But they still fail to offer a docking station. If they did, I would have pushed really hard for my office to standardize on Apple laptops, but without a docking station, I simply can't do it. And I'm far from the only IT guy with that opinion.

Apple Docking Station. I have to admit, I'm really surprised to hear that the main holdup from doing a major platform shift to OS X is due to the inability to slide a laptop into some contraption to avoid hooking cables up or using wireless devices.

Or were you planning on using Windows only on the standardized Apple laptops?

Much like removable batteries, very few people have a true need for a dock. I think what Bruno was trying to say is that Apple targets the widest market they can with the smallest lineup of products. This is likely due to the disaster that Apple was in the 90s with tons of products with no clear indication what each product was good for.

Quote:
While I'm complaining, they really should have put a MagSafe port on both sides of the laptops.

I don't have a great grasp of electrical engineering, but this screams bad idea to me. I can't think of a single product that offers multiple power plugs to be plugged in, unless it is for redundancy and connected to independent power supplies. I could see wanting ports on both sides, but by the time you satisfy everyone, you have duplicated every port.

#323132 - 10/06/2009 00:06 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: drakino]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I'm sure Apple looks at the numbers of second batteries that they sell versus the number of laptops they sell, and it probably becomes very clear that there's no point in supporting such a small market segment. I'll bet it's a similar story with docking stations.

(Also, for what it's worth, I bought the docking station for my old HP Omnibook 500, and it turned out to have a roughly 10% chance of electrically frying its motherboard every time I connected it. After four replacement motherboards, I got them to swap it out for the newer Omnibook 510 and I gave up on the docking station altogether. I'm sure if Apple tried to build a modern docking station, they'd do one that actually worked, but it wouldn't be cheap.)

#323133 - 10/06/2009 00:34 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

You've made that bogus argument before, Tom. Just because you might not find it useful doesn't mean other people don't.

Ignoring the wires trailing all over the place, I can't spend $900 for a "docking station", especially where most of the cost is something I already have and would have to get rid of. Not to mention the fact that it still won't allow me to have multiple monitors. (And, no, the laptop screen is not enough.)

With the systems I have now, when the laptop is docked, I get two 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 screens via DVI or DisplayPort, gigabit ethernet, a number of USB ports, and power, and less significantly, serial, parallel, PS/2, a VGA output, and, I believe, an eSATA port. All by simply setting the laptop down.

And, yes, dual monitors is significant. And twenty times the bandwidth. And not having to constantly plug and unplug, considering my users carry them around the office all the time.

And I don't know what we might do if we went to Apple hardware. Because there's not any point in even bringing it up without it meeting certain requirements.

#323134 - 10/06/2009 00:44 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

By failing to offer an Apple-branded external battery?

I was talking about the decision to make the notebook the way it was made, not about releasing another product.

The choice to make or not make an external battery comes down to ROI. While a particular ratio may seem fine for a smaller company, Apple has much loftier requirements. They likely can't justify the costs in designing and marketing such a product. I can imagine the return would be miniscule.

The same exact hypothesis applies to a dock. I could probably use one once in a while, but it's not that big a deal for me. Most people I've worked with in a corporate environment weren't using them for their various Windows machines either. Of course notebook purchases were also far from standardized.

Personally I like not having a ton of trap doors and loose bits on my machine. I'd sooner have a multi-card reader built-in than an external battery designed by Apple, a removable battery or a desktop dock.

I'd also consider it of greater benefit to have a fuel door on each side of the car (than I would two power connectors on something as small as a notebook) rather than just on one side - but no one does that either.

The machines aren't perfect. They're just head and shoulders (and miles) better than anything else. Even the plain MacBook in the plastic casing is better than any notebook produced by any other manufacturer at any price point. Sometimes being the best still means something's the best of what's available, not as good as it can possibly be. IMO, there's no such thing as a "perfect 10" in anything.

I'll complain about something with the MBP17. If you opt for the anti-glare screen, you don't get a black bezel around the display. It's plain aluminum colored, reminiscent of the older PowerBooks and MacBook Pros. I do realize that it's because the glossy screens have a sheet of glass across the whole front of the top lid, covering the screen, but I just wish they'd anodize or paint the bezel black when you're adding $50 for the screen option.

#323137 - 10/06/2009 01:27 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Following Bruno, if Apple were to offer any meaningful option on its machines, I'd say they should offer matte screens everywhere. I'd much prefer a matte screen on my iMac or MacBook Air, and the anti-glare thing I put on the iMac isn't nearly as nice as a plain old matte screen.

#323140 - 10/06/2009 02:35 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

You've made that bogus argument before, Tom. Just because you might not find it useful doesn't mean other people don't.

I'm aware of that, and only brought it back up because you made it sound as if the dock connector is the reason you are holding back on switching to Apple hardware at the office. On the flip side of pointing out bogus arguments, just because you require a dock doesn't mean everyone does.

Clearly you have found solutions that meet your needs, and those needs just happen to not be met by one of many computer companies out there. In this particular case, not dealing with cables, and needing multiple monitors is higher on your priority list then running OS X. For others, including myself, the OS is usually much higher on my list, as I have grown to really dislike Windows.

#323171 - 10/06/2009 20:05 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Take-apart of the new 13" MBP at iFixIt.com so you can see just how rammed everything is inside that case.

#323172 - 10/06/2009 20:32 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

It's not soldered onto the board? It's still got a plastic case, even a pull tab?

I was kind of wishy-washy about the whole unreplaceable battery thing, but there is no reason that couldn't be user-accessible.

#323173 - 10/06/2009 20:56 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I was kind of wishy-washy about the whole unreplaceable battery thing, but there is no reason that couldn't be user-accessible.

If it was user accessible like the last model unibody 13 inch MacBook, it would be a smaller capacity battery. Mostly due to needing to isolate the battery compartment from the rest of the machine to ensure people don't damage the mainboard. The casing on the battery would also likely need to be thicker to ensure it is not punctured easily while stored in a laptop bag, once again trimming back space that could be used for storing energy. Apple has their batteries custom engineered for their machines, and they pack them as full as they can. Most other manufacturers still use round cells, and just tie them together and put them in a plastic case. On their MacBook Pro page they even have a battery video to show the difference. It's likely a bit exaggerated in the diagram, but the point is still there that for Apple, a removable battery means wasted space and less power.

#323175 - 10/06/2009 22:23 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: drakino]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: drakino
Most other manufacturers still use round cells, and just tie them together and put them in a plastic case. On their MacBook Pro page they even have a battery video to show the difference.

That is a Lithium Ion vs Lithium Polymer difference and not something Apple is asking for specially. Other laptops which use Lithium Polymer batteries also use rectangular cells.

#323176 - 10/06/2009 22:41 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: tman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I think the most obvious thing is that people claiming that Apple could make this battery removable have never seen/used a new unibody machine in person.

There's no reason Apple couldn't have put a second LCD onto ever notebook either. Think about it, they could just put some hinges on the current screen so the second one would flip out from behind.

There's also no reason they couldn't have put an OLED panel into the track pad to show the current time. Or a row of green LEDs along the palm rest area, one for HD read access, one for write, one for idle, one for WiFi availability, one for BlueTooth (though this one would be blue of course, duh!), a red one to indicate that caps lock isn't being used and a one that shines super bright white to let you know when your display is asleep.

If you can imagine, somewhere to the right of that would be a physical switch to turn on/off the wifi and and another for BT.

Personally, I'm glad they didn't.

#323177 - 10/06/2009 23:30 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: hybrid8]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
What a silly point. Saying that they "could have done X" to the Macbook Pro (where X is a crazy feature nobody has ever asked for) doesn't mean that taking away feature Y (where Y is a feature many users find useful) is a good thing.

The actual space/weight savings of going from removable battery to built-in are negligible. Two of my coworkers have unibody MBPs, and they're a bit slimmer, but I suspect that has more to do with incremental improvements in design than the removal of a little bit of materials for the battery compartment. (My Macbook Pro is a lot thinner than my old Powerbook G4, after all.)

Besides, if having a light, small machine is that important, you should get a Macbook Air. The Macbook Pro line has always been the slightly bulkier but more powerful line, where users are willing to trade a bit of size/weight for performance/features.

#323181 - 11/06/2009 01:06 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: tonyc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I didn't say anything about weight. That was Tom. There's a lot more to the the built-in battery than weight. I use a 17" MBP, so size/weight aren't of huge concern (not within Apple's ranges anyway).

Originally Posted By: tonyc
What a silly point. Saying that they "could have done X" to the Macbook Pro (where X is a crazy feature nobody has ever asked for) doesn't mean that taking away feature Y (where Y is a feature many users find useful) is a good thing.

I thought I'd make my point fun, but it wasn't silly. If it were silly, why would so many other manufacturers put in exactly the features I described? If no one wants those features why are they in every POS notebook made by every POS manufacturer like Acer, Toshiba, Dell, etc. ?

Seriously, you overestimate, by orders of magnitude, how many people care at all about a removable battery. I'm a power user and I don't. I'm not using myself as an extension of the market at large of course. But I know people who have used notebooks for years and have no clue that their batteries even come out, let alone how to remove them. You seriously over-estimate the notebook buying public.

As I've said previously, I saw the figure of about 1% tossed around, but I suspect it's even lower than that.

What I do care about is using the best notebook money can buy. Would the MBP still be the best with a removable battery? Damn straight. Would the battery be as high capacity as it is now? Not likely. Would the unibody structure suffer from the extra trap door? Yes it would. It would still be the best, just not as good as it is now.

As long as the battery can be replaced when it's no longer optimally functional, the current design is well suited to the 98%+ of people who don't argue about this stuff in forums and the 1% who do and can live with it. The other 1%? Sorry, I don't have an answer for them except to give it a try.

I'm not trying to say that you're wrong for wanting a removable battery. That desire can't be wrong. What I'm saying is that the decision wasn't made to screw the percentage of people who care about that sort of thing. It was made to create the best notebook experience for the largest consumer segment possible. Many things likely factor into that, including weight, size, energy capacity and of course cost.

It's just not a concern for the vast majority of customers. There are a number of things, outside the gimicky garbage I mentioned previously, that I'd really like to see in Apple's notebook line that isn't in there now or has never been there before.

And no, a biometric sensor is definitely not one of those things. wink

#323182 - 11/06/2009 02:52 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

My old Thinkpad had a fingerprint sensor. I kinda liked it, in terms of sitting in a public place like an airport and not worrying about shoulder surfing. If Apple were to have a biometric sensor, maybe they'd do it in some other sort of cool fashion, like face recognition via the camera. But then they'd have to come up with some kind of make sure the person is really not just a photograph detector. Hmm... Maybe it asks you to blink your eyes in some pattern?

#323185 - 11/06/2009 03:27 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: tman]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tman
That is a Lithium Ion vs Lithium Polymer difference and not something Apple is asking for specially. Other laptops which use Lithium Polymer batteries also use rectangular cells.

I know, though Apple does seem to be specifying the lithium polymer size, where as other manufactures may just take stock size X, Y or Z. I've actually been disappointed by the generally slow adoption of lithium polymer batteries, as my old iPaq in 2000 used one. Compaq also went the route of building a sealed in, non removable, form fitting battery.

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
I didn't say anything about weight. That was Tom.

I wasn't trying to imply anything about weight either. I was talking more about the volume of space required to support a removable battery. Taking a laptop with identical dimensions, a laptop with a user removable battery will have a smaller percentage of the total volume dedicated to storing energy compared to a laptop with a non user removable battery. And with the Apple laptops, it's enough of a difference to add around 40% more energy capacity based on the specs.

#323186 - 11/06/2009 03:37 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Going back to other aspects of WWDC, anyone else think that the lone MacBook is a sign that Apple is working on a lower priced laptop to compete against the netbook craze? It seems odd that they now have a very large Pro family, but only one model of MacBook. Even the Air offers 2 different models spec wise.

#323187 - 11/06/2009 03:44 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: DWallach]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:
It was made to create the best notebook experience for the largest consumer segment possible.

I think that's the heart of the problem. I really enjoy professional gear. Camera, scuba, computer, audio any just about anything else. Do 90% of consumers need weather sealed buttons and a special button that resets to the default focus point? No. Do 90% of consumers need firewire? No. Do 90% of consumers need headphones that started out as in ear monitors for musicians on stage? No.

I don't need any of those things. However, I appreciate them and the polish and functionality that you get for paying the premium.

"Pro" is now just a marketing term in cupertino. They're looking to sell as many macbook pros to the people walking though the mall. Is it still the best laptop available? Yes. However, it's not the best laptop Apple could have built.

#323188 - 11/06/2009 03:58 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: drakino]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:
anyone else think that the lone MacBook is a sign that Apple is working on a lower priced laptop to compete against the netbook craze?

I'm expecting a "macbook lite". 10 inch screen. Some combination of plastic and aluminum for price and design continuity. 32GB SSD standard. $699. Hopefully with a low end Core2Dio. In my dreams it takes standard magsafe adapters instead of the MBA ones.

Snow leopard is 6GB smaller than Leopard when installed. Who the hell cares? No one. Except someone installing it on a 32GB SSD.

#323190 - 11/06/2009 05:04 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

If it was user accessible like the last model unibody 13 inch MacBook, it would be a smaller capacity battery.

Yeah, I'm just not buying that any more.

Mostly due to needing to isolate the battery compartment from the rest of the machine to ensure people don't damage the mainboard.

There already is such a separator.

The casing on the battery would also likely need to be thicker to ensure it is not punctured easily while stored in a laptop bag, once again trimming back space that could be used for storing energy.

Maybe. Then again, if one of the sides was the bottom cover, you'd regain some space. And the new connector seems to take up at least as much space as a contact connector would.

Apple has their batteries custom engineered for their machines, and they pack them as full as they can.

So they could reduce the battery by 1% to accomodate that stuff and only lose like 4 minutes. That's well within the margin of error on those estimates.

Honestly, I really feel like Apple has an ulterior motive with this non-removable battery thing.

On their MacBook Pro page they even have a battery video to show the difference.

Apparently because I have Quicktime 7.6.0 instead of 7.6.2, I can't watch that video. And I don't really feel like rebooting to bother. (I really don't understand why upgrading Quicktime necessitates a reboot.)

#323194 - 11/06/2009 11:33 Re: WWDC 2009 thread [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Honestly, I really feel like Apple has an ulterior motive with this non-removable battery thing.

Read my message Bitt. Apple has many reasons, including cost. It's not "ulterior" though. Just a standard part of doing business.

Having an internal battery also cuts down on plastics and other waste, both pre and post consumer.

Originally Posted By: matthew_k
However, it's not the best laptop Apple could have built.

I completely agree. But I also think this is the case with products from most manufacturers, including Nikon and Canon to relate to the photo examples you mentioned.

I don't think anyone ever build the best possible. It's always the "best possible considering."

We can sit here all day, for multiple days, coming up with reasons for the change and reasons why/how they could have done it differently.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >